Author Topic: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread  (Read 308340 times)

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 12:16:13 pm »
Once again, new build!

Changeset:
  • Fixed bug with soldiers turning after loading a savegame;
  • Fixed some battlescape layout issues;
  • Shooting/item using menu and grenade priming window can now be closed by tapping outside of them;
  • Shot preview crosshair behaves like an ordinary crosshair (animated yellow when targeting a unit, red otherwise)

It's already been uploaded to the modsite, so sorry for the late post. Backup dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-1.0-gea133a1-bundle.apk

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 06:36:54 pm »
don´t seem to there be much more stuff in the to-do list. The previous version, with the fix for tapping in different resolutions had already made it completely playable. I played it on the bed, before going to sleep, the last two nights, for a total of 6 hours at least.

I will keep my eye on any eventual bug, but so far, it´s awesome! Everything I wanted on Android!

Only thing I miss is opening doors without needing to go through them. Preferably without needing to stay right in front of them too (from the diagonal would be nice)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:40:50 pm by aceshigh »

Offline Syrion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 09:03:30 pm »
Thanks for all your work and the quick fixes! As aceshigh said this is a fully, and surprisingly comfortably, playable port :) I'm loving it!

I guess what this port could use the most now would be even more touch-focused controls. Like I said, I don't like the "swipe to turn" function, whereas I think switching levels by swiping with two fingers works well and makes gameplay a bit more fluid, especially when embarking from the Skyranger. I just sometimes find that you switch levels too quickly, making you sometimes "overshoot" and switch several levels at ones. Maybe the range for swiping until the view changes 1 level should be higher, or maybe it would even be a bit more comfortable if you could only switch 1 level at a time, but I'm not sure.

Concerning opening doors, a natural way could be that they are opened by long pressing on them, but only when the selected unit already stands next to it and faces it. This way, if a soldier walks up to the door, the first long press on it might still make him only look at the door, if that's what you want him to do. If you want to open it, another long press would do that.

Regarding "force firing": When I started playing OpenXcom, I hoped it would be automatically triggered if you tried to shoot an enemy again when no line of sight is available. I don't know how hard that is to program, but it would again be a rather natural way of doing it without the need for an extra button. You would just aim and tap on the unit, which triggers the "No line of sight" warning sign, and if you still do it again, the unit would just "force fire".

Finally, I've read that in OpenXcom on PC you can cancel a unit's movement by right clicking. I understand that this means you can stop a unit while it is already walking? If so, that would be another great addition to your port. Since you can't really do anything else while a unit walks, anyway, why not make it so just tapping (or double-tapping so it doesn't happen accidently) anywhere during movement would stop it? This would also reduce the severity of mis-tapping.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:46:01 pm by Syrion »

x60mmx

Re: OpenXcom for Android - new official threa
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:45 pm »
I tried it on my Galaxy S4.  It works fine but the control in the battlescape makes it a no-play for me currently.  Major sticking point being turning.  Half the time I tried to turn I moved my troops.  In general I had a lot of accidental moves.  That's a dealbreaker for me with X-Com :-/ That aside, it is fantastic.  A hair away from being a dream come true!

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Set the path showing option on, therefore you have to tap twice the same spot for moving a soldier. Therefore a soldier will never move if you tap a spot once and keep pressing for the soldier to turn.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:58 pm »
Its creating for me now. Maybe because yesterday i tried installing the real view mod before realizing it replaced the .exe

Crashing when it loads the battlescape
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:02:01 pm by aceshigh »

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2014, 10:15:09 pm »
oh my god... it´s getting worse. Deleted all real vision files from Android OpenXCom folder. Deleted CFG file. Deleted Xcom1Ruleset.rul (the only file Real Vision installed in the data folder) and replaced it with the same file from the PC OpenXCom installation folder.

Now when entering battlescape, it doesn´t even reach the loading screen, it crashes as soon as soon as you click YES in "Begin Mission". (the loading screen it crashed before was that one between the "Begin Mission" screen and the inventory screen.

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:21 pm »
oh my god... it´s getting worse. Deleted all real vision files from Android OpenXCom folder. Deleted CFG file. Deleted Xcom1Ruleset.rul (the only file Real Vision installed in the data folder) and replaced it with the same file from the PC OpenXCom installation folder.

Now when entering battlescape, it doesn´t even reach the loading screen, it crashes as soon as soon as you click YES in "Begin Mission". (the loading screen it crashed before was that one between the "Begin Mission" screen and the inventory screen.

Did you save your game while you used the Real Vision mod? It adds new stat to the units: nightvision. And that can cause some problems.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:59 pm »
that's possible.

yesterday, when I installed it, Real Vision did not work but the game did not crash either and I played normal XCOM on it. Only today the game started crashing when entering battle scape.

is it possible to manually edit the save game files?

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:17 pm »
that's possible.

yesterday, when I installed it, Real Vision did not work but the game did not crash either and I played normal XCOM on it. Only today the game started crashing when entering battle scape.

is it possible to manually edit the save game files?

Yes. You need some editor like notepad. Notepad++ is thou recommended.

Check if the soldiers have that new nightvision stat on your save file. If they do have that, my suggestion is to remove every line on that save file that has nightvision on it. If you edit the file you must follow the YAML standard.

You should probably first try to start a new test game, and try if you can start battles there. If the new game works then you know if the problem is in the old save.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2014, 10:53:15 pm »
hmmm... no, actually game crashed when starting battlescape even in a new game.

what about options.cfg? Any change on it?

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2014, 10:59:01 pm »
hmmm... no, actually game crashed when starting battlescape even in a new game.

what about options.cfg? Any change on it?

It is then possible that it somehow corrupted your options. I don't know how that area works, but it happened to me once. It seemed that nothing was working, not the original game or my new modifications. I got it back to working when I clicked that "default options" on the game. It puts them back to default, but then you have to adjust all of them back to what you liked.

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:27 pm »
nope. Not even that worked.

BUT... SUCCESS!! Tried reinstalling the APK. And now it works again...

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2014, 11:41:41 pm »
nope. Not even that worked.

BUT... SUCCESS!! Tried reinstalling the APK. And now it works again...

Ok, good to hear.

I put a warning on the mod's read me that it will not probably work on non-windows systems. Let's hope people will now read those installation instructions :)

Offline demoness

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 01:18:08 am »
Thanks for making this port, it's great.

Only thing I miss is opening doors without needing to go through them. Preferably without needing to stay right in front of them too (from the diagonal would be nice)

About opening doors: I'm still two builds behind, but this is already possible. When a player-controlled unit with enough TUs is standing in range of a door and facing directly towards it, whether directly in front or diagonal, swipe towards the door as if you are trying to turn the seleted unit. In otherwords, if a unit is already facing a door, telling it to "turn" towards the door will cause the unit to open the door.

Very useful. However, as Syrion suggested earlier, a different method like longpress might be better, as the current method is easy to mess up. Maybe add an option that lets the user enable one or both methods?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:19:50 am by demoness »