aliens

Author Topic: [WIP] Xeno Operations LEGACY  (Read 20204 times)

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Xeno Operations LEGACY
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 05:19:49 am »
Another post time, i could wait a few days before i finished the last bits of paperdolls layers, but i really wanted to post something (so i feel im making at least a little bit of progress)

basically the same as beta but some tiers finished and its  advanced enough to recieve reports about clipping .

Spoiler:
v0.96.v6 LE:
    -Slowly but steadely restructurating some .RUL files (eliminated redundant ones, cleaning, merging and organizing others, tbh they were a mess and dear lord, i increased this mess), still a lot to do tho
   -Updated Death sounds, now all races (should) be consistent on the sound deparment, used firaxis 2012 XCOM sounds  (corrected basic mutons using new sound but more advanced versions using vainilla instead)
     °Fixed some crashes related to death sounds (thanks a lot to eleriumWard for pointing this)
   -Changed armors , finally into layers system!
   (so many thanks to SolariusScorch, his amazing work with XFILES mod helped me a lot to understand what the hell i was doing wrong)
    (used his body sprites as basis for every edit i made to the armors sprites,to assure the maximum compatibility possible.... so hopefully , he or anyone who whises to include this armors on their mod shouldnt have bigger problems      
    °pilots only use blue variants
    °other classes cant use pilot variants (gonna edit them further to make them more unique visually and conceptually)
    °custom preview mini sprite for every armor (with the exception of skystrike and the nerve ones, this is on the to do list)
    °First tier completely done, up to HEC armor.
     *redone the helmets a bit ,added microphones and new night vision google system, with QUAD lenses (heavily inspired from CTO mod from EFRENSPARTANO, check it out, its pretty rad!)
    °second tier its being worked currently, wont have any helmet until i finish retouching them.
    °the rest of the tiers are theoretically done,their "helmets" (they use kinda astronaut thing attached to their head/neck, dont know the correct word sorry) will be finished really soon
    SO I HUMBLY REQUEST that any rebel/floating/extra pixel i missed could be reported so i can fix them ASAP
   -Replaced some ufopaedia images:
    °handcrafted version for pilots (despcription still to be done)
    °a temporal soldiers picture until i find other that satisfy me more.
    °redone the muton commander (finally there are no more muton pajamas)
    °an alternative F35 lighting picture
    °an alternative XF3 fighter picture
   - made new paperdolls for DOGGOS!
     °now first two tiers use newer papperdolls, still pretty rough collored, (hope i can improve them as i learn to paint better tho)
     *first tier a simple collar, second tier now uses a more intricated harness, with lots of straps and stuff), already drafted general ideas for next ones.
     *plans are to integrate this with the LAYERS so instead of faces, there are others breeds (currently working on a mallinois, a doberman and a rottweiler, any ideas will be appreciated)    
   -Replaced basic drone with a four rotors quadcopter version (added unique sound, so it buzz like commercial drones and differentiate from the rocket drone)
   -Replaced Basic sectoid sprites:
    °Sectoids now uses a recoloured version of AQUATOIDS (my favorite alien from tftd), imho they had a more striking and unique profile, im happy with the results but currently thinking on changing the color into a more blueish gray (so the brown/kaki/coyote/ scheme is "reserved" for xcom units), kinda the palette of xcom2012 firaxis sectoids.
    °no matter how much i tried, i wasnt satisfied with any change made to sectoids (they kept looking like a brown splat)
   -Finally changed the ranks to be more consistent:
     °every rank have an unique sprite:
     *a single stud for rookies up to master sergeants with chevrons and stuff (also retouched background a bit)
      *retouched the pilots ranks sprites a bit and renamed them(also retouched the background into a more blueish scheme to diferentiate of standard soldiers)
     *Officers ranks renamed and updated sprites (to avoid some misleading or confusing situations, like having a third lieutenant being promoted to a THIRD lieutenant again)
     *ranks sprites and flags of doggos retouched a bit (so it alings better with ui and keeps the same general appearence)
    °there is still a bug related to ranks, if you see the ranks on the base, the ui colors some parts of the studs incorrectly(easily appreciated with captains double bar for example), it works correclty in battlescape, so i guess is something related to palettes.
   -Added a new unit type, a land drone armed with a small smoke launcher, useful for scouting ahead and helping with the deployment phase, you can set up some screening before sending rookies to their (assured) death
     °eliminated mortar tank (seemed redundant, thinking on doing the same with the MRLS and repurporsed in another variant )
     °currently thinking pushing the standard tank into requiring A-Alloys to construct and delay their apparition a bit later (kinda like the laser tank on vainilla)
    -Tried adding new flags but couldnt find a way to make it work (i decided to stop making new flags, they are free to use by anyone, they took me less than 10 minutes each so if anyone is interested of making more, just DM and i would gladly help
   - citing a very wise modder i know: Several Bugfixes done. (sorry a lot of RLI happened so i lost track of some changes made)

Offline _Brain322

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 06:10:11 pm »
Looks really promising and awesome !

Keep it up !

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 09:14:12 am »
a new version its ready for this weekend. Beware, some changes might break your current campaings, be sure to read the changelog and to update with a geoscape save, some units might dissapear (tanks) until i finish the work intended(a few days hopefully).

Spoiler:
v0.96.v7 LE:
    -Added new items:
    °All the items has custom sprites, inspired heavily from Xcomfiles. So thanks again for all the work done by solariusScorch. They need ufopaedia text which is currently being done.
      *adrenalin syringe: gives 1 dose to revive stun soldiers (get discarded after use)
     *First aid kit: heals 1 point of bleeding, can be used on themselves, its discarded after use),Cost more TUs,so its slower than other medkits
     *Basic medkit:  heal 1 point of bleeding and have 5 charges, useful for dedicated medic units, its expensive,heavier but heals more quickly and recharge freely after missions.
     *Renamed the starting medkit to Field surgeon kit: Bulkier and expensive, but more space efficient. Has access to painkillers pills and adrenaline doses, also recovers extra life points per use (mid of the road time usage).
   -Improved sprites for some weapons on early tiers:
     °the basic   PDW now resemble an IWI TAVOR (tar 21).
    °Basic SMG now its more alike of a MP5
    °very sliiiiight retouches to basic rifle so it looks more like a h&k 416
    °heavy cannon got a different stock and grip, kinda look lika a MGL
    °the X6 rifle its now an heavily modded and chonkier FN SCAR-L
    °the X4 now should resemble more a h&k UMP 9 (tried my best, might get further edits tho)
    -Added improved hand objects (made by IvanDrogovich), now a lot of items doenst use the black coconut sprite and its easier to know what your troops and carrying on a simple glimpse
   -More work done with the custom layers system:
    °modified a lot of body sprites (groomed a lot of haircuts, to avoid clipping with some helmets and headgears)
    °finished POWER ARMOR layers, they should correctly show the turtleneck neoprene suit and their respective hair (i would appreciate any report in case i missed anyone)
    °finished ALLOY ARMOR (same as above)
    °finished PERSONAL ARMOR (same as above with the addition of the googles of this tier(finally managed to get the desired "head<turtleneck<hair<googles" distribution, took me a lot of more time that i expected, sorry)
    °sky strike should be finished soon, now that i streamlined the process
    °with this more than half of the work should be done now (missing only nerve, and xops)
     *Xops its being worked now, will have their googles pulled up , so it needs a bit more of work than other tiers
     *nerve should take a bit longer as im intending of finishing all the sprite work at once (including the battlescape sprites)
   -Temporarily eliminated ALL the first chassis HWP (including basic,multi rocket, mortar, and laser) , this will be top priority for next patch.
    °should have three basic models, expensive and should require alloy for construction (giving the land drone and doggos an early niche role),pushing back the date they are deployed one or two months .
     *Land drone will have their smoke launcher replaced with a short range shotgun (smoke its kinda underwhealming as main weapon for it intended role imho)
     *basic with a 20mm cannon (faster rate of fire, AP ammo), smoke launcher as secondary weapon (intended for support and scouting)
     *a MBT with 76mm(?) HE version , a tank (cyberdisc) buster , brawler unit .
     *a laser gatling version.
    °Improved HWP(the cyberdisk with a tank turret welded on top)  will have their sprites replaced, secondary weapon should be either a lobbing HE or rocket launcher, main weapons should be same gatling laser and some plasma and railgun for advanced models.
   -bugfixes:
    °manufacture items now should be more consistent
     *biggest example: all armors showed their standard version, personal showed the "blue" version.
    °starting date changed to january of 2024
    °some alien missions were appearing earlier than intended (first CODEX were sectoids a whooping 60% of the time,having 4-7 cyberdisc felt quite oppresive if you got unlucky and RNG decided to put them directly aside your starting position)
    °balanced some prices
    °added (and removed in some occasions) items from starting base in new campaings.
    °finally managed to fix the visual bug of rank sprites on the baseview, should work as intended
    °last patch i said i finished tinyranks sprites, found i loaded the wrong file (SHOULD BE FINISHED NOW), (still trying to find how to add different tinysprite for different soldiertypes tho)

Installation:

**To properly run the mod, you'll need an OXCE installation (currently version 7.8.7 at the time of finishing this post).
** BRUTAL AI MOD by Xilmi is highly recommended, and at this point, I consider it a must-have. I encourage you to check it out.

- Download the file from the site XOPS LEGACY by Blackwolf in MOD.io Portal or the file attached (the difference in size is irrelevant, its the same , just that i found a way to better compress it and evade the size limitation in the forum)
- Unzip and Drop the content inside your MOD folder.
- When updating from previous versions of the mod, it's recommended to delete the old folder completely (rather than simply overwriting it) and use the newer version, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED (for hotfixes and patches).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:34:37 pm by blackwolf »

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2022, 12:18:38 pm »
Looking forward to seeing more of that great alien weapon assets too!  ;) Apparently, some were left behind and unfinished. It is very hard for me to replicate that fancy style due to the lack of art skills...

Offline Fegelein

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2022, 09:27:51 am »
Hi, i'd like to report this bug.
Something weird happened to this soldier sprite right here. Seems like an issue with a spritesheet.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2022, 06:28:26 pm »
Hi, i'd like to report this bug.
Something weird happened to this soldier sprite right here. Seems like an issue with a spritesheet.

It seems to be inherited from the original mod (the pic redimensioned somehow and broke the spritesheet), and i almost never use black armors, so it slipped my eye. Thanks for your report pal.

i attached an small hotfix, just drop it in the main mod folder
Next update will be finished soon.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2022, 06:42:56 pm »
Looking forward to seeing more of that great alien weapon assets too!  ;) Apparently, some were left behind and unfinished. It is very hard for me to replicate that fancy style due to the lack of art skills...

Yea, im still learning and the Xop's artstyle its unbeatable imho but i'll try my best!

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 06:07:00 am »
Hello guys, sorry for the long absence, what was supposed to be a small update, rapidly grew in size to the point i found myself  ̶w̶a̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ spending extra time in some even small nitpicks who might be considered irrelevant on the grand scheme of the mod (the nationalities upgrade took me more than i wished).

As some disclaimers:
 THIS MIGHT BREAK YOUR SAVEGAMES , thereby i highly recommend to start a new campaing:
* I added some new ufopedia entries (that might be missing in your current campaing),also rebalanced the early game a bit, added a new transport plane, reintegrated (finally) the basic tanks, etc.
* Made some changes and assured compatibility with BRUTAL AI MOD by Xilmi , at this point i consider it a MUST HAVE, so i encourage you to check it out.
* I always recomended using the soldiers diary and commendations mod BY Shoes, Ivan Dogovich and hellrazor, decided to integrate it , all credits goes for them, i just adjusted some parameters to better compatibility with the mod.

The mod file its attached below, after all the pictures.

make sure to check the changelog:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
v0.96.v8 LE:

At first a small disclaimer, i have been trying the amazing BRUTAL IA MOD, and i heavily encourage to do it so to get an improved experience, i cant remark all the changes so go take a look (esto seria un link).
    -Thus as a QoL , made a small changes to metadata files so its fully compatible with BRUTAL IA MOD (in case you already tried and found XOPS LEGACY didnt showed up in the mod list for activation)
   -Finally!, after spending more time that i wished, the paperdolls layered system its fully implemented
    *Every tier now its DONE™, there are still some clipping issues on some sprites, but they'll be progressively ironed out (nerve and personal armour doesnt cover all the body in some sprites)
      °now i can focus on finishing some sprite work like the nerve armour or updating the basic sprites to show the newer four scoped Night vision googles to name a few examples
    -Finally learned how to add new nationalities:
     *There are now 115 nationalities
      °Some flags are entirely new, others were retouched
     °expanded the name pools of almost all countries (my target is to add at least 500 names per gender and 1000 surnames,thera still some cases were the number werent enough to consider it finished)
     °focused on adding missing countries with either high military spending, or history of cooperation with bigger supperpowers or UN peacekeeping forces (colombia and malasya for example)
    *reorganized "nationalities" (i.e. the flags) into (imho) a more intiutive order, basically into alphabetical order, (so now USA and EGYPT are moved lower on the list, to name a few changes)
     °be wary that with this changes, most of the soldiers flags will be flipped all over the place, so you might need to manually fix this yourself, sorry :s .
   -Three new doggos friends!, increasing the total to 4 diferent breeds
     *Mallinois, German Shepperds, Dobbermans and Rottweilers sprites done (if anyone has ideas for other k9 breeds that should be included tbh, im all ears)
    *Implemented layered system on doggos, so collars and combat harness can be used the same way as armors for soldiers
     °i will try and make new fur patters for the aviable breeds, thus having more variety
     °all changes only in inventory screen, sadly making battlescape sprites is way above my current skills..... some day i hope.
   -Rebalanced first land drone loadout, also renamed to UCLV "DAGGER"
     *stripped the smoke launcher (way too weak for their breaching role ) , now uses a shotgun like weapon, with very small range, but decent damage output (stick boom turns sectoids into meat confetti)
    -UAV its renamed to "shuriken", got a new ufopedia description
    -UAV rocket launcher renamed to : UCAV 'Longbow', to avoid any confusion, also to maintain a continous nomenclature, they'll be named after historical weapons
      * updated the requirements to unlock, improved the stats and got a new ufopedia description, hopefully it got a better niche to shine on.    
   -NEW STARTING SHIP! called the DRAGONFLY thanks a lot to efrenspartano for his gorgeos spritework, increible compadre, te la rifaste!
    *based on the newest bell valor 280 from boeing:
     °capacity for only twelve soldiers
     °cant take any HWP TANKS, only dogs and small drones as auxiliary units.
    *Should be your mainstay unit for troop transporting
   -Old starting ship (the CUSTODIAN/dragonfly) was renamed into FIREFLY has became a new ship on their own:
     *its a crude step foward.
      °can haul 14 units, including heavy tanks
     °intended as a "spec ops" plane, with only a pair fielded and the rest of the work done by the dragonflies(valor 280)
     °slighty faster than before
     °more expensive all around
     °uses an improved battlescape map, courtesy of EFRENSPARTANO
   - Small Rebalance to EVERY COMBAT AND TRANSPORT PLANE (will be expanded further, for now the balance should improve some oversights)
   -Now tanks are finally done (sprites are placeholder, planing to use the coelacanth spritesheet, so threads are animated, the same with the turret)
      *first tier  requires allien alloys for their construction (so they are light enough to be airlifted on VTOL transports)   
     *tanks comes in two varieties for now and all use the same chassis (imported and repurporsed from XENONAUTS 1)
      °AP (an 20mm IFV) intended for infantry support, small smoke launcher as secondary weapon .
      °HE (classic 105mm MBT) intended for brawling aggainst heavier alien units. also with smoke launcher as backup
   -Improved sprites of tinyranks,Thanks to Filip H from the IDT group for the insights, now EVERY soldier types use a correct version:
     *Green backgrouds with yellow chevrons for basic infantry
     *Green and yellow bars for officers
    *Blue backgrouds with yellow bars for pilots
    *doggos has a yellow K over a red background
   -Updated some Text strings and ufopaedia entries (like a lot of entries, small WIP of filling the blanks, im open to any suggestion or correction , specially in grammar  (english is not my native language)
   -Updated pilot suit description
   -Figthers now follow a new name convention based on chess pieces:
    *basic f35 lore updated and renamed unto "bishop"
    *xcf1 renamed to "Knight", now requires a small amount of alien alloys to build
    *xcf2 Renamed to "Rook", balanced cost and materials for manufacture
    *xcf3 renamed to "empress" based on the queen piece (queen sounded kinda bland and unispired), balanced cost and manufacture requeriments
    * the ultimate ship renamed from archangel to OVERLORD based on the king piece(a more imposing and fitting name according to lore)
    *Ufopaedia updated to some extra articles missing (hacer el de perros, el de combined arms opperations)
     °on a related note OVERLORD ALIENS (the golden crystaline shards) are renamed to SOVEREIGN (firstly to avoid confusions of having same elements, secondly, cuz without making too much spoilers, it didnt make sense considering their position in the chain command)
    - Commendations mods, BY Shoes, Ivan Dogovich and hellrazor  its fully integrated:
    *Some descriptions, were added, expanded or modified (either for balance or to fit better in the mod.
    - Changed the starting date (again, this will be the last time i swear) to first monday of 2027, already planned some lore changes that'll be added progressively unto future patchs.
    -BugFixes:
    °Declustered and streamlined some folders and files(specially names), and to make finding stuff more easier. mostly for my sanity, also in case anyone wish to use resources from the mod, remember to give credits for other people work...in the veeeeeeeeeeeery few cases where the sprites or files are entirely being made by me (like dogs sprites for example), are free to use without any issues, dont worry
    °balanced X3 HEAVY PISTOL alloy ammunition: 50 > to 42 (it was hitting harder than a AM-Rifle )
    °Moved the craft craft tile were all inventory items formed a pile to a safer location across ALL ships this way you'll theorethically wont lose any item by a stray rocket/grenade/cyberdisc explosion (last row of the firefly for example)
     °Fixed doggos portraits (it correctly shows the face)
    °Fixed some missing pixels from white basic armor (small details on the neck, now it looks more natural)
    °Fixed some missing Ufopedia pictures:
     ~Pilot Flight Suit now correctly have a picture following the armors patterns
     ~Kevlar armor now uses new sprites (with the quadscoped Night Vision googles)
     ~Xops Armor Recieved same treatment
    °Updated congo flag now use the Official (since 2006) DRC
     °okay now for real,Fixed(?) tinyranks spritesheet, last patch i changed color combinations correctly to green, they used to be RED. If anyone preffers that version, i left both files on the folder, change the names and use as your preference.
    °corrected the army rank description : HIGHER RANK SHOULD BE a LT. COLONEL now (instead of simply a colonel, thats reserved for pilots ranks)

Installation:

**To properly run the mod, you'll need an OXCE installation (currently version 7.8.7 at the time of finishing this post).
** BRUTAL AI MOD by Xilmi is highly recommended, and at this point, I consider it a must-have. I encourage you to check it out.

- Download the file from the site XOPS LEGACY by Blackwolf in MOD.io Portal or the file attached (the difference in size is irrelevant, its the same , just that i found a way to better compress it and evade the size limitation in the forum)
- Unzip and Drop the content inside your MOD folder.
- When updating from previous versions of the mod, it's recommended to delete the old folder completely (rather than simply overwriting it) and use the newer version, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED (for hotfixes and patches).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:35:59 pm by blackwolf »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023, 12:28:35 pm »
Greetings! It has come to my knowledge that this mod has been revived and was hyped to play with it. It was great fun really just like how it was years ago, but I am rather unhappy that the units under player control "glows" during the night. If memory serves me correct, this causes enemies to see you from afar and makes it harder for night missions. Partnered with the brutal AI fork, this mod becomes next to impossible to finish during night missions. I would like to ask if those things will be addressed in the future? Cheers

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 09:13:40 pm »
Press "L" to turn off the lights. Like in base OXCE and every other mod.

Edit: not sure if you can cheat BrutalAI by toggling it on/off during same turn. Most likely, you can. But that behavior would be the same for any mod.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 09:18:22 pm by Scamps »

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2023, 08:27:58 pm »
Greetings! It has come to my knowledge that this mod has been revived and was hyped to play with it. It was great fun really just like how it was years ago, but I am rather unhappy that the units under player control "glows" during the night. If memory serves me correct, this causes enemies to see you from afar and makes it harder for night missions. Partnered with the brutal AI fork, this mod becomes next to impossible to finish during night missions. I would like to ask if those things will be addressed in the future? Cheers

Hi, first of all, thanks a lot for your words, appreciate it a lot.

Secodly, holy smokes, to be honest i always thought the lights stuff was visual only, i never expected to have some gameplay elements attached to it lmao . All my run test are made in difficulty 4 and using Brutal IA. Being absolute honest during all my night raids...i found out aliens became more dificult (in terms of tactics and deployment/displacement) rather than being able to shoot me from outside my FOV. Also dont know if this helps tho, but sometimes i switch off the personal lights of my units (i mapped it to the letter N) and activate the night vision mode (";" in my case), could you try to do this and confirm if there are some improvements?

Next version is mostly visual improvements (some races will have better sprites,death animations, sompe improvements to UI elements and ufopedia entries, etc) so i can guess is safe to commit to a longer campaing before i try to make bigger changes (like more interesting AIR COMBAT mechanics or adding new races,etc).

These two months have been increidibly busy for me IRL so i havent advanced at the rythm i wished for....in two weeks i should retake the pace tho

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2023, 05:59:09 pm »
Just picked this up. A few observations (early days).

- Are their UFOpedia pages for the Drones? I couldnt find them.
- The UFOpedia for the hangar doesnt mention that they can take 2 crafts. It still suggests they can take 1.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2023, 10:22:02 pm »
Found some missing labels and the game crashed. When I reloaded the save, the crash was not reproducible. I have attached the savegame just in case.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:39:02 pm by Cristao »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2023, 12:04:05 am »
First, Second crash occurred. Middle mouse button clicked on enemy (snakeman) to check weapon and boom - crash. Attached snip. I looked at the folder location and realised the file is 'snakeman.png' not 'snakeman.gif'

Corrected line 2172 in ExtraSprites, reorder and cleanup.rul to snakeman.png. That didnt work.

I instead pasted the snakeman.gif from Reaver's Harmony (see attached) and reverted filename. Bug fixed.

Secondly - there is no UFOpedia for Psionic Projector.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 12:27:29 am by Cristao »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2023, 09:57:33 pm »
Skyranger is referred to in the below research message. I havent reached far into the mod but I believe this may need updating to reflect the new name of the base troop transport.

EDIT: There is a bug with researching live aliens. They are not eliminated once researched. One can research the same alien multiple times. This occurs even when activating the option to kill them post research. I am having to consciously sell or kill them as I complete a research.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:00:51 pm by Cristao »