aliens

Author Topic: Danish Translation  (Read 33415 times)

Offline bramcor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Danish Translation
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:25 pm »
I guess I'll be managing the Danish translation then :)

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Danish Translation
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
Hi :)

What is the current status of the danish translation? I would love to help out - if I can :)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »
From what I can see here, there is no Danish translation.

Feel free to start your own :)

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:55 pm »
I guess there is nothing going on? There is still no danish translation, and I would love to help out. I have read through the howto on translations the game, and it looks like it suits my newb skills :)

Has anybody started yet, or..?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:13 am »
If anyone had started one, it would have been either already commited, or at least mentioned here.

In order not to repeat myself,

Feel free to start your own :)

;)

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:33:33 pm »
kkmic, thank you :) I'll try to start something up.. Though I hate when games are translated to danish ;) The link in the howto is dead, so I'm waiting for Supsuper' reply.

If anybody want's to help out, then contact me at: kraeztjan at hotmail.com

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:15 pm »
kkmic, thank you :) I'll try to start something up.. Though I hate when games are translated to danish ;) The link in the howto is dead, so I'm waiting for Supsuper' reply.

If anybody want's to help out, then contact me at: kraeztjan at hotmail.com
I've fixed the link now, thanks for noticing. There's also a clearer howto in the wiki: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Translations_(OpenXcom)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »
Just remember to wrap it in a URL tag so that you get the full link: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Translations_(OpenXcom)

It was missing the closing parenthesis.

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:10 pm »
Okay :) So far so good.. Maybe I need some help anyway.

I have looked through the current translations of the game, and I know I must get the ENGLISH.lng, and then start translating it into danish? Or should somebody make a danish, which I can translate into?

When I have completed some/all, should I send it somewhere, or where should it go?

If anybody has a good suggestion for a texteditor for mac, I'm all ears ;)

Edit: found a good editor.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:29:58 am by re-mind »

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:53:27 pm »
Well.. nevermind :P I downloaded the ENGLISH.lng, and started translating. This is FUN! Give me a few days, and tell me where you want it.

oh.. btw, I already see a few things that does not work english vs. danish. What do I do about these things?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:14 am »
What are the issues you have encountered?

Considering that probably no one else speaks Danish, can you describe them in English? :)

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:50 am »
Well so far, I have only noticed a few :)

ex: time in english can be directly translated into "tid", but the english can also mean at a certain time on a clock, so that would translate into "klokken". But I guess I must play through the game, and see what is best :) Hopefully I won't need both.

1st, 2nd, 3rd makes no sense in danish. Either we write the number in letters "første, anden tredje", or we put a punctuation after the number - so "st" would translate to ".".

I have used a fair amount of time with the danish comma, and it does not correspond with the commas in the english language, so I guess this should also be corrected?

Apart from that! Danish just sounds silly when talking about rockets, access lifts and such :P

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:12:12 am »
Well so far, I have only noticed a few :)

ex: time in english can be directly translated into "tid", but the english can also mean at a certain time on a clock, so that would translate into "klokken". But I guess I must play through the game, and see what is best :) Hopefully I won't need both.

1st, 2nd, 3rd makes no sense in danish. Either we write the number in letters "første, anden tredje", or we put a punctuation after the number - so "st" would translate to ".".

My language (Romanian) does not have special "markers" for the first, second, third and so on elements in a certain list/context, so for the first day of the month, the translations simply reads "1 Ianuarie 1999" (instead of January 1st 1999). See if the same applies to Danish.

I have used a fair amount of time with the danish comma, and it does not correspond with the commas in the english language, so I guess this should also be corrected?

Just use your best judgement. Try finding synonyms, and words that would convey the proper meaning, not just translating the direct English equivalent  (I know, easier said than done).

Apart from that! Danish just sounds silly when talking about rockets, access lifts and such :P

Welcome to the "we play in English although there is a translation in our native language that sounds silly" club! :)

Offline re-mind

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:31 am »
Haha.. I'm already a proud member of that club :)

Well, I'll just try to make it work, and hope others will help me out later on. Guess there will be alot of testing ;)

Thank you for the help so far!

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:30 pm »
Welcome to the "we play in English although there is a translation in our native language that sounds silly" club! :)
Sci-fi techno babble always sounds cooler in English. ;)