aliens

Author Topic: the 80 item limit  (Read 35866 times)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: the 80 item limit
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2014, 10:27:44 pm »
default is no limit
there is a new mod that enable the 80 items

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2014, 10:42:34 pm »
You just illustrated perfectly the whole issue behind the 80 item limit: it forces the player to choose. To me that increases the challenge. :)

That's fine, but it's very easy to play with your own limitations that you impose on yourself without needing it coded in. I like to play without using blaster bombs or psionics because I feel those are extremely overpowered but I don't need a mod option for it. It's also fun to play pistols (laser/plasma included) only which is very fun until first you hit cyberdiscs and then later on sectopods and the game turns into run away from the terror units while trying to kill all the other aliens and then get to the choppa and retreat with hopefully positive score and any loot you can carry.

Also I believe you said 120 item limit for Avenger which is really enough as well. The item limit problem for me was never about stuff I could leave on the floor on the skyranger/lightning/avenger but the stuff that my soldiers couldn't carry with them into battle and limiting that by numbers seems very arbitrary.

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 12:00:23 am »
...it's in the nightly...

Not that I would ever use this but I wanted to test it for translations.

As of "2014_07_05_2112" the new mod doesn't seem to do anything.

Edit: Found the problem. The game is looking for "maxItems" whereas the mod defines the values as "items".

Edit2: Fixed now. Thankies.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:00:02 am by Ishmaeel »

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 05:59:07 pm »
I tried this with my old save.

I tried to add laser pistol into my Skyranger and as I expected it said that is is full. Probably exceeding the limit couple of times.

The problem is that after trying to add that laser pistol, it added 50 laser pistols to my stores and -42 on the Skyranger. Originally I had 2 laser pistols on my stores and 0 on Skyranger. I sold those 50 and checked out my Skyranger and luckily those strange -42 laser pistols had disappeared.

----

And +1 for weight limit instead of item limit. This would make it more tactical and have a reason to have those pistols on your commanders, so you could have some extra rockets or explosives.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:02:39 pm by Muukalainen »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2014, 10:14:00 pm »
Presumably your Skyranger was 50 items over the limit. There's not much we can do if you change mods mid-game, the game can't automatically guess how to try to restore it to a sane state that satisfies the sudden new restrictions.

Offline El Yahpo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:02 am »
I can see where you are coming from with wanting a limit, but my only qualm is if there is some way to exploit unlimited craft storage.

Maybe if the items you store on a craft also take up space in the base's stores. I really hate it when I can't take equipment off of my skyranger.

Edit: should I make a new topic for that idea?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2014, 10:23:27 am »
Maybe if the items you store on a craft also take up space in the base's stores. I really hate it when I can't take equipment off of my skyranger.

that's already the case :)

Offline animal310

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2014, 03:12:05 am »
Can somebody please explain how this has been implemented? Is it 80 item limit for all ships or different limits for different ships?

Ta

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2014, 04:29:04 am »
Looks like a new field called "maxItems" for each ship (section "  crafts:" of the ruleset)
When it's not defined (the default) or specifically set to 0, the number of items is unlimited.

A stock mod "Limit_Craft_Item_Capacities.rul" has been added which sets all limits to 80. Feel free to test and tweak.

Offline El Yahpo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2014, 09:45:00 am »
that's already the case :)
I see :P thanks, in that case I am completely against the storage limit, as bringing more stuff just increases the risk of losing it all on missions.

This also explains why there seemed to be less space than before XD

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2014, 10:25:34 am »
I see :P thanks, in that case I am completely against the storage limit, as bringing more stuff just increases the risk of losing it all on missions.

This also explains why there seemed to be less space than before XD

losing it by explosives? or by failing the mission?

so you are saying that there's a relevant choice to be made here, because bringing more stuff may mean losing more stuff... interesting point. I don't know how often you lose a craft, though... that's usually a "ragequit/reload" situation for me :P

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »
I play on Ironman and now on my second campaign on Openxcom. I have already exploded all my stuff couple of times :D Going to be more careful now with rocket launchers. Though it hurts less now as I have the limit on :)

Offline El Yahpo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:52 am »
losing it by explosives? or by failing the mission?

so you are saying that there's a relevant choice to be made here, because bringing more stuff may mean losing more stuff... interesting point. I don't know how often you lose a craft, though... that's usually a "ragequit/reload" situation for me :P

Me too XD But with the ironman option now I don't get that option.

Equipping your troops with more equipment can lead to more equipment lost (especially with judicial use of SSRL's), so both or valid risks. However, I wasn't considering the "incidental" loss of equippment since it's usually insignificant. (I haven't played much late game)

EDIT: Also, what if we could have an item limit in the craft tied to the number of max soldiers in the craft? HWP present a problem by increasing the item density per soldier? Nope! just have them count for however many items you get per soldier. Bam, strategical choice without unintuitive consequences.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:43:12 am by El Yahpo »

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 04:34:45 am »
Looks like a new field called "maxItems" for each ship (section "  crafts:" of the ruleset)
When it's not defined (the default) or specifically set to 0, the number of items is unlimited.

A stock mod "Limit_Craft_Item_Capacities.rul" has been added which sets all limits to 80. Feel free to test and tweak.

Tweak, tweak, TWEAK!

My skyranger is my portable base of operations.  Racks of ammo and grenades are in a crate in the back, packed neatly next to my men's socks and wife beater t-shirts.