Author Topic: Area 51 - Introduction & Download  (Read 103824 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Area 51 - Introduction & Download
« on: February 06, 2015, 07:22:54 pm »

Hello and welcome to XCOM: Area 51, an OpenXcom expansion of the UFO: Enemy Unknown/XCom: Ufo Defense game

Download Link: Area 51 v0.963 (requires Nightly openxcom_git_master_2018_07_19_1544 or more recent)

Video Tutorial: Install Area 51 (Keep in mind that Area 51 cannot be downloaded from the mod portal anymore)

XCOM: Area 51 is an expansion to the original UFO: Enemy Unknown game, without any additional changes to vanilla gameplay and difficulty other than those required to integrate the mod's new features. However, it also introduces several new choices and challenges for the player to overcome, both at tactical and strategic levels.

List of Features (updated to 0.95):
* New monthly Council missions, can consist of 6 different objectives: Defense, Assault, Destroy, Capture, Recovery or Extraction
* New research topic: Bluebook Report, unlocks additional Council missions of Capture/Recovery/Extraction (to gain techs) and also gives tips on future mission locations and new alien species, plus background story
* Terror missions can now appear also as Escape variant, where your units need to reach the exit area before a timer expires otherwise they're MIA
* Redesigned Geoscape globe, with new textures, regions, cities and country zones
* Over 100 new terrains for the nearly all the vanilla missions (except Base Defense) and the new Escape/Council missions. Includes Alien Colony, Alien Hive, Area 51, Biolab, Cold Isle, Complex, Downtown, Pyramid, Slums, Siberia and Storm Mountain terrains   
* In Escape and certain Council missions, XCom will use the Mudranger APC for deployment/exit instead of the transport craft
* Variable UFO waves, alternative UFO interior designs for the vanilla UFOs & 2 additional new UFOs (Lab Ship and Overseer)
* Alien crews are enlarged to 12 possible ranks and Mixed crews have been added
* 22 new aliens and 1 new rank of alien Scientist, 8 enemy humans, 15 allied humans and 83 civilian units
* In Terror and Council missions it is possible to encounter allied soldiers and police officers who will attack the aliens, but they carry only conventional weapons
* Captures of aliens are much more important to unlock research, specially for Cydonia or Bust (Ethereal Commander), Elerium-115 (any Scientist), UFO Power Source (any Engineer) and UFO Navigation (any Navigator). Some of those ranks can only be found in UFO or alien base missions
* New weapons: Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Multi-Launcher, Snubnose Pistol, Combat Knife, LMG, Machine Pistol, AK-47, RPG, Alloy Shotgun, Alloy Sword, Gauss Pistol, Gauss Rifle, Heavy Gauss, Laser Sniper Rifle, Laser Minigun, Plasma Blaster, Plasma Assault Cannon, Gauss Heavy Cannon and Gauss Autocannon, as well as Alloy (upgraded AP) and more varieties of ammo/grenades/rockets
* New armors: Alloy Vest and Combat Armor
* New HWPs: Gauss Tank and Alloy versions of all HWPs
* New craft: Darkstar (airborne radar), Thunderstorm and Stormrider (interceptors) and Blackbird (transport), also 2 new craft weapons - Stormhawk Missiles and Gauss Cannon
* Research and Manufacturing redesigned/enlarged to include new features
* Varied UFO interiors

Other Mods and OpenXCom's Options
Area 51 should be fully compatible with any mods that don't involve changes to the vanilla missions and research. Since I wanted to keep it as closer to the original as possible, it doesn't include any mods involving gameplay mechanics or UI changes, so that everyone can choose which ever of those they like.

Do NOT use this mod with any of the following mods:
* Terrain Pack (already included and expanded in Area 51)
* Final Mod Pack
* Piratez
* X-Com Files
* Hardmode Expansion
* Any other megamod

Regarding OpenXCom's options and official mods, here are my suggestions:
* Don't use XComUtil's Improved Ground Tanks, since there's already a tech called 'Improved HWPs' which is the XComUtil's improvement, allowing you to upgrade any existing HWP to Alloy HWPs
* Same is recommended to XComUtil's Improved Heavy Laser, since there's a Laser Sniper Rifle with the same stats
* Limit Craft Item Capabilities can be useful, because if you're use an equipment pile during battles, in the new Escape and Council missions all those items will be lost unless they're not in the exit area when you abort the mission, and usually they'll be spawned in the open because there's no way to control where the first soldier is generated since it's random. Using the original's 80 item limit per craft trains into always carrying everything on your soldiers due to the restriction
* Instant Grenades and Explosion Height 3 (just for fun)

Area 51/UFO Redux/Terrain Pack History
Until version 0.8j, Area 51 was known as UFO Redux, but version 0.9 made me rethink the whole project since it had evolved differently than I had imagined on the early versions of UFO Redux. So I decided that the new changes required a renaming since OpenXCom has allowed me to go back to ideas I had back in the days when I created my old XCOM: Area 51 website to host my terrain mods for the original game.

Those terrains included several developed for UFO2000, the multiplayer version of the original's tactical battles and were first included in the Terrain Pack, the first name of this expansion which aimed to make those terrains available for players and modders to use with OXC. As the Terrain Pack grew I decided to create the UFO Redux expansion to add additional features and address some balance and playability issues of the original game. When I decided to remove the rebalances, it felt fitting to get a new name so I decided to go back to where everything started, XCOM: Area 51. :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:30:48 am by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Redux - Expansion Intro & Download
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:48:45 pm »
Bump.

Offline niculinux

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:11:53 am »
Very much thanks, Hobbes! Jut a quick question, for the sake of the player, every quickfix that is relased (su as here) will be merged at once in the main mod download? If so, i assume this applies every time a new fix is relased, right?

Edit: small request: from 0.8 veriosn and on may players get the working nightly with the mod, like happens with Dioxine's x-piratex?

Thanks again! <3
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:24:07 pm by niculinux »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 05:18:52 pm »
Very much thanks, Hobbes! Jut a quick question, for the sake of the player, every quickfix that is relased (su as here) will be merged at once in the main mod download? If so, i assume this applies every time a new fix is relased, right?

Depends on the seriousness of the bug. In the case you mentioned since that bug doesn't cause CTD the fix will be included into 0.8

Edit: small request: from 0.8 veriosn and on may players get the working nightly with the mod, like happens with Dioxine's x-piratex?

No, because I'm sticking to the official nightlies. X-Piratez uses a specialized nightly and that's why it comes included with the mod.

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 01:03:25 pm »
The download link on the mod page are not working.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Offline VSx86

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - Introduction & Download
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 01:54:29 pm »
Hi Hobbes.
Thanks for such interesting and challenging mod.

I can't download an 4 July update - mod portal problems again (lags):

I recommend you to always add an alternative download link for such cases.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »
I recommend you to always add an alternative download link for such cases.

There's already an alternate download link on the first post and on the modportal's description :)

I'll talk to Joshua later to see if he fixes the modportal's downloads (again)

Offline niculinux

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 11:39:18 am »
Maybe also the forum name may be changed to XCOM:Area 51?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 02:56:30 pm »
Maybe also the forum name may be changed to XCOM:Area 51?

Just to remember people that this all about XCom? ;)

Offline niculinux

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »
No, that was an aesthetichsl whim, whatever!  ;D

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
No, that was an aesthetichsl whim, whatever!  ;D

I hear you, but I actually prefer without the 'XCom' for the name of the subforum since I consider it redundant in this context :)

Offline ParGellen

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 03:20:30 pm »
The v0.93 download link appears to be broken :(

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »
The v0.93 download link appears to be broken :(

Please try the updated link now. Dropbox changed its settings but I've uploaded version 0.93 to Mediafire

Offline ParGellen

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 12:49:47 am »
Please try the updated link now. Dropbox changed its settings but I've uploaded version 0.93 to Mediafire

That worked! Thanks!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 01:03:24 am »
That worked! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting it, the link has been probably dead for a while since Dropbox changed its settings. Hope you enjoy :)