Author Topic: X-Chronicles Release, v.1.1  (Read 63151 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Chronicles Release, v.0.99.17.1
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2024, 10:42:58 pm »
Just tried version 0.99.17.1 and get the following error message-see attached.

That's a recent change in OXCE.
https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/25e5545e59fc1ad7148c849e3052e8493c9fa10f

I will write a separate post about what it is and how to handle it.

We will also change it from an error to a warning (for a limited time) to give modders time to migrate.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2024, 12:01:26 am »
continuation of Meridian post:

To allow new version of OXCE handle this dummy rulesets, I added new node `ignore: NAME`. This inform engine that it should skip
this position. Name can be even `~` if you don't need any.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2024, 04:22:23 pm »
Hello,

I decided to give this a try.

It feels like many researches are taking way too long. In particular, interrogations of people and autopsies of humanoids and regular monsters (By which I mean such things as giant scorpions, werewolves, etc.) should probably not take hundred or more scientist-days.

Aditionally, it would be useful if Monster Hunt missions told you if the enemies were monsters or aliens prior to entering the mission, so that you could get the proper loadout. Something similar to the distinction between Raider terror and Savage terror.

At present, I have researched Invader Paths, and am waiting for a Rift mission. I do hope that Scavenger Armor (which I am on the path to researching) is a significant upgrade over Wooden Vest, though I guess I would settle for it being equal but cheaper.

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2024, 05:24:50 pm »
Thanks for feedback. I'll think about inerrogation cost.

Offline murkhach@centrum.cz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2024, 05:04:21 pm »
My thoughts about the game ...

FUNDING   
  - the budget is so tense , that during first year you can not afford any grow but forced facilities  (just shielded lab, prison , ..
      Scientist cost fortune ( hiring and salary)  - and the lots of projects (autopsies &  most invader weapons) take huge effort and no benefit.
  - good mission score  gain extra bonus that is  great     
  - there is almost nothing to sold  for reasonable money in the begin  and  I was stuck until  I got some mysterious devices 6Mil each ..
    (may be magic stuff and amulets can be sold for double amount to be much fair)

RESEARCH
   - I suggest to cut down time of simple weapons or autopsy reports with no further dependencies
   - researching some fast aliens could unlock FOAM-GRENADES (reduce TU)

WEAPONS  & GEAR
    - bows are during low throwing stats  hardly used
    - sniper and heavy guns helps a  lot and are essential
    - shields and amulets are awesome

MISSIONS
  - some maps are too COMPLEX (shopping center) and very often clogged with objects 
  - CIVILIANS in every mission  does not have  reason  (it is hard to save them and  can dramatically cut down the score )
  -  lack of variety in ranks (Id prefer if there will be  a strong boss monster and  several weak ones rather than  many same)
  - pirate ships are great

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2024, 04:24:30 pm »
I am quite unhappy about exponential Celatids.

If you can't get the first Celatid before it triples itself, they will just keep multiplying faster than you can possibly kill them off. At least in early game.

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2024, 02:37:32 am »
...If you can't get the first Celatid before it triples itself, they will just keep multiplying faster than you can possibly kill them off. At least in early game.
If you meet celatids in early game, RUN. :)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2024, 05:02:40 pm »
I did run. But now that I have the Light X-Arms, I can wreck them at range. The most dangerous foe I destroyed so far was a blue floaty crystal that had brown shields and shot out lightning and spikes. Had to go melee on that thing with Runed Bone Knives, after I depleted most of the shield with various guns. Still, a guy was vaporized.

My current concern is that my research is too slow. I have 30 scientists working all the time, but I just can't keep up with all the researches popping up and the captures. I also can't afford additional lab and scientists.

Edit:
A possible bug. I can't field X-Sniper Rifle in near a "landed UFO". It's the one whose landed sprite is a purple elipse. I can use any of my other weapons, but not X-Sniper Rifle.

Edit 2: I have just discovered that the "Hint: Enemy Bases" is false. Enemy bases (Nests) can be detected by patrolling planes in a few hours. A Skyranger over England discovered a Young Nest in Scotland, Adult Nest in Portugal and Old Nest in Finland. Also a Space Rupture in England.

I guess I have to start the game from beginning, now that I know I can scan for hostile bases and destroy them before they become too powerful.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 06:39:35 pm by Mathel »

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2024, 11:00:09 pm »
A possible bug. I can't field X-Sniper Rifle in near a "landed UFO". It's the one whose landed sprite is a purple elipse. I can use any of my other weapons, but not X-Sniper Rifle.
Can't reproduce. Maybe savefile/screenshot?
.. Enemy bases (Nests) can be detected by patrolling planes in a few hours. ..
Actually, this is a bug. Will fix it, thanks.

Offline murkhach@centrum.cz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Suggestion for misison rewards
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2024, 01:49:09 pm »
In my opinion the Monster haunting and  Swarm-UFO are less attractive than  the other ones.

I suggest to add extra reward for mission completion
   monster haunt - several damaged artifacts (the monsters were controlled by this - bat lately when artifact broke they become wild)   
   dead rise          - few mana crystals  (they powered  the undead)
   Swarm - UFO    - something like seeds of plants (if they land the purpose is to build nest and grow  the plants there)

Other ideas
    Chitin shield  -  better for deflecting physical attack (can be broken)
    Buglings        -  add  some bigger  beetle (like swarm brute ) for later waves .

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2024, 05:09:44 pm »
Can't reproduce. Maybe savefile/screenshot?
Sadly, I did not make a screenshot and overwrote my savefile. From later playing, I now know it was a UFO that pretended to be a Space Rupture. It had the same sprite, similarly chaotic terrain, same enemies, and in Space Rupture, you also can't use X-Sniper Rifle (Which can be checked from custom battle).
But it was detected as landed UFO and disappeared when I fled from the mission.

Actually, this is a bug. Will fix it, thanks.
Well, I'd like to still have some way to detect nests. The hardcoded 20% for exactly one undiscovered base is clearly too low, seeing as the aliens managed to get 3 Nests in just my area without me detecting a single one.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 05:11:20 pm by Mathel »

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2024, 09:11:53 pm »
Well, I'd like to still have some way to detect nests. ..
You need more research. :)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2024, 03:58:21 pm »
You need more research. :)
For which I need a Strong Artifact. For which I need to sort a Nest's 'plants'. For which I need to destroy a Nest. For which I need to detect a Nest I can defeat, which probably means a Young one.

Researching any magic you can do is gated beyond detecting a Nest and defeating it (possibly more, if you roll poorly on the Sorting of Nest's 'Plants'), or killing a vast number of Invader Rulers.

And the longer Nests exist without being detected, the higher the chance that even if I detect one, it will be an Old Nest, which I probably can't defeat without magic of my own.
As I said, 3 nests spawned just in Europe, and I didn't randomly detect a single of them. Who knows how many had spawned in other parts of the world?

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2024, 11:30:58 pm »
Valuable source of artifacts in early game is Rifts. They are relative easy and spawn regularly.

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Chronicles Release, v.1.0
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2024, 12:30:18 am »
Version 1.0 is up.
Changelog:
- Added new race: elves, with their own items and missions.
- More QOL ufopedia articles;
- Bugfixing and balancing;
- Mod is finally complete, maybe will be some bugfixes if needed.