aliens

Author Topic: Men in Black | Cover Alien | Gazer Alien | WIP new thing  (Read 198632 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Men in Black -beta 1.9a | Cover Alien 1.2
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »
I frankly never noticed there was some kind of order in there lol.

Lol, me neither really, before I got interested in this. :P I'm sure some people out there treat this very seriously though, so why not appease them.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2014, 07:03:52 pm »
But what's the point of listOrders for research? I mean, for items and ufopaedia it's obviously to make them appear in the desired place in the buy-sell menu / ufopaedia menu, but for research.. yeah there's the list when you select a new project but I frankly never noticed there was some kind of order in there lol.

However I'll add theml in the next version (I have to understand how listOrder works first, though), and I'll add Italian text too.
I tried to have MiB do a terror-like mission, with a ufo (using the graphics of a house, so there wouldn't be any actual ufo on the battlescape) spawned grounded (green icon) for 10 hours, and forcing a URBAN terrain (with civilians too) for the battlescape.

I also tried to have MiB build bases, again with a ufo (using the graphics of a large warehouse) spawned grounded for 20 years, with a 2nd stage following the first battlescape battle, using the X-COM base terrain.

I couldn't get them to work for more than one reason, so I scrapped them (for now).

Perhaps you should've kept it simple. Why not a MIB base that's just a wharehouse/large complex?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »
Perhaps you should've kept it simple. Why not a MIB base that's just a wharehouse/large complex?
I've already written about this in the topic.
I couldn't get ufo spawning fixed on the ground for the proper amount of time: it doesn't make sense to have "flying warehouses" roaming around the globe for some minutes then disappearing.

So the whole idea is frozen until someone else more competent than me saves the day (for example Dioxine, I'm sure he'll manage to do something, and then I'll pillage his ruleset like there's no tomorrow!).
 8)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2014, 05:00:25 pm »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2014, 05:20:36 pm »
very nice... but where did the pimples/craters/holes/suckers/whatever-they-really-are go? :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2014, 05:57:10 pm »
Don't worry they'll be back.
At this stage I'm interested in "getting right" the overall shape during the movement (it's a bit subtle but if you look I already improved the South-east animation compared the gif I posted before).
When I'm satisfied, I can safely add all the details.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »
The ufo palette isn't friendly when trying to reproduce the original look, I'd need more a brown-ish green to have a better (smoother) red-to-green transition.
The red in the palette is also very bright (it is used to draw the box-select cursor afterall), so I'm actually using an orange here.

I'm thinking of going with an original coloration. Uhm....

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2014, 01:34:36 am »
X-Com: UFO Defense has a completely different philosophy when it comes to colours; it's basically more cartoonish.

I really like the brownish one. All of them look good though.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2014, 01:59:00 am »
The "yellow brown" near the guy, or the "orange brown" (same colorset as Reaper) near the interface?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2014, 03:23:40 am »
The "yellow brown" near the guy, or the "orange brown" (same colorset as Reaper) near the interface?

Having pondered it, I prefer the one near the guy, but all colour schemes look fine and professional.

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2014, 11:25:06 am »
The ufo palette isn't friendly when trying to reproduce the original look, I'd need more a brown-ish green to have a better (smoother) red-to-green transition.
The red in the palette is also very bright (it is used to draw the box-select cursor afterall), so I'm actually using an orange here.

I'm thinking of going with an original coloration. Uhm....

Awesome!  :o And yes, the yellow/browwn one closest to the agent looks best imo.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:39:18 am by civilian »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: Men in Black -beta 2.2 | Cover Alien 1.2
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »
Sort of big-ish update (2.1) for MiB MOD.

Added and new sprite for the leader\commander. They look like JC Denton (Deus Ex 1) now. Silly but fun.
Also added a bigger ufo (abductor) to the MiB fleet and the Italian translation.

Here's the full cast, I don't think I'm going to change/add it anymore:

edit:
v 2.2 up, fixed death screams.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:35:02 pm by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:52 pm »
Can you please explain what the deal is with the additional weapons (MACHINE PISTOL, SNIPER RIFLE)?

Are they just for X-Com to use, or will MiB use them too? I suppose they won't, since I can't see them in the alienDeployments section.

The main reason I'm asking is that I'd like to add a version that is compatible with the Alien Armoury Extended mod, which uses 4 loadouts instead of 3 (so basically I need to add one weapon per "alien"), so I want to make sure I'll use proper weapons.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2014, 10:02:03 pm »
Right now they're only for X-COM. This is not set in stone though; I'm actually thinking, for a still-not-dated next version, to re-merging everything and having MiB use them.
I know some people would dislike that but its not like I'm adding a "plasma chain nuker" or a "laser everything 9000": it's two simple, weak, "tier1" weapons and I really dislike having 2 rulesets around for something that minor.

(I was actually waiting before doing that, to be able to implement the MiB terror/base mission).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:06:02 pm by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2014, 10:18:09 pm »
Thanks!

I'm attaching a modified ruleset for Alien Armoury Expanded, in case someone wants to use both at the same time.

PS. It's completely untested. :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:36:40 pm by Solarius Scorch »