Author Topic: Men in Black | Cover Alien | Gazer Alien | WIP new thing  (Read 195352 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Men in Black | Cover Alien | Gazer Alien | WIP new thing
« Reply #375 on: September 12, 2014, 10:00:37 am »
By the way, just a suggestion: Would you or the modder that made that very nice enemy faction consider implementing a stronger variant of MiB race for the late game? When facing and advanced and fully equipped X-Com squad (with Power or Flying suits, and plasma wepons) they are no match!

Thanks for the attention!  8)

I don't think Robin has any further plans for this mod (Star Gods bless him if he does), but I could think of something. :-)

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 12, 2014, 03:29:13 pm »
That would be great Mr. Solarius! Right now, I am in a play test, and yes I made the game too looong on purpose (I am at Aug, 2000 I think) and the MiB missions are easy ones where X-Com can go and grab some easy Elerium from that guys... To give MiB a chance to give a stronger defense would be really, really great and fun!  8)

Just an idea: May be making MiB men more resistant (or nearly/totally impervious) to mind control?  If possible, giving them some armor type which boost their Psi Strenght in mid/late game... Or to change the race stats giving them higher Psi Strenght for that game stages...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #377 on: September 12, 2014, 05:08:43 pm »
I don't think making them more psi resistant would be justified, because why would they be. Perhaps I'll copy Dioxine and just give the Psi-Amp limited range.

As for the MiB, just making a second race with Power Armours and maybe hovertanks would be  best.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 12, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »
I don't think making them more psi resistant would be justified, because why would they be. Perhaps I'll copy Dioxine and just give the Psi-Amp limited range.

Sorry for going OT...how has Dioxine linmited the Psi-Amp Range? Do you think it would be possible to do the same to the Aline PSI weapon?

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 12, 2014, 08:31:42 pm »

As for the MiB, just making a second race with Power Armours and maybe hovertanks would be  best.

I don't know, may be Aliens discovered a way to protect human brains from being controlled by other human brains, and give the necessary info and gedgets to its human "allies"? :-)

But the two ideas you propose are very good, I specially like the one about limiting the psi amp range... How could it be done?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #380 on: September 12, 2014, 09:00:01 pm »
As simply as adding maxRange to the Psi Amp item. I'd suggest a value below sight range (20). Should work for the alien psi weapon too, but IMO their psi abilities do not need a nerf.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 12, 2014, 11:45:54 pm »
I'd simply like they could do like the humans, namely they can't retain targetability on a tropper that has been spotted ONCE.

This causes all the most difficult situations in which a single mind control snowballs in a mess, since Aliens may uncover ALL your positions as soon as turn (say) 3 and then *never* forget.

I know vanilla plays like this but (to me) it s serious unfun that once spotted there's no way to get out of that crap....I do not like to play without possibilities, had there been a countermeasure that I fail to employ or some hard tactic....it would be different.

Of course once psi aware you can select & train soldier that weather down psi attack very well, and in turn make the game crazy easy with psi attacks.....having a specular handling of psi powers could do the trick for a while but once you have a ocuple superhumans the tide is on your side anyway.

Limiting Alien psi range may "mimic" the fact that while still out of the UFO only a few aliens could be able to psi-attack you.

Breaching the UFO still, would still provide quite a challenge.

Too bad that's hardcoded, I'd really like to try alien psi that plays like the psi-amp (or as I call it the "everywhere sniper").

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 13, 2014, 11:27:39 am »
I don't think Robin has any further plans for this mod (Star Gods bless him if he does), but I could think of something. :-)
This.

Mod is done in my POV. Sure it could potentially be expanded crazily if I wanted to.
I have to add the Russian translation, and I'll keep bug fixing/balancing it, but that's it.  And right now I don't have time to breathe.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 04, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »

This alien exists thanks to Gifty.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 06, 2014, 11:56:42 am »
Awesome!  :o

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 26, 2014, 11:28:13 pm »

1000 hours in photoshop.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 27, 2014, 05:51:46 pm »
 :o Pretty!

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 28, 2014, 01:31:18 am »
1000 hours in photoshop.

Sounds about right. Adding new craft battlescape graphics into the game is insanely hard.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2014, 03:09:18 am »
yeah new maptiles seems to be a lot of work
recoloring existing PCK files is easy in comparision the 3 attached zipfiles took like 2 minutes

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2014, 12:22:01 pm »
Sounds about right. Adding new craft battlescape graphics into the game is insanely hard.
Indeed. New crafts should really be made by 3D artists; I'm almost tempted to learn some 3D tool myself, it would be much easier (and way better result) to draw them, Apocalypse's crafts are mostly made of simple shapes. You just have to render deactivating the perspective (AFAIK it should be possible).

I'm going to use UFO walls; I'm just trying to come up with new, Apocalypse-style, noses, but turning off "perspective" in my brain and minding the tiles (be sure that things fit reasonably within them), is damn hard.