aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3735501 times)

niculinux

Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99I1 - 26 Dec - Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #5400 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:52 pm »
Hey forgot to tell: i realli like that laslock pistol introduced in 0.99I1; seems kinda a  low-tech laser weapon; how about to replace that laslock shotgun with a laslock rifle/musket? There are already a ton of shotguns in the mod; plus a rifle-style "primitive" laser weapon wold make more sense, may ve a bit more powerful and with some more range ☺☺

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: March 15, 2018, 11:41:36 pm »
There is the hunting laser.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: March 16, 2018, 09:00:31 am »
Don't expect selfmade laser weaponry to be useful/powerful. Laslock-pistol and -shotgun only benefits users with a high enough rank (mistress/baroness/pirate queen)
Hunting Laser is strong but very slow to fire. If you have the tools and money you should go for eurosyndicate deal I+II for very expensive/strong laser weapons.
Those lasers are better in almost all aspects to the stellar empire counterparts. The cheap and less infamy-raping solution lies in the token tree to get M-Lasers.
Those lasers of the mutant alliance are strong but inferior to those of the stellar empire yet stronger than selfmade junk.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: March 16, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »
Don't expect selfmade laser weaponry to be useful/powerful.

How about the humble MP lascannon?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: March 16, 2018, 02:36:35 pm »
The MP Lascannon and the Custom Lasgun are the stellar empire versions buffed with superior technological knowledge.
Mp Lascannon is pretty much the super-heavy laser and best used as a 1-shot per turn tankbuster.
The kustom lasgun is your to-go 0-G space mission lasergun and overall jack of all trades rifle. I don't treat these as selfmade since they look like stellar empire lasers.

Stuff like the Laser Tommy and Hydra Laser is 'selfmade' since it looks totally different compared to empire technology.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: March 16, 2018, 04:33:30 pm »
The hunting laser isn’t terrible and you got to develop it in order to unlock more advanced laser weapons. It’s worth making one or two for your snipers if you get it early. Laser tommy is trash. Hydra laser looks decent on paper but in my experience tends to underperform.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: March 16, 2018, 04:57:29 pm »
Hey forgot to tell: i realli like that laslock pistol introduced in 0.99I1
Dunno where you're coming from but the Laslock Pistol has been there forever, like since G or E edition. The laslock was probably inspired by Firefly and the background image for WorldLore/America entry.

I agree there should be a Basement Tier laser rifle, some thin stick sorta thing that probably uses Nerf Laspistol clips. Remember in space Its Nerf Or Nothing! By basic laser rifle niculinux was probably indicating a 2 handed laser weapon that can be bought early like the laslocks, 1x3 in size, with good range unlike the shotgun.
(Mental image I get is the Laser Rifle or Sniper Rifle from fallout 1 and 2 would look perfect for this, complete with hazard stripes and its another fallout gun to spoof... NerfLas clips make it a more expensive, effective version of the varmint rifle)

Laser Tommy is okay for non-primary bases. Like the hydra laser its a close range burst weapon. I've felled Osirons with the tommy laser (it takes 4 hits or so, but you get 5).

Hunting Laser is trash because it doesn't get access to ADV clips, also making their own laser you'd think they would provide it with a mag slot to insert a lasrifle clip too (its a battery, it has voltage, amps, hertz...). Only thing it does better than a normal sniper rifle is easier handling and its kinder to non-proficient shooters... But a proficient shooter can use a sniper rifle anyway, and even without PS ammo I frequently lay low Marsec. Also that bad snap speed means this is an open warfare weapon, charging into buildings with the hunting laser is a no-go. Necessary to design, but not all that useful (is an okay space weapon I guess).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:02:23 pm by RSSwizard »

niculinux

« Reply #5407 on: March 16, 2018, 06:22:58 pm »
Dunno where you're coming from but the Laslock Pistol has been there forever, like since G or E edition. The laslock was probably inspired by Firefly and the background image for WorldLore/America entry.

I agree there should be a Basement Tier laser rifle, some thin stick sorta thing that probably uses Nerf Laspistol clips. Remember in space Its Nerf Or Nothing! By basic laser rifle niculinux was probably indicating a 2 handed laser weapon that can be bought early like the laslocks, 1x3 in size, with good range unlike the shotgun.
[...]
Oh did not know it was an early addiction, mudt have overlooked it...and sorry for the typos! As for the weapin yes, some sorta! Sprite may be made by modyfing the pustol, adding a gunbutt and a longer barrel :D should not be very time consuming, for those have time to make it :)

May share same ammo and the pistol, and both should not have autofire because yhe description may tell it tends to overheat. Clips might have more exotic namu such as "laslock battery" or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:30:38 pm by niculinux »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: March 16, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »
Oh did not know it was an early addiction, mudt have overlooked it...
Its clear that you're on a phone, if you can take a tiny bit of care to correct errors, I do when im on the phone. I have no issue with it, but some funny stuff like "addiction" gets inserted. Not sure about you but the Laslock Pistol has never been an addiction for me. If it did 40 base damage plus its bonus on top of that, might be worth even buying.

I would not base anything off of the laslock's, personally. The only step up for that would be a laslock cannon that looked like the assault cannon, and each cannonball was actually a one shot laser module. While quirky, I dont think the game needs that.

I could cook up a Fallout 1 Laser Rifle to act as this addition but that would be slightly involved and I dont wanna expend the effort without it getting put in. Also the reason I picked the Nerf Laspistol clips for it is they only have capacity 8 and the damage is meager, and they are available early on too... pretty much a varmint rifle with armor penetration, a feat you pay for by literally throwing money at.

(price 48,000 and weight 12, ammo= nerf laspisol clip, aimed 130%/80%TU, snap 85%/40%TU, two-handed-blocking rifle 1x3 size, made available for purchase through "contacts: authorized dealers")

niculinux

« Reply #5409 on: March 16, 2018, 10:06:03 pm »
@RSSWizard sorry again; sometimes tend to overlook the emendations too!

I agree on the rifle; only i'd take out the scope and decrease accuracy. Thank for your kindness! Better read what would Dioxine think about a new addiction; otherwise IF you want might post the sprite in the "resource" forums. Thanks again and have a great night!

Edit: might become avaiable once the research topic "contract:smugglers" is accomplished alongside the laslock pistol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:07:48 pm by niculinux »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: March 17, 2018, 01:52:18 am »
Thank for your kindness! Better read what would Dioxine think about a new addiction
I'm not so sure I'd call it an Addiction per-se.
I could make a mod for it like I wanna do for a miniaturized ASMG that can be taken on infiltration missions (which only makes sense, but needs to be locked behind a tech that doesn't make it overpowered, I'll figure something out). Though the thing is for space missions you already have laser guns by that point, you just use what you've captured however limited that stock might be. I think I'd leave the scope on it too just like the varmint rifle because the Nerf laspistool costs a lot of doleros and anyone wanting the rifle (story wise)is going to be obscenely rich and want a range toy that bulls-eyes paper at any range. Sorta reminds me of folks like in the movie Rollerball, some chick was blasting away in the yard with a laser pistol at a party.

Tons of TUs and blocking both hands are the counterbalance. (Even tho you'd have a few lasguns and laspistols, maybe iGuns by then, it is a comforting thought that you can get your own stuff)

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99I1 - 26 Dec - Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #5411 on: March 17, 2018, 10:57:36 am »
Hello all !

I got this working on my win 2K, but the memory usage is just mad. Several GB, too much for my system.
I guess this is coming from all those Ufopedia image surfaces. I had a similar problem with one of my own projects. I decided to keep track of the number of surfaces/video objects loaded, say max of 50, and only load them if they are about to be displayed.
If that number is reached, all surfaces are released before the new one is loaded.
If I am right about the ufopedia surfaces to be the cause, I guess the memory use would go down to around 300 to 500 MB.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5412 on: March 17, 2018, 12:21:46 pm »
Hello all !

I got this working on my win 2K, but the memory usage is just mad. Several GB, too much for my system.
I guess this is coming from all those Ufopedia image surfaces. I had a similar problem with one of my own projects. I decided to keep track of the number of surfaces/video objects loaded, say max of 50, and only load them if they are about to be displayed.
If that number is reached, all surfaces are released before the new one is loaded.
If I am right about the ufopedia surfaces to be the cause, I guess the memory use would go down to around 300 to 500 MB.

Hi Callahan!
It's not just Ufopaedia; the game simply works all graphic resources to RAM upon startup. Ufopaedia is a small percentage of that, compared to all the sprites, paperdolls etc. Therefore Piratez requires at least 3 GB RAM to play, because it's so huge.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #5413 on: March 17, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »
That would explain why I spend up to about 2 or 3 minutes getting it to load in the first place. When I first started I'd even thought it might have been a damaged install until I just let it go.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5414 on: March 17, 2018, 03:08:53 pm »
That would explain why I spend up to about 2 or 3 minutes getting it to load in the first place. When I first started I'd even thought it might have been a damaged install until I just let it go.

Everything started loading much, much faster after my antivirus expired. :P