aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 758477 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition
« Reply #1350 on: May 23, 2015, 06:12:33 pm »
Plus, a couple general questions and suggestions probably more aimed at Piratez Extended: one, would it be possible to get different enemy bases, as the ones from the original game feels like a bunch of rooms thrown together, without any cohesion or usefulness or anything, as opposed to your own bases). Maybe making them more "logical" or adding new textures and models? Also, would it be possible to get different bases between factions?

I believe Yankes sort of promised to allow for that. :)

Then, could we get, as a basic, early-game fire weapon, a spray/aerosol can and lighter set? (I've been playing too much Blood recently) With the newer fire mechanics, maybe it would fit in? And what on more "magical" weapons, depending on Voodoo?

We could have a simple fire thrower (melee, fire damage, non-explosive), but I think its only strong point would be auto-hit. Otherwise even knives would be way stronger.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 23, 2015, 06:15:00 pm »
But.. there is a flamethrower you can buy from day 1 on the Black Market (and it works rather well too). Why would you use a spray can + lighter over that, or a molotov?

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 23, 2015, 06:16:37 pm »
I believe Yankes sort of promised to allow for that. :)
And I already did that, now only you need wait for next release :) (that will be today or tomorrow)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 23, 2015, 06:27:40 pm »
Then, could we get, as a basic, early-game fire weapon, a spray/aerosol can and lighter set? (I've been playing too much Blood recently)

Memory and nostalgia sense tingling :)

Offline Edrick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 23, 2015, 06:32:57 pm »
Wasn't aware of the base thing! You all X-Com developers rule.

Memory and nostalgia sense tingling :)

And new fire mechanics might introduce rebalancing which affects flamethrower (maybe rising in price?), and aerosol doubles as a cheap alternative. And as a weapon to give to "useless" troopers: cheap and with very range-limited burst fire (difficult not to deal any damage at all). Molotovs miss a lot -not so with 5-flame bursts.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 23, 2015, 06:43:49 pm »
Wasn't aware of the base thing! You all X-Com developers rule.

And new fire mechanics might introduce rebalancing which affects flamethrower (maybe rising in price?), and aerosol doubles as a cheap alternative. And as a weapon to give to "useless" troopers: cheap and with very range-limited burst fire (difficult not to deal any damage at all). Molotovs miss a lot -not so with 5-flame bursts.

I was refering to blood, I was a young un', when it was released.

Well, IDK the flamers leave me a bit cold (pun not intended) on the matter. I dont use them, I find that the engine is not designed well to deal with damage over time and cannot apply secondary effects. And if I want lights I use my trusty flares, they never fail to deliver. I was delighted by the addition of shotgun(s)/scatter type weapons for close combat and find them better alternatives. But thats just me, to each its own and variety must always exist.

Now for the extended version that might change so adding a cheapskate flamer might be a good thingie. I wonder if a probability of blowing up the cans on your face can be moded? That would be funny.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:46:51 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1356 on: May 23, 2015, 07:02:54 pm »
Flamers became a bit more useful when I've added solid Morale damage to all fire weapons... Also remember a flamer is a situational weapon. It is basically only useful in close-quarters Pogrom urban fight, or boarding actions. Maybe clearing the LZ as well. I think flamers are fine and useful.

An areosol can would have some advantages - namely, being very light and small, and the advantage over a Molotov would be higher ammo count. The lack of blast would make it an emergency melee weapon, and if it ate some enemy Reactions, not a suicidal one too. Anyone would present me with a bigob/handob/floorob? :) I didn't find any spritesheets with Blood weapons on the net (those would be welcome too).

However I cannot make the spray to explode. Gotta take molotovs for that :)

Offline Edrick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 23, 2015, 07:11:42 pm »
I didn't find any spritesheets with Blood weapons on the net (those would be welcome too).

Is this one good enough?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1358 on: May 23, 2015, 07:40:37 pm »
Yeah no. I have this sheet, notice the lack of floor object sprites, which could be easily converted into big object sprites in XCom. As much beautiful it is, it is also useless (maybe except for custom explosion sprites).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1359 on: May 23, 2015, 08:09:52 pm »
Ho9w about using custom-made graphics of hair spray in a can? It would suit our gals. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1360 on: May 23, 2015, 09:18:09 pm »
Be my guest, custom-make it by all means :P

EDIT: Jumped off the Bonaventura. Saw a Cyberdiscs waiting in ambush. Gave it a double dose of Flamer. Cyberdisc gone in a great conflagration. And it wasn't even the Heavy Flamer. Never say a bad word about "useless flamers" again, especially before you pack Heavy Lasers or other hi-tec guns that allow a single soldier can take out a Cyberdisc within a single turn. With 18 soldiers, you can delegate some of them to very specialized roles.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:50:16 am by Dioxine »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 24, 2015, 03:07:34 am »
Indeed, flamethrowers, and especially heavy ones, can be very handy. Once you start hitting often enough, they can pretty reliably take out personal armor dudes and even cyberdiscs (although I like softening those up with a mortar shell, RPG shell or high explosive too!)

I was wondering if you had thought of tweaking the inventory to allow scabbards, Dioxine? Something like detaching one 2x1 side of the belt, making it 3x1 instead, but costing 6 TUs to draw from and 11 to put back to. It would make it sit right between the backpack and the belt in terms of TU costs, so the "quickdraw" of dagger or pistol remains, but it would allow you to have a sword somewhere else than in your backpack which would be very piratey.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1362 on: May 24, 2015, 05:45:34 am »
I was wondering if you had thought of tweaking the inventory to allow scabbards, Dioxine? Something like detaching one 2x1 side of the belt, making it 3x1 instead, but costing 6 TUs to draw from and 11 to put back to. It would make it sit right between the backpack and the belt in terms of TU costs, so the "quickdraw" of dagger or pistol remains, but it would allow you to have a sword somewhere else than in your backpack which would be very piratey.

That's not a bad idea, especially with an increased cost, and the cool factor, although I am unsure - because you could also carry a rifle, a rocket, a RPG launcher in there, any 3x1 object... Thus reducing the role of small weapons like pistols or daggers... The current arrangement - wanna fight with a sword, keep it in your hand and have a harder time using a two-handed firearm - seems to work well enough. I am thinking too many exploits are possible, and the scabbard would rarely be used to carry an actual sword (most often a quick-reload rocket, I think - in the Extended version, reload cost is increased by the TU amount it takes to move ammo from the pocket to the hand) - which really undercuts the cool factor as well...

Let's just say these gals weren't raised to carry swords (it takes many years of training, actually, to be able to carry a sword in a scabbard in a way that doesn't hinder your movement), so they prefer Assassin Creed style :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 24, 2015, 05:59:43 am »
Yeah.. I thought of all that too :P But I still think it'd be cool. I remember someone mentioning that there was no way to represent rifles on a sling either, which this could double as. Too bad you can't modify inventory slots through research or armors. Certain armors allowing it (pirate outfit, for one!) but not others would be interesting.

It's funny how this system feels limited because we want to push it so much, and then you compare this to the 2012 remake and remember how simplistic things could also be!

Some reports on the interception front: The crab works wonderfully. I am very happy I made one. I am now the proud owner of a mini-fleet (Bonny, HK, Crab, BW, 2x Zeppelins) and it is quite an improvement. Keeping everything supplied is a nightmare though, and I just started building a Thunderhorse too! I ran a small scout clean up mission from the Brave Whaler. 2v1 is a lot more stressful than 18v1!

Also, I just looted my first smuggler vessel. My brain got increasingly more confused looking at their UFO until I got a complete view and then I was blown away! Great job on the map design :D This was awesome!

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 24, 2015, 05:15:28 pm »
Flamers became a bit more useful when I've added solid Morale damage to all fire weapons... Also remember a flamer is a situational weapon. It is basically only useful in close-quarters Pogrom urban fight, or boarding actions. Maybe clearing the LZ as well. I think flamers are fine and useful.

An areosol can would have some advantages - namely, being very light and small, and the advantage over a Molotov would be higher ammo count. The lack of blast would make it an emergency melee weapon, and if it ate some enemy Reactions, not a suicidal one too. Anyone would present me with a bigob/handob/floorob? :) I didn't find any spritesheets with Blood weapons on the net (those would be welcome too).

However I cannot make the spray to explode. Gotta take molotovs for that :)

I meant to explode on your face, not as a throwable. As I said about the flamers: To each, his own :) even In a progom I find more usefull to use grenades/explosives/acid vials/shotguns/hatchets than flamers but....did I say to each his own? Its a good thing we all dont have the same taste.

Now I have to admit, that Deathrealm fireball thrower did impress me.