aliens

Author Topic: [MAP PACK][STANDALONE] Xcom Base Facilities Visual Uplift  (Read 1437 times)

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
[MAP PACK][STANDALONE] Xcom Base Facilities Visual Uplift
« on: December 01, 2023, 07:57:24 am »
New update 1.3 uploaded now, confirmed 100% compatibility with FMP  (Jan-27th-2024)!
Check the bottom of this post for the file and the updated changelog

Xcom Base Facilities Visual Uplift:
Since the inception of my journey with OpenXcom and even XCOM itself in the past, I've never liked the appearance of XCOM facilities. To me, they seemed plain, dull-colored, almost like they were made with cardboard and plastic. I was determined to tackle that and create something perhaps better.
What's New?
A complete overhaul of Xcom base map blocks, utilizing terrain tiles and assets from TFTD to achieve a grittier and more militarish appearance. This standalone version is for those who want appearance improvements while retaining all the vanilla aspects of their game. If you are already using my XenoOperations LEGACY MOD you won't need this, as the work is already integrated there.

Installation and Updating
Theoretically Compatible with any version of OpenXcom (tested on nightlies and OXCE installations).
  • For safety, ensure you have the latest nightly; this version is no longer compatible with the 1.0 milestone.
  • Download the file from the site Xcom Base Uplifted the MOD.io Portal OR use the file attached at the bottom of this post.
  • Unzip and copy all files to your OpenXCom mods directory in your documents folder.
  • Activate the mod in the game's main menu.
  • Be sure to have it at the BOTTOM of your Mod List to ensure compatibility with other mods.
  • Enjoy!

Compatibility Information:
Newest patch (1.3) it's now 100% compatible with the FMP.

Caution is advised for users with other overhauls or mods that adds new base facilities for XCOM, as this might not be entirely compatible and could need some tweaks. For other modders, I've kept this as a separate mod to facilitate easier integration into your work. Replacing XBASE map blocks in your .rul Files might cause CTD or visual issues, so it's recommended to recreate your map blocks/buildings using my terrains pack. Feel free to PM me if you encounter any problems or need asistance.

Features
  • Overhauled appearance, making bases look like proper bunkers of reinforced concrete and metal.
  • Animated props and assets bring facilities to life.
  • Custom made new basebits, fitting the new artwork and layout. Thanks to Efrenspartano for his amazing work on this front.
  • Realistic and interesting layouts, including bathrooms, power grid rooms, local servers, offices, and a redesigned hangar with catwalks.
  • Certain facilities have "storage tiles" to prevent clutter.
  • Revamped the SCANG.dat file. Now, every tile shows the appropiated miniature when using the map view.
  • Generally, a more interesting and defensive layout.
Future Plans:
  • Improve all facilities' descriptions and ufopaedia lore/text.
  • Attempt to improve MCD files for better sequencing.
  • I̶m̶p̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶C̶A̶N̶G̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶r̶o̶p̶i̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶i̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶p̶ ̶v̶i̶e̶w̶.̶
  • Explore creating an alternate "expanded version" with buildings from other mods for better compatibility.

Usage of Graphics:
It would be appreciated if you credit me, but it's not mandatory. Modders are free to use this for whatever they wish.

Credits without any specific order:
  • OpenXcom an OXCE crew for keeping the game alive.
  • Warboy, robin, Tyran_nick, Dioxine, SolariusScorch.
  • EfrenSpartano for recoloring MCD and PCK from TFTD palette.
  • Dioxine for inspiration and template from improved base facilities.
  • Hobbes for assets from the Terrain Pack.
  • KevinL for his work in the MapView2 tool.
  • Ohartenstein23 for the alphaMapEditor build.
  • Volutar for the MCD editor.
  • Robin for some of his props from "from the Apocalypse" Mod.
  • Anyone else I may have borrowed tiles, sprites, and assets from to complete my terrain pack.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

Version 1.3:

-Additions:
- New and revamped SCANG.dat file, when you enter the mapview interface now there will be matching sprites with the newer artwork direction.
- In tandem with the change above, now all the "pips" representing units have been recoloured to match a more intuitive format:
  * Blue: alies units.
  * Red: Enemies units.
  * Yellow: Neutral (i.e civilians) units.
- Adjusted the intensity of some light sources, also some props produces light by themselves.
- Changed the textures and color of some props to improve the general appearance of them in relation to the artwork of the mod, special thanks to ROBIN for his work in From the apocalypse Mod, check it out, its really dope.
  * Tables now are metallic gray. (goodbye the blue plastic from the garden section in ikea) Thanks to ROBIN.
  * Cardboard targets inside the gym shoot alley got improvements. Thanks to ROBIN.
  * Gabinets/closets now look like personnel lockers, Thanks again to ROBIN an his mod.
  * Files drawers recolored to dark gray.
  * Small details added to fridges, so they dont blurry with the background so easily
  * Blue walls used in alien containment and psi labes were redone entirely
  * Blue chairs got recoloured to have khaki/coyote seats.
  * All the Floor tiles got revamped with small details of mud and erosion, thus obtaining a more RUGGED and rustic appearance, instead of the previous "glossy and polished marble-like" cement without any trace of imperfections.
- Rearanged and moved some maps to achieve a better overall look (will became obvious when the newer preview pictures are done)

Bugfixes:
- Solved some navigation issues in maps where some props impossibilited reaching certain places of the second floor.
- Solved some tiles using wrong "walk sound" effect ( expect metallic taps when walking above any such materials).
- Solved some buildings using wrong versions of props(i.e, the alien containment had the destroyed base ring instead of the light flickering version to name an example).
- Solved a missing file in the routes folders related to the Corridors, there was a XBASS_24.MAP instead of the correct .RMP version of it. if you had experimented some CTD in bases featuring such buildings, this might be the culprit.
- Myriad of small catches and fixes with some missplaced walls and props types.
  * For a more technical explanation, every part is defined as a PartType , having them defined incorrectly would present some minor Line of sights inconsistencies, "invisible walls" stoping normal navigation or some pops not showing correctly as they are tagged to be loaded at "the bottom" (closer to the floor) of the tile and such anything place "above" this took priority.

#####

Version 1.2:

Additions:

- Added new facilities to ensure compatibility with FMP:
  * Large living quarters (from "improved facilities mod" made by DIOXINE).
  * Large storage store (from "improved facilities mod" made by DIOXINE).
  * Corridor.
  * Gauss defence.

Facilities Updated:
- Slight corrections on some facilities:
  * Little change on some floor tiles on the small radar.
  * little changes on a "hide" floor tile in the laboratory to get better ilumination distribuition.
- General stores recieved a new area with fridges for food supplies ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

BugFixes:
- fixed some missing floortiles from the catwalks in the hangar second floor.
- fixed some missing west walls on the large living quarters.

#####

Version 1.1:

Additions:
- New a revamped BASEBITS to match the improved facilities, artwork made entirely by EfrenSpartano.
- Improved some MCD files with extra assets , correctly coloured to XCOM EU pallete.
- Retouched the Workshop facility:
  * Added an improved assembly table. 
  * Added an Robot arm assembler/welder from vainilla, recolored to maintain the general motif of the mod.
   ~ changed from intense pink to a more industrial orange.
- Reorganized the Fusion Ball Defence building:
  * Added some monitors intended "to fire control" them aside the cannon.   

BugFixes: 
- fixed some "invisible floor squares" on the second level of the corridors.
- fixed a problem with the hangar facilities, where both northeast and southeast blocks were loading the assets incorrectly.

#####

Version 1.0:

First release of the mod

- Remodeled entirely the base facilities

Feel free to reach out for any questions or issues. Any feedback will be appreciated. Enjoy the upgraded Xcom base experience!

These are a preview of some of the buildings:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 08:04:22 pm by blackwolf »

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
Re: [MAP PACK][STANDALONE] Xcom Base Facilities Visual Uplift
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 05:01:16 pm »
New update posted, this will be the last update until first week of january (or any hotfix its needed). Hopefully everything should work correctly and stand by its one.

Merry christmas everyone!

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 11:08:56 pm »
New update posted, this will be the last update until first week of january (or any hotfix its needed). Hopefully everything should work correctly and stand by its one.

Merry christmas everyone!

thanks, same applies to you!

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 08:03:53 pm »
Happy new year everyone, new update its live now, remember to check the changelog to check new the new, features, as always, its totally safe to update this on ongoing campaings, remember to follow instructions in the first post.

Offline KaMef

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 07:12:40 pm »
Hi,

I like your visual upgrade.
Hangar should be redesigned, large units can't enter/leave without connection from north.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 06:19:17 pm »
Hi,

I like your visual upgrade.
Hangar should be redesigned, large units can't enter/leave without connection from north.

Thanks for your feedback, noted, i'll take a look and see what i can do for the next patch.