Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1611971 times)

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2055 on: December 30, 2015, 03:22:03 pm »
I must be unlucky. I threw so many HEs and nothing happened to the Sectopod. What I used was incendiary weapons - INC Grenades - everything to make the ish burn.
I threw the HE at the Cyberdiscs, they're the ones that die in one blast.  I haven't seen any Sectopods yet.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2056 on: December 31, 2015, 01:03:25 pm »
The specific issue is that I have recovered clips from the battlefield,  but I am not allowed to load them on the Skyranger because I don't know what they are. I can put the guns on, but they don't load themselves.

Yeah, I understand. I guess I'll have to streamline it a little bit. Hey, does anybody know if adding two research topics to "required" in the item block works?

I think the gun might need two ammo clips, the existing one, which would unlock with Alien Laser Rifle research but be unbuildable, and an identical "human" Alien Laser Rifle Clip which can be built after Engineer/Elerium to allow manufacturing.

Maybe, but at that point you can start manufacturing your own lasers, whch are better.

PS Dont use small rockets vs Cyberdiscs. Get the large or normal ones NOT the small ones!!

Small Rockets are generally pointless, since you can buy unlimited Large Rockets and money is not an issue. Hmmm, maybe I should do something about this...

Thanks Solarius for the update! Just some kind of suggestion, to better distinguish the FMP from other mods such as equal terms and similia: how about to split the starting weapons: the buyable onse and the advanced/researchebal ones?

Nah, there's already enough starting weapons (some say way too many). You'll be moving to alloy ammo very quickly anyway. But in X-Com Files things will be different, you'll probably like it.

I haven't mentioned the content because I presume praise there should be directed to the original creators.

Definitely.

The reimagined Spitters are indeed awesome, as is the appearance of the Arthropods making an actual link to Apocalypse outside of the vague suggestion that the psi-microbes were controlling the Ethereals.

Which is BS if you ask me, but that's beside the point. To me, Arthropods in OpenXCom are just another alien race, with no special considerations for the species from Apocalypse, which has its own tactical profile and that's it.

As for the Sectopods... There are no good methods to use against Sectopods. :) Just throw what you have at them and pray it's enough.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 31, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »
Which is BS if you ask me, but that's beside the point. To me, Arthropods in OpenXCom are just another alien race, with no special considerations for the species from Apocalypse, which has its own tactical profile and that's it.

See, my biggest beef with Apocalyse was the sudden 180 from Enemy Unknown. Being attacked by an interstellar colilition suddenly changes to being invaded by a metamorphic lifeform from another dimension. Encountering prototype Arthropods during the first war at least provides some foreshadowing. Since they're a dead end of the life cycle and the aliens don't appear ready to deploy the Multiworms, X-Com has no reason to believe there's anything more to it at this point. Also Spitters were pretty much the dumbest design in the entire series so the new ones are just awesome.

I mean Apoc could have hung on to the Chryssalids at least. It was kinda like new game, new monsters, continuity be damned. Heck it wasn't until Interceptor that someone sat down and wrote a coherent timeline.

On the technical front, however the Gauss weapons are set up works. After researching the Gauss craft weapon I was able to use, but not build, all of the MiB Gauss weapons and their clips.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: December 31, 2015, 07:35:42 pm »
See, my biggest beef with Apocalyse was the sudden 180 from Enemy Unknown. Being attacked by an interstellar colilition suddenly changes to being invaded by a metamorphic lifeform from another dimension. Encountering prototype Arthropods during the first war at least provides some foreshadowing. Since they're a dead end of the life cycle and the aliens don't appear ready to deploy the Multiworms, X-Com has no reason to believe there's anything more to it at this point. Also Spitters were pretty much the dumbest design in the entire series so the new ones are just awesome.

I mean Apoc could have hung on to the Chryssalids at least. It was kinda like new game, new monsters, continuity be damned. Heck it wasn't until Interceptor that someone sat down and wrote a coherent timeline.

Yep, can't agree more. I generally still like Apocalypse though.

On the technical front, however the Gauss weapons are set up works. After researching the Gauss craft weapon I was able to use, but not build, all of the MiB Gauss weapons and their clips.

Yeah, well, they don't require that much tech, except for a new energy source.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: December 31, 2015, 08:53:04 pm »
Funny enough I never used Gauss. Went from AP/Alloy/Grenades to Laser to Plasma to PsiAmp

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: January 01, 2016, 08:31:25 am »
Small Rockets are generally pointless, since you can buy unlimited Large Rockets and money is not an issue. Hmmm, maybe I should do something about this..

If you use the Rocket Launcher as a "Sniper Rifle" from the back, the 75 vs 100 damage can be the difference between obliterating everything in the vicinity... or just the enemies, leaving your frontline-soldiers alive to fight another...turn. This means the Small Rocket is far from pointless!

Of course, I could use (and do) the Tactical Sniper Rifle's explosive ammo, but that is only 56 damage. Multi-Launcher has damage of 70, but a 10 % less accuracy with aimed shot (105 vs 115) compared to the Rocket Launcher.

Out in the open, with no soldiers in front of your Rocket Launcher, you're quite right that it is pointless to use anything but the Large Rocket... but that is just one of the possible uses...

There is as expected a high risk involved in using Rockets as "sniper rifles," but if the alternative is that your frontmen ends the turn without cover five to ten blocks from a tough-to-take-down enemy...  :o  This is especially a scenario for when you don't have the time to wait, but must rush the enemy (think early psionic aliens).

Oh, and have a great 2016!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 01, 2016, 11:47:45 am »
You too, and everyone! :)

Yeah, rocket sniping is not really my style (2 crazy 4 me), but I can see how it can be viable. Plus Small Rockets are lighter, which I sort of ignored in my previous post.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: January 01, 2016, 07:44:14 pm »
Funny enough I never used Gauss. Went from AP/Alloy/Grenades to Laser to Plasma to PsiAmp
I had a very brief window due to my troubles in locating an engineer, but yes there's not much point in building any Gauss yourself since lasers are right around the corner.

About the Gauss tech what I mean is I was able to use, but not produce, Gauss weapons without researching them or the Elerium Battery. With the Alien Laser Rifle the clip remained unuseable until researched, at which point it was obsolete because I now had X-Com laser research availible. Those guns might have been useful way back when I actually researched them, and the limited availible ammo would require them to be used sparingly.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 02, 2016, 12:15:19 pm »
I had a very brief window due to my troubles in locating an engineer, but yes there's not much point in building any Gauss yourself since lasers are right around the corner.

About the Gauss tech what I mean is I was able to use, but not produce, Gauss weapons without researching them or the Elerium Battery. With the Alien Laser Rifle the clip remained unuseable until researched, at which point it was obsolete because I now had X-Com laser research availible. Those guns might have been useful way back when I actually researched them, and the limited availible ammo would require them to be used sparingly.

I agree. I was happy when I saw the rifle in my inventory. Then I entered battlescape and it wasnt working!!  >:( >:( By the time I could research the clip, I had better weapons.

niculinux

« Reply #2064 on: January 02, 2016, 08:32:02 pm »
..and now since FMP is a kinda "complete" mod, i really think it deserves a first-update post, in the form of a general intro & download, as ufo redux  8)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: January 02, 2016, 11:59:42 pm »
..and now since FMP is a kinda "complete" mod, i really think it deserves a first-update post, in the form of a general intro & download, as ufo redux  8)

Sadly I can't. The first post isn't mine. :P

I'm still thinking about the Alien Laser Rifle. Haven't decided what to do with it yet, but I did plenty of other work, so it's okay. :P

niculinux

« Reply #2066 on: January 03, 2016, 12:47:06 am »
Sadly I can't. The first post isn't mine. :P

I'm still thinking about the Alien Laser Rifle. Haven't decided what to do with it yet, but I did plenty of other work, so it's okay. :P

Oh, i did not pay attention! Maybe it's time to start a brand new dedicated thread ?  8) As for an alien laser rifle, i might even try to make some sort, just keep an eye on my playground!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2067 on: January 03, 2016, 05:11:17 am »
Maybe grab a Subforum?
Then you should be able to alter stuff as you see fit.
Also something i need to do for my own mod in the future.

niculinux

« Reply #2068 on: January 03, 2016, 09:22:38 am »
Maybe grab a Subforum?
Then you should be able to alter stuff as you see fit.
Also something i need to do for my own mod in the future.

That's what i meant. In the meantime for an alien weapon, see here :)

Offline 123nick

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: January 09, 2016, 03:21:00 am »
is the alien data slate OP or something? it seems like you can just research it again and again too get free researched things.