Author Topic: Translations migrated to GetLocalization  (Read 48764 times)

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Translations migrated to GetLocalization
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 02:37:05 pm »
It seems that in the UFOpedia description there are two white spaces after each dot. At least in the Live/Alien Autopsy & XCom Craft Weapons descriptions.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 01:16:12 pm »
just started looking into GetLocalization and trying to improve the German translation... is there an easy way to find in which context the strings are used? Probably not, eh? I guess the "easiest" way is to search for the string in github...

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 01:33:40 pm »
I'm actually working on that, finished with ~half of the strings.
First, I started taking screenshots of the various screens and noting the strings used in each, but that is too time consuming, so I took the english language file in excel and put notes beside each string on where it is used.
I'll post it when it's done.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 02:05:08 pm »
I'm actually working on that, finished with ~half of the strings.
First, I started taking screenshots of the various screens and noting the strings used in each, but that is too time consuming, so I took the english language file in excel and put notes beside each string on where it is used.
I'll post it when it's done.

way cool! wait... didn't SupSuper say that he has screenshots of every screen? maybe those two reference systems could be combined?

on another note: I think the "STR_GENERAL_STORES_UFOPEDIA" needs to be updated throughout localizations. it says "All equipment, weapons systems, munitions, recovered material and Heavy Weapons Platforms are placed in stores, with the exception of equipment assigned to craft in hangars.", but AFAIR the craft-assigned equipment actually does count into base storage space now that the 80-item-limit has been removed.

So now it should probably be "All equipment, weapons systems, munitions, recovered material and Heavy Weapons Platforms are placed in stores, including reserved space for equipment assigned to craft in hangars."  8)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 05:45:23 pm »
Here's all the screenshots I've used to make OpenXcom, they're from the vanilla game so a lot might have changed, but they should at least save you some trouble.

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 07:37:05 pm »
Thanks, i'll think at how to present all this info. Probably in html.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:14 pm »
SupSuper, is it possible for me to propose more than one translation for a string? sometimes I'm kinda torn between two possible translation and would like to propose both, so others can vote on them. but every time I try to add another translation, it overwrites my previous one instead.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 08:36:39 am »
A filter to show strings that have two or more translations whould be great. That way it should be easy to spot translations that are debated, and people could vote for the best. For example, right now there are two translations that, although are better, they ranked as 2nd.
I admit, this happend due to inertia on my part, when voting for strings (I voted first for the original translation, then proposed a new translation and voted it) - maybe a botton for canceling my vote would be good too.
As a side note, what are the attributes after which the list is sorted? Right now it seems to be completely random. That makes it somehow difficult to determine where exactly the string is used. It was easier before, when consecutive strings where somewhat related.
Sadly GetLocalization seems to scrap the original file order. :( When in doubt you can always dig out the Language files.
The sorting setting seems to be controlled by the "filter" option at the top. "Sorted by Quality" (however that's measured) seems to list strings with multiple translations first, so you can try that. There's also filters for strings you've voted on or not.

Oh, my bad. I will.

Question: How do I search for a certain "key" on GL?
You can't seem to search by key as a translator, though you can see it in the Context.

way cool! wait... didn't SupSuper say that he has screenshots of every screen? maybe those two reference systems could be combined?

on another note: I think the "STR_GENERAL_STORES_UFOPEDIA" needs to be updated throughout localizations. it says "All equipment, weapons systems, munitions, recovered material and Heavy Weapons Platforms are placed in stores, with the exception of equipment assigned to craft in hangars.", but AFAIR the craft-assigned equipment actually does count into base storage space now that the 80-item-limit has been removed.

So now it should probably be "All equipment, weapons systems, munitions, recovered material and Heavy Weapons Platforms are placed in stores, including reserved space for equipment assigned to craft in hangars."  8)
Nice catch, it's fixed now. Let me know if there are any other major inaccuracies in the game text, as I remember the original had a few which confused players.

SupSuper, is it possible for me to propose more than one translation for a string? sometimes I'm kinda torn between two possible translation and would like to propose both, so others can vote on them. but every time I try to add another translation, it overwrites my previous one instead.
I'll have a look.

Offline radius75

• Colonel
  • I am the average PC user!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »
Changes in the file en-US (string ID or string Desc) = all translations this string is deleted and there is no sign on it (it is impossible to check - getlocalization.com  - the previous version of the translation). Comments can not be recovered. The new proposals - are also lost.
Only view the Git history,  efficiently helps and allows fix it (translate again).

This probably causes some complete-translations becomes a incomplete.

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2013, 08:45:55 pm »
Yeah, been through that and looked at the git hub history. This will probably be a "one time only" thing - due to the transition from sentence composed of multiple strings to single string containing whole sentence.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »
Thanks, i'll think at how to present all this info. Probably in html.
If you want, GetLocalization lets you attach screenshots and text to a string's context. Though a html page might still be nice for an overview.

unexpected changes: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/658a3c44a4f571854ce52af12111f4114ce2a940
Ok I've updated the pluralization system now and added blank strings to English so hopefully they should reach every language now. I made it follow the Unicode standard, where "_zero", "_one", "_few", "_many" and "_other" define the plural strings.

Just leave strings that don't apply to your language blank or a space or whatever, as they won't be used anyways.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:38:43 pm by SupSuper »

Offline radius75

• Colonel
  • I am the average PC user!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:36 pm »
Empty strings "_few" and "_many" in en-US is not visible for translators (getloc.com).
Name them (desc.) "<few>" and "<many>", or something.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 10:09:09 pm »
Empty strings "_few" and "_many" in en-US is not visible for translators (getloc.com).
Name them (desc.) "<few>" and "<many>", or something.
Ok I just copy-pasted the plural strings so translators won't miss what the original string is.

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 08:55:56 am »
How about something like this: strings.html

Edit: Updated the string list in this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1561.msg15054.html#msg15054
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:19:25 pm by cort »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 09:33:22 am »
nice string list... maybe we could just put it onto a wiki page? that way it would be nicely available and the screenshots could be added by everybody... collaboratively. :)