Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580632 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2025 on: December 20, 2015, 05:44:25 pm »
Just started playing this. I didnt read through the thread yet so going in blind. Only enabled my better soldiers and armor mod. However is there a place where you advice which options to select e.g. lose items on research?

Get Alien Containment ASAP (requires alien autopsy -> alien biology) and then capture any aliens you can for interrogations (soldiers don't know much). Otherwise it's similar to the vanilla game.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: December 20, 2015, 07:44:52 pm »
I believe Cristao was asking about recommended Advanced Settings in Options menu.

You can find that written on openxcom.com, but basically it is just Destroy items on research, and UFOExtender accuracy. The rest is up to you...

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: December 20, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
I believe Cristao was asking about recommended Advanced Settings in Options menu.

You can find that written on openxcom.com, but basically it is just Destroy items on research, and UFOExtender accuracy. The rest is up to you...

Thanks. Correctimon.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: December 22, 2015, 10:22:25 pm »
In FMP 1.7.3 the Alien Alloy Ammunitions normally increases average damage in the 25% to 37% range. With two exceptions. The Sub Machine Gun only get a 10% increase, while the Auto-Cannon gets a huge 52% increase.

A - Is this done on purpose? If so, what is the reason behind such a choice?

B - If it is an "accidental" mistake, will the damage increases be corrected in the future, to correspond with the 25-37 range?

PS!
I've gotten myself into a position where I lost both of my first two Terror Missions (on Superhuman). Apparantly standard AP Ammo is not particularly good, and I cannot even research more advanced weapons, yet. By the way, Snakemen just shrugs off an ordinary Rifle. The only reliable weapons at the moment are Rocket Launchers and Tactical Sniper Rifles. I must say this mod brings the game up to another level of challenge. I love it, so far...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: December 23, 2015, 12:19:49 pm »
In FMP 1.7.3 the Alien Alloy Ammunitions normally increases average damage in the 25% to 37% range. With two exceptions. The Sub Machine Gun only get a 10% increase, while the Auto-Cannon gets a huge 52% increase.

A - Is this done on purpose? If so, what is the reason behind such a choice?

B - If it is an "accidental" mistake, will the damage increases be corrected in the future, to correspond with the 25-37 range?

The SMG could be an arbitrary choice, but I can't really remember the exact reasoning; I'll think about it. The Auto-Cannon is probably a bug, I'll fix it in the next release.

PS!
I've gotten myself into a position where I lost both of my first two Terror Missions (on Superhuman). Apparantly standard AP Ammo is not particularly good, and I cannot even research more advanced weapons, yet. By the way, Snakemen just shrugs off an ordinary Rifle. The only reliable weapons at the moment are Rocket Launchers and Tactical Sniper Rifles. I must say this mod brings the game up to another level of challenge. I love it, so far...

Thanks. As for the tougher enemies in early game, I really recommend flamethrowers and all sorts of explosives to deal with bigger threats.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: December 23, 2015, 08:39:49 pm »
I like my shotguns, smoke grenades, alloy sword, grenade and rocket launchers. My only problem is the speed of research. Because I like capturing so much (stun rods). I have a lot of research.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: December 25, 2015, 07:58:53 am »
i love the mod by far, and i have  a couple of ideas rolling across my mind lately, i was thinking if its possible to make the "movement grenade" (i forgot the name sorry), be a dependant project for the movement scanner detector, it makes both sense that you first need some advance in the detection tecnology before you realize you could aply it into a weapon, also it would help to streamline the starting projects, and reduce them into three topics just as vainilla, but this is more a roleplaying "issue" (you could also considerate this as a nerf because i tend to upgrade into those nades ASAP).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: December 25, 2015, 11:38:00 am »
i love the mod by far, and i have  a couple of ideas rolling across my mind lately, i was thinking if its possible to make the "movement grenade" (i forgot the name sorry), be a dependant project for the movement scanner detector, it makes both sense that you first need some advance in the detection tecnology before you realize you could aply it into a weapon, also it would help to streamline the starting projects, and reduce them into three topics just as vainilla, but this is more a roleplaying "issue" (you could also considerate this as a nerf because i tend to upgrade into those nades ASAP).

Yeah, it makes sense. I'll do that :)

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: December 25, 2015, 02:19:31 pm »
Hello, again.   :)

Does anyone know if there has been any discussions about allowing non-penetrating damage to do damage to the Armour?

I mean, if I walk around in my "Front: 50-protected" Personal Armour, and get hit with what turns out to be a 49-damage shot... not only do I escape with no health-reduction, but my Armour is un-touched as well.

Logically, I'd assume if the Armour gets hit it would take some damage. This would have to work both ways, though. If I used a Shotgun against an armoured target, the pellets should "eat away" at the armour until it was damaged enough to allow the weaker weapons to actually do some health-damage.

I know that in the original game the armour got damaged with 10% of the "penetrating damage" (not total calculated damage). What I'd like to see is a change to damage armour with 5 % of final calculated damage (not penetrating damage), rounded down. But limited to 50% of the remaining armour's value, to avoid a total destruction of said armour.

This way, a Sub-Machine Gun (average damage: 20 AP) would damage armour by one (1) point, if it rolled average damage (and the target's armour didn't have any damage-reduction percentages against AP). My 12-man squad would be able to take down an armoured alien (although it would take a long time) by "peanut" weapons alone (would be a lot of fun). On the other hand, "lucky" Plasma Rifle shots in-my-face would damage my armour (even if it didn't damage my health).

Would this even be possible to code in FMP?

Please link to discussions (if you've had them before), as I just thought about this (and haven't come up with all the arguments for/against it, yet).

PS!
I think it is a good idea to link Motion Scanner/Proximity Grenade research, as you've decided to do (see post above). Supporting that idea!

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: December 25, 2015, 04:45:27 pm »
Armour damage without health damage is not possible in OpenXCom. It is possible with OpenXCom Extended though, and I will consider it for the X-Com Files mod, which will be FMP on drugs. :)

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: December 25, 2015, 05:26:10 pm »
Armour damage without health damage is not possible in OpenXCom. It is possible with OpenXCom Extended though, and I will consider it for the X-Com Files mod, which will be FMP on drugs. :)

Thank you for the information.

I wish you good luck with the development.

I'll try to keep my eyes open for a test-release during the latter half of 2016. I hope you will be able to get something test-worthy in time for christmas next year (!).

Yours Sincerely
Kjotleik   :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: December 25, 2015, 05:43:06 pm »
Oh, I hope to have the first version earlier. :) Many thanks for the encouragement. If you want to follow the project, here is the relevant thread and here is some other stuff.

As for the FMP, I have the next version ready, but since I've integrated the Commendations mod it's taking forever to release it, as I am trying to keep the Polish version up to date and these descriptions take forever to translate and I'm really fed up with it. I might just release it half-done, since I don't even know if anybody plays it in Polish at all. :)

Offline ragdoll

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: December 26, 2015, 04:54:16 am »
Hey, I'm getting occasional crashes out of the blue in the battlescape, always at the very end of the aliens' turn. The game quits without an error dialogue or anything and I can't find a log file of any kind, although I might not be looking in the right place. I'm using the latest version of the mod and a week-old nightly.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: December 26, 2015, 12:55:00 pm »
Hey, I'm getting occasional crashes out of the blue in the battlescape, always at the very end of the aliens' turn. The game quits without an error dialogue or anything and I can't find a log file of any kind, although I might not be looking in the right place. I'm using the latest version of the mod and a week-old nightly.

Sorry to hear that. Would you have a save? It's hard to say anything otherwise, especially since there have been no crash reports lately.

It could be related to faulty terrain, but it's uncertain.

Offline ragdoll

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: December 26, 2015, 11:44:20 pm »
I reinstalled completely and I haven't had the problem again, although I'm not sure  why as everything is identical except for the save itself, since I started over. If it comes up again I'll get you a save.