Author Topic: Men in Black | Cover Alien | Gazer Alien | WIP new thing  (Read 195434 times)

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
Re: Men in Black -beta 1.2 (also cover alien ALPHA)
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 06:02:17 pm »
Hoooo i see is a wasp, sorry

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: Men in Black -beta 1.2 (also cover alien ALPHA)
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:55 pm »
Hoooo i see is a wasp, sorry
The name "Waspite" come from two things:
1. "Wasp", just as you thought.
2. The Antmen aliens from this movie (book), which are called "Selenites".
So: "Selenite" minus "Selene" plus "Wasp" = "Waspite"

---
I added a new version of the mod, 0.8 (download  attached in the first post).
The terror unit is done and working.
It is currently called "Injectrod" but "Cybermite" is still pondered.
It has an average-powered melee attack and it is "slow" as a reaper while being waaaay more frail; but it is small and therefore (theoretically) more difficult to hit.
Aaaand it has a nasty ability, that makes it already dangerous BEFORE it's next to your agents, so be careful :P

To do (for 1.0):
+ bigobs
+ ufopedia
---- injectrod
---- injectrod autopsy

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Men in Black -beta 1.2; Cover Alien -alpha 0.8
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 10:38:49 pm »
I have a request, although I think it won't be taken lightly. Would it be possible to make the Waspites slightly more brownish or reddish in colour? The problem here is that they can be really hard to see on grass backgrounds and, in fact, this already happens with mutons on jungle scenarios, on what people like to call a case of "find the muton".

Protip: bottom right corner

So yeah aside from that, we don't really have any kind of yellow or brownish aliens other than the reapers. It would also fit the name "wasp" a bit more, since wasps are yellow and not green.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 10:47:04 pm »
It's too late for that I fear, since now I've already drawn the ufopedia art for the Waspite. Changing the color of the sprites is easy, the ufopedia art is harder (it's not hard to just change it, but I'm still limited to the palette so the result cold be ugly).

But even green colored it should be quite more visible that the muton, thanks to the big yellow eyes and the spiral metallic torso.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 11:02:09 pm »
So yeah aside from that, we don't really have any kind of yellow or brownish aliens other than the reapers. It would also fit the name "wasp" a bit more, since wasps are yellow and not green.

snakemen and ethereals don't count as yellow or brownish?

besides, it's the cover alien, it's green on the cover, it'd be weird to have it brown in game (and yes i know there's a red muton in the intro)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:30:38 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:19 pm »
Snakemen do, you're right, but ethereals are more on the red side.

Offline ThatDude

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 12:54:08 am »
Honestly, I'm amazed to see a quality mod built in such short time! I like how the sprites look like they're actually supposed to be in the game and not from a mod. I love the autopsy sprite, very well done!

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 04:44:57 am »
OMFG! Man this cover alien its amazing!!! the ufopedia and autopsy sprites are the best!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

on the other hand.... i changes your ruleset to have a veeery psi aggressive alien
soldiers have 10 on psi strength..... commanders 60
make me have fear now!

and changed the cybermite whit the sectopod, i sorry its too small.

PD. the game crashes when i try to see the ufopedia waspite even whit the untoched ruleset.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:09:24 am by Angelus_EV »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 09:58:38 am »
Honestly, I'm amazed to see a quality mod built in such short time! I like how the sprites look like they're actually supposed to be in the game and not from a mod. I love the autopsy sprite, very well done!
Thanks. I found out about OpenXcom modding capabilities only recently; people had already done amazing stuff and I have to catch up. Half-jokes aside,  I'm dedicating almost all my free time to it now but as soon as I reach 1.0 I'll calm down. Probably.

The game crashes when i try to see the ufopedia waspite even whit the untoched ruleset.
It does. I'll look into it tomorrow.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:04:59 am by robin »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2014, 11:54:35 am »
To be fair I'm quite impressed with your work so far. You're quite the draftsman.

I wanted to ask you how will MIB equipment will level up. I was thinking they should tag along your own research tech from one point (as in, getting laser weapons when you do, kinda like they somehow stole your tech), but just start receiving standard alien plasma weaponry from one point in the game. As for the extra weapons, like the sniper and the machine pistol, would it be possible to make them optional? I'm not really a fan of new weapon mods to be fair.

Additionally, should MIB adopt certain behaviours aliens don't? I was thinking it would be nice to have them use medikits to heal and maybe even revive each other, although that will certain require some AI trickery.

Finally, and considering you're perhaps one of the best sprite artists we have around, I'd like to ask you something on behalf of core development. As we have some fan contributions to be included as part of the main OXC package (notably Arne's alien weapon icons) I was wondering if you could ever find the time to create alien paperdolls for the battlescape inventory menus. It's one of those lacking bits of artwork that always annoyed me in x-com, and I honestly feel we should gap it up the same way we did with the alien weapon icons. The problem is, we need a good artist.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2014, 02:26:36 pm »
hey maybe your alien can be named Mantide

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2014, 10:08:26 pm »
To be fair I'm quite impressed with your work so far. You're quite the draftsman.

I wanted to ask you how will MIB equipment will level up. I was thinking they should tag along your own research tech from one point (as in, getting laser weapons when you do, kinda like they somehow stole your tech), but just start receiving standard alien plasma weaponry from one point in the game. As for the extra weapons, like the sniper and the machine pistol, would it be possible to make them optional? I'm not really a fan of new weapon mods to be fair.

Additionally, should MIB adopt certain behaviours aliens don't? I was thinking it would be nice to have them use medikits to heal and maybe even revive each other, although that will certain require some AI trickery.

Finally, and considering you're perhaps one of the best sprite artists we have around, I'd like to ask you something on behalf of core development. As we have some fan contributions to be included as part of the main OXC package (notably Arne's alien weapon icons) I was wondering if you could ever find the time to create alien paperdolls for the battlescape inventory menus. It's one of those lacking bits of artwork that always annoyed me in x-com, and I honestly feel we should gap it up the same way we did with the alien weapon icons. The problem is, we need a good artist.
MIB right now have standard weapons and laser weapons, but no plasma weapons. This because I want them to "feel" different than the aliens, and there isn't much more I can do by editing a ruleset (they're also humans, so I can't give them strange abilities, like zombification). The idea was to give them their own weapon tech, rail weapons*, but I sort of dropped it since I started working on the cover aliens.

The stuff you ask for (medkit use) is cool but beyond my capabilities (I can't code), and frankly also beyond the amount of time end effort I want to dedicate to this mod.
I always thought of the MIB mod as a simple addition to the game: and extra "a little different" enemy faction, nothing more. My intention of making it was also to learn about OpenXcom modding, before, eventually, starting to do the (big) mods I really want to make: Apocalypse Redux or perhaps something about Cthulhu set around year 1900. The mod though already outgrew its original concept, since I added the cover aliens.

It's possible to make the new weapons optional. Initially it was to be like that, but working on the mod split in a modular form could be painful, so for now, until I'm sure everything works well (for example I can't get my UFOpaedia entries to work), I'll keep it together.

* this was the bigobs for the new railgun

but the lazyness defeated me on this one :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:15:15 pm by robin »

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2014, 02:02:15 am »
Man i wondering,  maybe the crash problem is what the ufopedia image must be complete even the text box at 640x400 maybe SupSuper can help you

and thinking to future maybe you can do a underwater version of this alien
like this

Edit: sorry image died!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:23:26 pm by Angelus_EV »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »
Managed to get the MIB ufopaedia image entry working.

Now hopefully the same trick will work for the aliens too.

edit:
aaaaaaand done,

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:02:15 pm by robin »

volutar

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 05:35:36 pm »
Excuse me, I'll comment image of ufopaedia entry for MiB.
There's no dithering in xcom art stylistic. It's comics like with hard cel shades.

And even if there are some gradients, they should fit single colour group.

Not that Floyed-Steinberg: with chaotic dither pattern, but ordered:

Waspite autopsy, looks more than authentic, and deserves words of cheers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:37:19 pm by volutar »