Author Topic: Men in Black | Cover Alien | Gazer Alien | WIP new thing  (Read 195348 times)

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
Re: Men in Black 2.9a | Cover Alien 1.6
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2014, 12:26:15 am »
Are you doing a total conversion? Will we have an Apocalypse mod? I hope so! ! The most epic thing, make city maps whit apoc stile
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:40:03 am by Angelus_EV »

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2014, 12:38:02 am »
like this:

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2014, 08:28:34 am »
I know I keep saying this, but every time I check on this thread my mind gets blown all over again. That Disruptor armor looks wicked.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »
like this:
Well, I haven't investigated this properly, but completely interior maps should be possible. Sort of.
You'd need an adapted urban (or the like) terrain (the BLANKS, instead of the usual lawn, changed into a roof-helipad), and a completely new map set, built to mimic parts of the same whole building (it will be hard to deal with the randomization, it'll take no small amount of thinking-mapping-testing).

It's a lot of work and they'll still have a weird look in the end. So I frankly think that for a mod that has consistently all-interior missions, it would be better to wait for the eventual option to override the geoscape-defined terrain.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2014, 10:48:18 pm »
So I was looking at the discarded alien designs for the original game and I got inspired by a couple of them and ended up making another new alien race.

Still WIP of course, terror unit included.

I need names.
I'm calling the "energy disc" terror unit "Spectre", while I'm calling the alien "Gazer" since it has that big singe eye in the middle of its forehead.
But these names aren't "alien sounding" enough.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:52:35 pm by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Men in Black 2.9a | Cover Alien 1.6 | New needs name
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2014, 11:02:58 pm »
This is beyond awesome.

How about you change the name "Spectre" to "Spectral"? And name the basic race "Phantroms"? It's a bit silly, but I think it fits the game. :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2014, 11:08:35 pm »
Sorry I don't like it.
For the energy thing I'd like a name derived from "color" or  "chromatic", to recall Lovecraft's "Color out of space".
I just can't think of anything special though.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2014, 11:17:05 pm »
Sorry I don't like it.
For the energy thing I'd like a name derived from "color" or  "chromatic", to recall Lovecraft's "Color out of space".
how about using colour in another language see the sidebar of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color
Dath, Ibara, Spalva, Llimphi, Midab, ...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2014, 11:34:14 pm »
Sorry I don't like it.

Ah, I see. Sure, I'll think of something more Lovecraftian, but on the other hand I guess you would be the best one to author the name. :)

Now, it is not my place to ask, but why do you place all your mods in one thread? Frankly, it's rather confusing to have two of them here, and now there's yet another one... Could you please think of putting them in separate threads? Just don't take it personally, please - I'm trying to help. :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2014, 11:47:02 pm »
Ah, I see. Sure, I'll think of something more Lovecraftian, but on the other hand I guess you would be the best one to author the name. :)

Now, it is not my place to ask, but why do you place all your mods in one thread? Frankly, it's rather confusing to have two of them here, and now there's yet another one... Could you please think of putting them in separate threads? Just don't take it personally, please - I'm trying to help. :)
No problem at all! I'm sorry if I sound pissed sometimes: I'm not, I'm just answering quickly while I keep drawing and I might not pay attention to my tone  :-[

And yeah you are right, I should really make some order. It's just that I start drawing as soon as I have time and and then it's already time to go to bed lol.
(I've actually subscribed to the mod site some time ago but I never received any email confirmation).

how about using colour in another language see the sidebar of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color
Dath, Ibara, Spalva, Llimphi, Midab, ...
I'll look into them but they seem a little to "sophisticated".

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2014, 01:42:53 am »
Langoliers for the energy discs? Cyclops for the one-eyed monster? (giggity) aren't a lot the alien names generally assumed to be "what the soldiers call them" (snakemen, ethereals, reapers)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2014, 02:00:06 am »
Laserdiscs  ;D

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2014, 02:12:59 am »
Langoliers for the energy discs?
That would be so great that I think it would render me unable to play for laughing too hard about the movie.

I like the "chromatic" angle, it has a cool retro sci-fi vibe.

It can't be stopped! It can't be defined! Flee for your lives to escape the wrath of...
The Chromadisk/Chromatron/Omnichrome/Holochrome!

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2014, 02:39:49 am »
its like a space time hole? and... no arms thing?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2014, 02:40:32 am »
Langoliers for the energy discs? Cyclops for the one-eyed monster? (giggity) aren't a lot the alien names generally assumed to be "what the soldiers call them" (snakemen, ethereals, reapers)
I too thought about "Cyclops". But the word makes me think of something giant-sized. I also thought of a "similar-sounding" name, like "Klopian" but not sold at all.

Laserdiscs  ;D
lol it's hilarious how adequate it is!

That would be so great that I think it would render me unable to play for laughing too hard about the movie.

I like the "chromatic" angle, it has a cool retro sci-fi vibe.

It can't be stopped! It can't be defined! Flee for your lives to escape the wrath of...
The Chromadisk/Chromatron/Omnichrome/Holochrome!

These sound good.
I was thinking about Pulser.
mmm
Holochrome + TFTD Biodrone = Holodrone (it is actually a drone so it would fit).

its like a space time hole? and... no arms thing?
I was testing the legs animation there and it was still arms-less at that time. Now it's already all done but the Ufopaedia graphics.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:45:10 am by robin »