aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580028 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #825 on: October 11, 2014, 11:27:48 am »
The ufopedia problems were iirc the alloy armor and other alloy based equipment. Sadly I didn't write down everything, but I simply scrolled through the ufopedia with the NEXT buttons and here they were.

About the Hazmat armor:
I am using (in my mod soup) a starting armor mix of:
the usual camo armor mod with low protection AND the gasmask armor which has no additional protection but boosts TU and Stamina slightly along with smoke protection. the idea (or excuse, lol) for that is that the soldiers receive additional combat drugs through the inhalator. It makes both armors useful, one for the strong soldiers and one for the weaker.

Maybe you could try something similar?  :)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 11, 2014, 01:07:07 pm »
May be interestin a partial block of atack psy or a plus to defense psy. May be for the material of the armour. The plome is greater arrgh XD

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:12:40 pm by arrakis69ct »

Offline tspg

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 11, 2014, 10:44:06 pm »
Hi,
Sorry if I'm in the wrong topic.

I've wanted to try out your mod on the linux version of openxcom, unfortunately it hits a segfault when clicking on bases on geoscape. This is just happening on the mod, I can play it without problems on the non-modded version.
Anyways, after recompiling the version 1.0 of openxcom with debugging signals, here's the output with backtrace (please tell me if you need any more information):

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
OpenXcom::BaseView::draw (this=0x4c6c4b0) at src/Basescape/BaseView.cpp:379
379               frame->setX(x * GRID_SIZE);
(gdb) backtrace
#0  OpenXcom::BaseView::draw (this=0x4c6c4b0) at src/Basescape/BaseView.cpp:379
#1  0x0000000000590503 in OpenXcom::Surface::blit (this=this@entry=0x4c6c4b0,
    surface=surface@entry=0x4ad6ae0) at src/Engine/Surface.cpp:506
#2  0x000000000041f0c1 in OpenXcom::BaseView::blit (this=0x4c6c4b0, surface=0x4ad6ae0)
    at src/Basescape/BaseView.cpp:498
#3  0x000000000058f6ca in OpenXcom::State::blit (this=0x4b14890)
    at src/Engine/State.cpp:170
#4  0x0000000000500758 in OpenXcom::Game::run (this=0x4a717e0) at src/Engine/Game.cpp:295
#5  0x00000000004103b2 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>)
    at src/main.cpp:67

And last and not least, as I'm a fan of the original UFO: enemy unknown since it was out, I wanted to thank you and everybody in this community for the job that you've done and made it live once more.

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:24 am »
Use the latest nightly build, this mod doesn't work with 1.0

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 13, 2014, 12:38:31 am »
Actually, normal lasers don't depend on Elerium, only the better ones do.

Really?
Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_LASER_WEAPONS
    cost: 50
    dependencies:
      - STR_UFO_POWER_SOURCE
      - STR_ELERIUM_115
Taken from 0.9.5.

BTW, found one more glyth:
name: STR_PISTOL_AA_CLIP
    cost: 0
    dependencies:
      - STR_

I think it should stay STR_ALLOY_AMMO there.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:41:32 am by ucel »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #830 on: October 13, 2014, 02:05:25 pm »
The ufopedia problems were iirc the alloy armor and other alloy based equipment. Sadly I didn't write down everything, but I simply scrolled through the ufopedia with the NEXT buttons and here they were.

That's OK, we'll see if it is reported from other people too, then fix it if it's broken.

About the Hazmat armor:
I am using (in my mod soup) a starting armor mix of:
the usual camo armor mod with low protection AND the gasmask armor which has no additional protection but boosts TU and Stamina slightly along with smoke protection. the idea (or excuse, lol) for that is that the soldiers receive additional combat drugs through the inhalator. It makes both armors useful, one for the strong soldiers and one for the weaker.

Maybe you could try something similar?  :)

I am not big on combat drugs, I just don't really believe their usability outside giving the soldier more energy for a significant cost.

If I ever add a stimulator, it'll probably act like this: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2417.msg24174#msg24174

May be interestin a partial block of atack psy or a plus to defense psy. May be for the material of the armour. The plome is greater arrgh XD

There has never been such a material in the X-Com canon, and psi armours always feel cheaty anyway.

Really?
  - name: STR_LASER_WEAPONS
    cost: 50
    dependencies:
      - STR_UFO_POWER_SOURCE
      - STR_ELERIUM_115
Taken from 0.9.5.

Uh yeah, what I meant was that you didn't need Elerium to make them, but indeed you need to understand the process to miniaturize the device. I just wanted lasers to be a bit less available than the gauss weapons, but maybe I was wrong? I've spent so much time pondering this, I need to change the perspective...

BTW, found one more glyth:
name: STR_PISTOL_AA_CLIP
    cost: 0
    dependencies:
      - STR_

I think it should stay STR_ALLOY_AMMO there.

Yes, you are right, thank you.

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:35 pm »
Uh yeah, what I meant was that you didn't need Elerium to make them, but indeed you need to understand the process to miniaturize the device. I just wanted lasers to be a bit less available than the gauss weapons, but maybe I was wrong? I've spent so much time pondering this, I need to change the perspective...

I played it only few times (the mod is just huge, therefore), but always at the time when I got delta radiation I could develop elerium and plasma calibration. Besides from months knew gauss and over half of the team equipped with gauss sniper (the only advanced weapon with two aimed shots). So then I could choose between laser rifles and heavy plasmas.
If it were up to me I would try to move laser a bit forward, allowing it to be developed at the near time when gauss tech is. Advanced laser could require elerium, but the last should be moved forward too.
Do the techs acquired from engineers and slates any specified order or they come in random?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 13, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »
I played it only few times (the mod is just huge, therefore), but always at the time when I got delta radiation I could develop elerium and plasma calibration. Besides from months knew gauss and over half of the team equipped with gauss sniper (the only advanced weapon with two aimed shots). So then I could choose between laser rifles and heavy plasmas.
If it were up to me I would try to move laser a bit forward, allowing it to be developed at the near time when gauss tech is.

It was never as drastic in my case, but okay, you've convinced me. For now, I'll change the lasers' prerequisites to be the same as the gausses. It would be nice to differentiate these at some point, but for now, let it be so.

Do the techs acquired from engineers and slates any specified order or they come in random?

They're completely at random.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 14, 2014, 06:03:22 am »
Another short game - gave up after encountering Ethereals before capturing a single engineer or recovering Elerium. Hypotheses follow;

I think I've narrowed down the cause of my research troubles - engineers only have a 25% chance of spawning outside the ship, which means that when the engines blow, they're likely to be taken out by the explosion, making them unlikely to spawn, especially in small craft. Also, though this may have been the roll of the dice, there seem to be lopsided odds of landing vs. flying UFO missions, further diminishing the odds of capture.

Some questions as well; is stuff like dynamite, AK-47s etc supposed to be buyable or not? They're mainsteam terrestrial technology, so I don't see why not, but they're not defined as such in the ruleset. Also, what are the pros and cons of grenade launchers vs. thrown grenades?

Finally, a suggestion - given that fusion torches come far enough in the game that they're obsolesced by other equipment, rename it as hullcutter, make it available as part of the laser research branch and increase the TUs used to 100% - that would make it available early enough to be useful, but its usage would make its user vulnerable {otherwise I can see a motion sensor/hole/shoot maneuver that might be too unbalancing}.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:07:32 am by Quinch »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 14, 2014, 11:28:10 am »
Another short game - gave up after encountering Ethereals before capturing a single engineer or recovering Elerium.

The answer is:

I think I've narrowed down the cause of my research troubles - engineers only have a 25% chance of spawning outside the ship, which means that when the engines blow, they're likely to be taken out by the explosion, making them unlikely to spawn, especially in small craft. Also, though this may have been the roll of the dice, there seem to be lopsided odds of landing vs. flying UFO missions, further diminishing the odds of capture.

I haven't modified either of these factors.

Almost 100% UFOs land at some point. Pursue them until it happens. Ironfist works well.

Yes, most Engineers are inside and therefore are somewhat prone to being blown up, but it's also easier to sneak upon them and stun them.

Some questions as well; is stuff like dynamite, AK-47s etc supposed to be buyable or not? They're mainsteam terrestrial technology, so I don't see why not, but they're not defined as such in the ruleset.

They're sub-par weapons, often half a century old, why would X-Com buy this crap? They have access to much better and affordable weapons (Rifle etc.), so I didn't want the buying list to become clogged with junk.

Also, what are the pros and cons of grenade launchers vs. thrown grenades?

It's a tactics thing, too broad to cover here. In short, launched grenades are weaker and less accurate, but they explode instantly and have virtually unlimited range (though prone to miss at greater distances).

Finally, a suggestion - given that fusion torches come far enough in the game that they're obsolesced by other equipment, rename it as hullcutter, make it available as part of the laser research branch and increase the TUs used to 100% - that would make it available early enough to be useful, but its usage would make its user vulnerable {otherwise I can see a motion sensor/hole/shoot maneuver that might be too unbalancing}.

I think 100% is too much, since you wouldn't even be able to make a minuscule turn and use it. But I may balance it further.

Cheers!

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 14, 2014, 01:32:39 pm »

I find this idea great. I used torch in two or three missions and then flew to Cydonia - they code definitely too late. And TU set to 90% should be enough.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 14, 2014, 01:58:59 pm »
Another short game - gave up after encountering Ethereals before capturing a single engineer or recovering Elerium. Hypotheses follow;

Some questions as well; is stuff like dynamite, AK-47s etc supposed to be buyable or not? They're mainsteam terrestrial technology, so I don't see why not, but they're not defined as such in the ruleset. Also, what are the pros and cons of grenade launchers vs. thrown grenades?

When you touch metal ufo.

OrdeRs: CHANGE THE WEAPONS TO DART LAUNCHERS......

i want the aliens live jajajajaja

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 14, 2014, 04:47:45 pm »
I find this idea great. I used torch in two or three missions and then flew to Cydonia - they code definitely too late. And TU set to 90% should be enough.

What ucel said, the fusion weapons are too late.

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 16, 2014, 06:05:07 pm »
Hello,

about to do another FMP run, is 0.9.5 the latest?  Open xcom mod site down, so couldn't check there.

Also, I can't recall, does this mod contain any content from equal terms? 

Thanks!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 16, 2014, 11:22:54 pm »
Hello,

about to do another FMP run, is 0.9.5 the latest?  Open xcom mod site down, so couldn't check there.

Yeah, it's the latest, but there are several errors. 0.9.6 is coming up, I just want to finish the MiB update before releasing it, and it's taking like forever. (I'll try to do it tonight.)

Also, I can't recall, does this mod contain any content from equal terms?

Probably not, since Equal Terms is a "new approach" type of a mod, while the FMP is a "keep things vanilla" philosophy.

As for the upcoming 0.9.6, there are following changes planned (apart from bug fixes):
- flat TU cost for knives (much like the sword already has),
- more accessible Fusion Torch and lasers,
- minor changes to alien armour resistances, to emphasize on using various weapon types,
- a late MiB variant, with Sectopods and power armours. (Assuming it'll work.)