Author Topic: X-Chronicles Release, v.1.1  (Read 63436 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Chronicles Release, v.0.99.16
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2023, 11:00:26 am »
Thanks, i ill look at invisibility research.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2023, 08:03:18 pm »
After intense inner debate I decided to give this mod another chance. Oh, it is so good that I did that! After an intense and seemingly endless early game grind with “civilians” (this time I was morally prepared for it) something entertaining finally began to happen. The true “beginning” of this mod is when you acquire “strong artifact”. Before I share my impressions and everybody falls asleep, I want to report about multiple bugs.

Some articles in ufopedia are missing (texts in translation files are present): Nest study report #6, Stalker, Blood magic and Invader interrogation 2, which is especially disappointing, because this 1 of 2 indicators, that invaders know about aliens (the other is chronomancer legend).
I managed to get “Nest study report” even after killing the queen. After reading “Alien origins” I assumed that you need live queen.
No animation for dying Insectoid. My blood lust demands it!
When Wight dies it produces a stray pixel. Yes, I am very nerdy right now!
Machine guns of tanks eats ammo even if I don't shoot. I know that in X-Piratez there is no such problem, so it should be solvable, I guess.
Something is wrong with the intellect of many units. Often, when there is no trajectory (bows) or too far away (wands), enemy unit just stands still.
Staffs are 2 handed weapons, but red “2” is visible only in inventory screen. Also, it looks like mages don't know about that and often have knives in their second hand. This prevents them from shooting at me. But some mages actually are able to use staffs with one hand!
Ufopedia says that Fire Shields don't protect from smoke, but it does.
Ufopedia says that Dragonsnake has 80 Fire Shield, but in reality it has 180.
Something wrong is with the research of Spitter. When I researched Naked spitter, I got an article about Armored spitter. When I researched Armored spitter, I got an articles about Creeping spitter and  Naked spitter. Also the images in Ufopedia (and in battlesacape when middle clicked) of all 3 spitters are the same.
Araja produces footsteps sound while moving. How cute! Actually many units produces footstep sound while clearly shouldn't.
Frost geode does not extinguish flames on the floar. Does it suppose to work only on units?
And finally the most funny bug. Battle cocktail: “... Extremely unhealthy, those who uses it will suffer a -30 penalty to morale.” There is one caveat: you can't use it on yourself. And the one who is loosing morale is the “doctor”. A remorse, I guess...

If someone is still reading this, I want to talk about not necessarily bugs, but strange things.
“Rift Stabilization” article suggests using “the isolating equipment”. I guess article means gas mask, what else could it be? Well, nothing on the other side was toxic. Sometimes it was cold, once there were no air at all, but nothing that gas mask could solve. Also, none of enemies uses gas weapons (except gas balloons), only me! Why gas mask even exists in this mod?
There is no indication whether Flash grenade was effective or not. (X-COM files has.) This is one of the reason why  Flash grenade as almost unusable. Do they even works through shields?
Does Farsight chamber works as mana detector? Looks like no, but that should be noted in the article.
Lumen suppose to fly around and light up an area, bet it is subjected to the same “L” rule. So, if you want that Lumen to actually shine, all your soldiers have to shine as well, and that is not what you want at night!
Sometimes you can't see an alien in alien nests at all, despite standing right next to it. I figured out what is the problem. While you are standing on top of pipe-like terrain, your head is inside the ceiling, so you can't see anything (checked with F10). Is that an intended behavior?
Can you please explain the difference between QBL-06 ammo? I can't understand that.
Can you please explain how blocking with shield works?

And now, when nobody is still reading this, I want to talk about an overall experience. No, I haven't finish the game. It is the November 2022. Still waiting for an arrival of an Archmage. (15% per month... I hope I will not have to modify game files to proceeder.) Not seen any Temple ship yet. (Do I have to stop assaulting other landed ships?) But I managed to capture the Tentaculat. Initially failed to research the Savage Magic before goblin raids stopped occurring. It was literally the last thing I got from shaman. Never saw a goblin leader. Will he ever come? Luckily there was one goblin raid recently, so I got that  Savage Magic.
As I said earlier, the beginning was very tedious. Not so tedious as previously, because I already knew what was coming. But that also means, that transition between “civilian” soldiers to “supermen” psions was even more satidfying. Normally, if mod is good, I can't wait to play it again. This time I am actually horrified by the necessity to go through the early part of the game. But it could be even worse if there was no “shield left” indications. I actually wish such indications were in other mods with shields too. Normally I rarely use explosive weapons, but here they are very effective, somewhat different experience for me.
In the middle game it was somewhat unpleasant to constantly patrolling the globe with balloon in search for new nests. Sadly this process cannot be automated. Luckily I already build large detectors, so most of the globe is covered.
I often used a possible exploit to train mana. You just stand in smoke while wearing Psion suit. You don't even need to participate in battle. Is this an appreciated tactics?
Runes and most other amulets are so underwhelming! How many damage I must take to confirm that they are actually working as intended? Because if they are not, then I will probably will never notice it. Also their research is very time consuming and leads nowhere. I think runes should be reworked into something tangible.
Next problem is not unique to X-Chronicles, but here it is much more obvious. Most corpses/live animal researches gives nothing except flavor text. You need one corpse to unlock a containment, but what to do with the rest of them? Discard them just because you already saw their articles in the previous champaign? I strongly believe that player should not choose between lore and progression. And I have a solution! For each corpse/live specimen that does not unlock anything, besides what every  corpse/live specimens unlocks, there should be 2 research projects: lengthy project (100 scientist-hours) and quick project (10 scientist-hours), that have the “containment” prerequisite. Once you research your first corpse (lengthy project), quick projects for all other “lore” corpses unlocks and all lengthy projects are blocked. Now you don't need to spend tons of research for an essentially useless project. What do you think about this idea?

X-Chronicles is probably the only mod where “mana” is mana and not something else. X-Chronicles finally taught Celatid how to multiply. Ufopedia of the original game mentioned Celatid ability to clone, but Celatids were never able to do so. Until now.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2023, 01:18:22 pm »
Looks like I have a problem.
For testing purposes I tried to force the generation of the "Temple Mess" and the "Archmage Visit" so that they appear during next month.
I modified "executionOdds" to 100 of "templemess" and "archmagevisit".
"Archmage Visit" did appeared in the "alienMissions" section, but "Temple Mess" not.
I noticed that "templemess" has "conditionals: [-3]". My knowledge of game modding is limited, but, after reading docs, I assumed that mission with label 3 should not be generated in order to generate "templemess". The mission with label 3 is "templeraids", so I modified "executionOdds" of "templeraids" to 0.
Then I restarted the game, loaded save before month ended, waited until new month and checked generated missions: still no "Temple Mess", but STR_TEMPLES_RAID is somehow present despite I set "executionOdds" to 0!

Am I doing something wrong? Have anyone seen "Temple Mess" in the latest version (0.99.16)? I have a suspicion, that something is broken...

---UPDATE---

I figured out that STR_TEMPLES_RAID on the new month (with 0% chance) was the leftover from the still going mission from the previous month. So I deleted this mission form "previous month" save file. But I still can't see "Temple Mess" in the next month (diespite 100% chance)!

---ANOTHER UPDATE---

Oh! "Temple Mess" has "STR_RUNE_RULES" research prerequisite, which I can only get after conquering the mage tower! That is why mission didn't spawned.
Looks like everything is working fine. I hope I will have patience to wait for "Archmage Visit" with it's 15% chance per month.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 01:50:42 pm by Vakrug »

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2023, 04:56:03 pm »
I continued my playthrough, which began on older version of the mod (paused on 99.10 or about that).

What is the expected order to unlock major roadblocks? Mine was strong artifact (from rift) -> psi initiation (from grinding small Legion ships, mediums are above my ability). I have yet to get runes. If wizards are guys that pair with barons, then I only ever saw one a while back. Capturing him proved troublesome, and I just killed him. Don't remember encountering a runemage either.

In recent versions it seems that less ships enemy spawn (less grind, hooray!). Also crew seem more random, I got to see medieval guys a couple times again (without mages though), and somewhat less legion ships.

Now I got my first nest, and it doesn't seem plausble to clear it with terrestrial tech. Will try with my limited stash of wands. But the biggest problem seems to be the high morale hit, there are 4-5 turns before everyone starts panicking. Otherwise I could try grinding. (Yes, there are a couple unresearched amulets, which could possibly help with morale given their names, but still no way to replicate them). What is expected tech level to clear nests?

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2023, 09:20:38 pm »
Looks like you are on the right path. Strong artifact and few mages (rune or general) are required to get really started.
Clearing a nest with only one level is doable with psions armed with autocannons. (You have to search them with balloons before nests grows larger.) Aliens are scary, but not very resistant against explosions. The biggest threat will be Dragonsnakes that are hard to kill even with autocannons.

---UPDATE---

Cannot use "Blessing of the Sun". A Ritualist is holing it in hand, use costs 0 (instead of 85% TU), clicking that does nothing? Does this thing requires not releases version of OXCE?

---ANOTHER UPDATE---

Oh! Blessings can be activated using upper right button! Understood, but it would be nice to have that in description somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 11:39:28 pm by Vakrug »

Offline MobiusKlein

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2023, 05:15:05 am »
Thanks for the mod, it's been on my must play now for months.

My current frustration is that certain missions no longer show up, such as the Archmage castle in the clouds.
When it did show up, it was far too difficult to finish even with save scumming.
Now I get tons of swarm missions (up to Large size, and Old nests that are too hard for me), Legion missions, and just started getting Death Temple ones.

Never got missions for Legion Patrician, and no longer getting missions for Archmage things. 

I think my lesson is to never finish the research saying "Affects Game Progression" until I finish all the things from the current phase of the game

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2023, 11:00:18 am »
A question about a certain "commendation"
Spoiler:
I have "After the Limb" on all soldiers except ones recruited in later versions of the mod. Even on soldiers that never saw battle. Looking at translation files, is it supposed to be granted after a certain mission?
If it is a bug, I will remove it by editing savefle. Should help with nest morale problem somewhat )

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2023, 02:08:07 pm »
A question about a certain "commendation"
Looks like a bug. I must check it, thanks.

Offline MobiusKlein

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2023, 06:02:54 am »
While playing the mod, I have had no base defense missions.  Is that intentional?  There are base facilities around that, but never happens.  Maybe later in the game?

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2023, 04:10:15 pm »
Only temple factions can do base assaults, so you must annoy them enough by shooting down their ships.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2023, 11:09:20 am »
I played more and encounter more bugs:
No ufopedia articles for "Sign of Master" and "Death temple retaliation".
"Armor repair scroll" does not work (but also does not get consumed).
When I shot down the biggest temple ship and ground assaulted it there were no ship! Only light temple warriors randomly standing on the map. And I was hoping to get the "Inactive obelisk"...
Also, ufopedia page about stalkers did appeared. It looks like not every stalker reveals it.

Sadly I don't think I will finish my current campaign. I am morally exhausted for waiting for an unknown. Looks like I need the "Inactive obelisk" in order to progress. As far as I know, it can be found in archmage's castle or on temple ship. I had an "archmage visit" once, but found only "Active Obelisk" (if I recall correctly). I had "temple mess", but not found a ship at all. Both events are rare and who knows when they will appears. Please, reconsider that 15% chance! I think 33% would be fine.

Offline MobiusKlein

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2023, 08:22:43 pm »
I'm almost stuck in the same trap too Nord.
Saw two archmage visits when my tech was laughably low, and got slaughtered, even with max Save Scumming.
None since.   

Since the author suggests in this thread that folks should let certain alien flights go unharmed, to unlock important events, this advice should be codified in some in-game hint as well.  Or otherwise suggested when you research certain keystone topics.     I have researched all the Legion things except for Legion Patrician, which I am still waiting to see.   How do I get to see that?  Do I need to leave Invader Forts around for a month untouched?

Similar for Fire Temple missions, and Death missions.  Those research trees seem to have reached an impasse.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2023, 03:48:34 am »
Thanks, that is an important feedback. I shall fix these bugs ASAP.
Maybe this is bugs. I really should check.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2023, 10:46:59 am »
I have researched all the Legion things except for Legion Patrician, which I am still waiting to see. How do I get to see that?
I am not 100% sure, but by reading mod files this should be something like:
Get inactive obelisk from archmage or temple ship.
Use it to unlock mission with more advanced Dwarves.
Capture dwarf VIPs and learn how to open your own rifts. (Also learn how to finally beat the game.)
Open rift to patrician villa and make Legion patrician suffer for all the hassle you had to go through to get here!!!  >:(

Offline MobiusKlein

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2023, 04:48:59 am »
I guess I should have shot down the Huge temple ship, instead of waiting for it to land