Author Topic: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread  (Read 307127 times)

Offline Syrion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 09:20:31 am »
The modsite didn't work for me either. Use the Dropbox link sfalexrog posted on the previous page (post #12) :)

Offline ufomesh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 10:54:06 am »
Oh, thanks! I've already downloaded and installed it. I thought there's another newer version already.
I wonder who CAN download from that site, because counter shows some ammount of downloads

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 03:01:48 pm »
can anybody else confirm the touchscreen imprecision at BattleScape on their Android devices, as reported by me and Syrion?

I was wondering if by any chance if might be caused by hi-resolution devides, or unusual resolutions?

The display resolution of Open XCom on my LG G Pad is showing as 1920 x 1114. But real display resolution of the device is 1920 x 1200.

Offline HunterZ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:15 pm »
It felt a bit off for me at first, but I think it was just that you have to get used to tapping where there feet are, especially when you can only see a soldier from the waist up.

I play on a 720p-ish 2012 Nexus 7.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
It felt a bit off for me at first, but I think it was just that you have to get used to tapping where there feet are, especially when you can only see a soldier from the waist up.

I play on a 720p-ish 2012 Nexus 7.

but as I said before, it´s way off-target for me. If I tap where their feet are, I won´t be able to select them. I have to tap LEFT of them.

So basically you confirmed me the inverse of what I asked. If you must tap at their feet, then the problem is NOT happening on all Android devices. I will try to take a photo showing where I have to tap...

Offline HunterZ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 06:18:27 pm »
but as I said before, it´s way off-target for me. If I tap where their feet are, I won´t be able to select them. I have to tap LEFT of them.

So basically you confirmed me the inverse of what I asked. If you must tap at their feet, then the problem is NOT happening on all Android devices. I will try to take a photo showing where I have to tap...
Are the Android buttons on your device software ones that are drawn on the screen, or are they physical buttons?

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51:20 pm »
Sorry for my long absence, especially with these bugs around! There's a new build up, which may or may not fix the issues you're having; the touch imprecision seems to affect the game when the screen is letterboxed, and I didn't encounter that behavior because I usually play with window size of 1280x800 (I turn off software buttons) and/or with battlescape scale of 1/3, though there might still be some issues (and THAT would be puzzling).

So, new build! Based on upstream 395e967e.

Changeset:
  • (Hopefully) fix the touchscreen issues in Battlescape. Please tell me your experience with that!
  • Rudimentary multi-touch support on Battlescape: you can now change camera level by swiping two fingers up or down. Got this idea from Android Xcom2012, but can't really force myself to use this. Maybe your experience will differ?
  • You can now pre-prime grenades in pre-battle inventory. Just long tap on the grenade and set its explosion timer! Long tap on a primed grenade to put the pin back in.
  • There are some internal changes to the UI. They shouldn't be visible, but if you find a button on the Battlescape that doesn't work or behaves weirdly, please tell me so!

As usual, the new version is posted on the mod portal, but for those who are having trouble downloading it, here's a Dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-1.0-g8e47898-bundle.apk

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 07:01:02 pm »
Are the Android buttons on your device software ones that are drawn on the screen, or are they physical buttons?

you mean the "home", "return" and "menu" Android buttons? They are software. Like in the image below

Offline HunterZ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 07:04:50 pm »
Hmm, mine are software too, so I guess it must be that letterboxing thing.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 07:23:31 pm »
  • (Hopefully) fix the touchscreen issues in Battlescape. Please tell me your experience with that!

it worked!!!! It's awesome!

It was incredibly frustating before... I guess people can imagine how frustrating it is to tap somewhere and it recognize the tap half a centimeter to the side!

Thus now when I tried it again, it was just so awesome, just to tap where I wanted and the cursor showing that exact place!

Thanks a lot!

Offline Syrion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:35 am »
I can confirm that the controls seem much more precise now :)

Playing this version is actually the very first time that I play X-Com seriously, getting further than only the first terror mission :D It plays just about flawlessly on my phone and I haven't encountered a single bug on it.
I've also tried it on my Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, on which plays very comfortably due to the increased screen size. Though, only on the Tab I get the "stuck key" bug when for example purchasing stuff. I consecutively tap on for example the upper arrow to increase the amount of scientists I want to buy, and at some point the button gets stuck and the number increases ludicrously fast. Tapping the button again frees it, so it's not a major problem, but rather annoying. Also only on the Tab, it's sometimes nearly impossible to center the view on an enemy in sight. The little red "1" is shown in the corner of the screen, but when I tap it, it only sets a path for my unit to move. It even shows the description of the button, but it doesn't work. I haven't figured out where or how to tap it to make it work, it just sometimes does.
Finally, I really don't like the "swipe unit to turn view" function. When I mean to use it, I rarely make it work, whereas I often trigger it accidently while dragging the view around, wasting precious time units. I find that "long press tile to turn" works very well already, so if possible it should at least be an option :)

Offline HunterZ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »
I get the "stuck key" bug when for example purchasing stuff. I consecutively tap on for example the upper arrow to increase the amount of scientists I want to buy
I wonder if this is why I've never encountered it on my 2012 Nexus 7... I always hold the button down instead of repeatedly tapping it.

Finally, I really don't like the "swipe unit to turn view" function. When I mean to use it, I rarely make it work, whereas I often trigger it accidently while dragging the view around, wasting precious time units. I find that "long press tile to turn" works very well already, so if possible it should at least be an option :)
This describes my experience as well.

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 02:26:46 am »
I'm fixing the download on the modsite. It will be working soon. I will comment again when it's working again.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 04:15:45 pm »
wow... I am loving it... the precision is very good now!

I wonder if it would be possible to zoom in and out with your fingers (instead of going to video options to change battlefield zoom)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:15 am »
Great work. Thx