Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 762139 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition
« Reply #1365 on: May 24, 2015, 05:52:18 pm »
That's funny.. I use flamethrowers outside to get rid of carapace armored dudes and cyberdiscs (especially with some obstacles in between), but never in buildings or UFOs. Too much risk of setting a gal on fire! Also no reaction fire is not great in tight quarters.. Although I am discovering that reactions are more of a defensive stat in Piratez. You rarely take down an enemy on reaction fire (only on melee reactions, really), but it does help avoid reaction fire when running up to something to bash them.

Once I upgrade more gals to heavy suits, I might be a little bit less cautious using fire in close quarters. But slowly watching a gal being burnt alive because you can't heal her or extinguish her is just painful. Had to do it a few times and it is not nice..

I am discovering advanced personal armors now, so I'll wait and see what's there then decide what to do..
Spoiler:
Storm Marine armour is cool :D Front armour as good as heavy suit, gives TUs instead of taking them away, and hover to avoid the TU waste of walking on sloped terrain/up the stairs. Looking forward to breaching upper floors of buildings in pogroms instead of slowly clearing from the ground up! Now I'm waiting for the brainers to get Defender and Assassins before upgrading everyone.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 24, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »
Wait wait wait what!?!?!?!?!?! What are those two-three things you talk about in the spoiller? How did you get those? Answer either through PM or Spoiler plox.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 24, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »
Wait wait wait what!?!?!?!?!?! What are those two-three things you talk about in the spoiller? How did you get those? Answer either through PM or Spoiler plox.

LOL you have a squad in powered armours, so I don't know how useful these will be for you. I only ever got 2 powered armours parts from my first pogrom. One got used for the research, and the other one is still sitting in my vaults. Haven't even bothered researching more since I know I won't be able to make anything until I get more parts.

[spoilers]I have done some research projects that are titled Modern Personal Armors and Advanced Personal Armors. The Advanced one enabled 3 new types of even more advanced personal armors, which is great for me since I don't have powered armors. Storm Marine sounded the coolest and most "generalist", so I did that one first ;) Next up is Defender (which I guess will be higher armor values?), then Assassin (lower armor, but better stat boost?).

As to what is needed for the Advanced Personal Armors project.. I am not sure at all.. I can't remember what popped it, but I suspect it has something to do with the church. Clergy booty mentions that they have more advanced stuff than just ablative layers. Could be that you need to research zealots or beastmasters as well (I am an interrogation freak, my cells are overflowing with people to question). I have also done some work on academy cyberdiscs and drone recently...[/spoilers]

The Piratez tech tree is nuts, and I don't want to look in the ruleset so I can't give you a better answer, unfortunately. If you are willing to, then start at "Advanced Personal Armors" and work your way back. I want to keep some mystery so that when I start over for Piratez Extended, I still don't know exactly what I am doing. I've found that knowing the tech tree takes away too much since you just take a fast route to the best stuff and ignore the rest.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 24, 2015, 11:15:29 pm »
Snip

Power armor so far has been a "necessary evil" for me so to speak, so I still look out for alternatives (if they exist that is). I am 100% sure I have researched everything regarding the church.....But didnt have poped this armor topic....Maybe from another faction?The only one I havent captured loads of guys is the humanists. Only soldiers and leaders....I am intrigued now.

Anyway, not that I can do something about it in the meantime....

Try to capture the Power armored guys alive if you can. If you slave them they give parts (I think). Trader military craft (gunships and so on) also have a couple + of these guys, it might worth tacling a bit when you have advanced aircraft and craft weapons in order to farm those. Even though I have the squad parts still a rare prize and I cant get enough of them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:18:53 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 24, 2015, 11:43:24 pm »
Well, it's probably not humanists since I only got one pogrom and only managed to get a soldier, a stormtrooper (Or maybe the stormtrooper mattered since they have fancy personal armor, I don't know) and a tank wreck. But I only use tanks in base defense, so I neglected both that and cyberdiscs beyond researching the corpses.

The factions I encountered the most are church and academy, but I got a whole bunch of trader engineers early on and did a fair bit of research on them. I've interrogated guild reps (but only had one, so no broken), trader engineers (broken, and multiple normal ones), academy espers and medics (and broken ones) and church reverend, zealots and beastmasters (can't remember who I broke for these though). I can't say what else.. Research is an interesting mystery! I wish I remembered what popped advanced personal armour though..

I have only ever seen 2 power armoured dudes. In a trader pogrom early in my game, so I hammered them into submission. They weren't in a state to be enslaved after that :P If I meet more, I'll be more careful. I generally try to capture what I can, especially if I haven't interrogated one before (and then take a spare in case it can be broken!). I'll see.. so far armour isn't too much of an issue. My gals tend to survive a hit and a grenade, which is all I require. Air combat was the priority, and I think now it's switched back to guns (time to get lasers or something, although having more LACC and Heavy Cannons and an AutoCannon has been quite an improvement, I want some lazors!).

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 24, 2015, 11:55:12 pm »
Well, it's probably not humanists since I only got one pogrom and only managed to get a soldier, a stormtrooper

That might be it, no stormtroopers for me yet :(

The damned idiots dont go into Pogroms....]

EDIT: I wonder if I should ignore my technical difficulties and continue the game as is....Hm....lets ask Dioxine:

Hey Dioxine? Can I finish the game without salvaging any more power armor parts and having interrogated but not broken (if you can brake them that is) a guild master?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:58:51 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 25, 2015, 12:47:11 am »
Ah, well.. could be.. Sorry for not reporting on your save yet. I swear I will, but there's so many other things to do!

Good luck with getting humanists!

Actually had an idea with that: It would be an interesting feature to unlock after enslaving a bunch of different prisoners: Slave trade research, where you can not only sell you slaves or ransom prisoners, but also buy them! Could cost more than the ransom since you have to pay for shipping on top of it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:49:46 am by Arthanor »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 25, 2015, 01:42:18 am »
Ah, well.. could be.. Sorry for not reporting on your save yet. I swear I will, but there's so many other things to do!

Friend thank you, but dont fret about it ;) Its a game after all, RL has priority over such matters.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 25, 2015, 01:46:37 am »
What I apologize for is the times where I devote free time to looting instead of helping my fellow pirate ;)

There are too few of those free times, unfortunately!

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 25, 2015, 02:12:00 am »
What I apologize for is the times where I devote free time to looting instead of helping my fellow pirate ;)

There are too few of those free times, unfortunately!

Loot to your pirate hearts content my friend. Looting is love looting is life!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1375 on: May 25, 2015, 03:29:57 am »
Hey Dioxine? Can I finish the game without salvaging any more power armor parts and having interrogated but not broken (if you can brake them that is) a guild master?

Power armor is irrelevant to finishing the game - I think you need to research the P.A. parts, but that's it. You do need a broken Guildmaster, though. And Provost. And Cardinal (the last one - unbroken is enough). You also need every researchable vessel part, and every booty type except the Human one. Also, Humanists are pretty much irrelevant to the main tech tree, unless you count the tanks (you don't need the tanks, but they're helpful in a pinch). If you have these mysterious Cruiser crashes, provoke Traders into assaulting your base.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:31:56 am by Dioxine »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: May 25, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »
Power armor is irrelevant to finishing the game - I think you need to research the P.A. parts, but that's it. You do need a broken Guildmaster, though. And Provost. And Cardinal (the last one - unbroken is enough). You also need every researchable vessel part, and every booty type except the Human one. Also, Humanists are pretty much irrelevant to the main tech tree, unless you count the tanks (you don't need the tanks, but they're helpful in a pinch). If you have these mysterious Cruiser crashes, provoke Traders into assaulting your base.

But....When I asked you a few pages back, why I cant broke the Cardinals (have them researched) you said that they cant be broken 0.0
Also the power armor question, I was asking if I need more parts for end game armors (if something better than power armor exists).

Which ofc is irrelevant since I cant get another guild master anyway.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1377 on: May 25, 2015, 02:21:44 pm »
Yes, the Cardinals cannot be broken, I thought I've just re-iterated this in the previous statement?

Also I thought you have a problem with Cruisers, that's why you cannot get Guildmasters. Does the base defense bomb out too? As you can witness in Ivan's LP, it ought to be working...

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: May 25, 2015, 02:30:22 pm »
Yes, the Cardinals cannot be broken, I thought I've just re-iterated this in the previous statement?

Also I thought you have a problem with Cruisers, that's why you cannot get Guildmasters. Does the base defense bomb out too? As you can witness in Ivan's LP, it ought to be working...

The problem I had with the cruisers was that if I shot it down, it always spawned the higher up (Cardinal/Guild master/etc) near one of the exploded generators and thus dead. After all these reinstalls, I havent checked if it persists. Though I raided a raider cruiser but I saw a couple raider bosses alive. Do they have anything higher?If they have then yes it still persists. The immediate problem is that I cant start on a map on the battlescape that includes the trader faction not even quickbattles. I could circumvent the cruiser problem (if it exists still) by raiding one of their bases (if they ever build a second that is).

I havent suffered a base raid, the shroud is working a bit too well :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1379 on: May 25, 2015, 04:08:14 pm »
The problem I had with the cruisers was that if I shot it down, it always spawned the higher up (Cardinal/Guild master/etc) near one of the exploded generators and thus dead. After all these reinstalls, I havent checked if it persists. Though I raided a raider cruiser but I saw a couple raider bosses alive. Do they have anything higher?If they have then yes it still persists. The immediate problem is that I cant start on a map on the battlescape that includes the trader faction not even quickbattles. I could circumvent the cruiser problem (if it exists still) by raiding one of their bases (if they ever build a second that is).

I havent suffered a base raid, the shroud is working a bit too well :P

Raiders do not have anything higher ATM. No idea what's the story with the Traders, hopefully it'll be gone by the time Extended is rolled out :)

Prepare a trap-base then, w/o any shroud and near a city in the middle of a continent. Launch many interceptions from there. Come on, some creativity there (and hope it won't bug out...) :)