Author Topic: [The Final Mod Pack] Basic Weapons part  (Read 38103 times)

niculinux

Re: [The Final Mod Pack] Basic Weapons part
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 09:55:42 pm »
...tryed but the sprites are messed up in the battlefield, regardeless the "enhanced sprites " option is activated:

(wielding submachinegun)

Edit: and occours with the majority of weapons, sch as LMG, thaser, submachinegn, flametrrower and shotgun
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:10:00 pm by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 10:13:00 pm »
...tryed but the sprites are messed up in the battlefield, regardeless the "enhanced sprites " option is activated:

Interesting. Well, it works for me, so I can't help you.
Looks like it's your first job as a mod fixer! :P

EDIT: Ran the mod through Falko's mod tester, came up with nothing relevant. Doesn't look like case sensitiveness.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:15:33 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 04:46:04 am »

(wielding submachinegun)

Edit: and occours with the majority of weapons, sch as LMG, thaser, submachinegn, flametrrower and shotgun
Looks like your soldiers developed telekinesis.

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:19 pm »

Gotta love that Predator-style shoulder launch missile.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 04:25:07 pm »
Some features certainly weren't planned, but I'm glad you're having fun. :P

Seriously though, is anyone else having similar problems? As I said, it works perfectly fine to me; now I don't know if it's the norm or an exception.

niculinux

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 10:04:57 am »
Thanks :D ok, a last ome, for the completed versikn of the mod, 2.0 or whatever may be added a couple of weapons toreplace heavy cannon and autocannon? I always sold them at the beginning of my game i remember xD

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 12:54:26 pm »
Thanks :D ok, a last ome, for the completed versikn of the mod, 2.0 or whatever may be added a couple of weapons toreplace heavy cannon and autocannon? I always sold them at the beginning of my game i remember xD

Why would I get rid of vanilla weapons only because you don't use them?

Besides, Heavy Cannon is the best starting weapon in the game. (Auto-Cannon is crap. :P)

niculinux

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 01:08:39 pm »
Why would I get rid of vanilla weapons only because you don't use them?

Besides, Heavy Cannon is the best starting weapon in the game. (Auto-Cannon is crap. :P)

That' either for personal taste and for modding preferences purposes :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:41 pm »
That' either for personal taste and for modding preferences purposes :D

Why don't you make a mod for yourself? It's the easiest to mod game I've ever seen. Check the IRC channel for help if you run into trouble.

Or you can, you know, not use weapons you don't like. :P

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 04:47:44 pm »
Why would I get rid of vanilla weapons
IMO, since you're making a pack you know the entire available inventory, so you can and should control redundancy.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2014, 05:15:10 pm »
IMO, since you're making a pack you know the entire available inventory, so you can and should control redundancy.

To take defense of Solars, building a complete mod as he is doing, including many new weapons (with sprites), new technology tree, crafts and so on, needs a huge investement and is heavy to drive

I am currently making my own mod (for more than a month ago) including most of nice available resources, and it is not always easy to deal with :
- interferences between mods (especially research, ...)
- mods stored under "Complete Mods" section but being in fact regularly evolving
- keep game vanilla quality (listOrder, translations, ...)

Give your feedback, make propositions and suggestions, try to convince with arguments, but keep in mind to have some indulgence

And in any case, you are able to get a big mod, and make some adaptations to fullfill your own expectations
 :)

PS : anyway, I agree with your point of view about redundancy  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:18:50 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2014, 06:08:26 pm »

Please rest assured that I am very careful about avoiding redundancy. I would hate to see the equipment list any longer than necessary. However, I am always prioritizing vanilla weapons to modded weapons - especially since no vanilla weapon is inherently bad at anything.
I do, however, accept the possibility of slightly changing vanilla weapons' stats. This has never come up yet (except adding new types of ammo), but I would like to leave this possibility open.

To take defense of Solars, building a complete mod as he is doing, including many new weapons (with sprites), new technology tree, crafts and so on, needs a huge investement and is heavy to drive

Modding itself isn't that time-consuming, it's the testing for balance that is taking weeks and weeks. Perhaps I should make a proper betatesting campaign and involve more people... But on the other hand, I prefer to fine-tune it myself before releasing it.

I'm also unsure if I haven't made the progress too slow - I lost the game on 30th of September and I still didn't have hand-held lasers or gauss weapons (though I did have craft weapons and tanks). Therefore I just made them a little bit more available by making a new item called Alien Data Slate, which can be found on Commanders (though not all of them - it's luck-based) and contain some technical information, so you don't have to interrogate quite as many Engineers. However, you need Alien Electronics and Alien Codes first, so it's still not rosy. That's why tests are so damn important...

Offline RedRedSuit

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »
Some features certainly weren't planned, but I'm glad you're having fun. :P

Seriously though, is anyone else having similar problems? As I said, it works perfectly fine to me; now I don't know if it's the norm or an exception.

I am having this problem definitely!  I posted about it in https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2027.390.  By the looks of it, this guy is running on Linux; I am running on Mac.  Both are Unix-based systems.  Maybe that's the commonality.  Do you know anyone who knows what they're doing X-COM development-wise who could look into it?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 09:35:57 pm »
I am having this problem definitely!  I posted about it in https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2027.390.  By the looks of it, this guy is running on Linux; I am running on Mac.  Both are Unix-based systems.  Maybe that's the commonality.  Do you know anyone who knows what they're doing X-COM development-wise who could look into it?

Not really... Butr I heard Macs are having problems with too many files active at the same time or something.

I think your best bet would be to ask on the openxcom IRC channel.

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:16 am »
Hello! I just downloaded v0.8 of this wonderful piece o modding work, and I am already enjoying it... I think I found a little bug: The new Stormlance missile (after looking at its stats, a very welcomed weapon to have available) is seen as available to purchase in the purchase screen... And no, I have not researched it... I think the problem is that there is a line en the .rul file, under the items section which says "costBuy: 3000" (line number 10588)... Is this intentional? (Besides, the launcher is not appearing in said screen)...