Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3689358 times)

niculinux

Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99I1 - 26 Dec - Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #5430 on: March 18, 2018, 06:30:54 pm »
Hello there! Meanwhile we all wainting new version, here's a couple f quickfixes for 0.99I1 and a "bonus"..

1) the fixes regarding the Rangefinder clipsize-1 problem provided by RSSWizzard and the STR_ACADEMY_HIERARCHY bug that prevent provosts being interrogted and access to stellar laser weapons. both are in the attached piratez.rul modifyed!

2) the "bouns" is a modified version of 3.10a of OXCE+ made by Meridian himself! Using that build no i loner experienced same crash that occurred in openxcomfiles 0.8.6

But a mojor bug is unfixed, the one concerning Contracts: Reticulans research with Sectoid and Sirens involved

Enjoy  :)

Edit: link for the Reticulans bug replaced by proper one. With that build also seems game at sartup loads more faster, even with "play intro: on" option, but still game tends to crash unforesightbly (segmentation fault) the MMB look-at-enemy thing is still broken, wait the next OXCE+ version to be fixed  :)

In the end, i definitely think that everything some advanced items not avaiable at black market from beginning (tac vest, boarding gin and some more) should removed from bootypedia too   :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:05:36 pm by niculinux »

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99I1 - 26 Dec - Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #5431 on: March 19, 2018, 11:14:29 am »
I detected that the reaction system is inconsistent with the original x-com 1 & 2.
Now I would actually want to try to take a look at the source code of this extended exe used for the pirate mod.
What language is the code written in and where can I download a compilable complete source of it?
What compiler would I need to create this in 32 bit windows version. I doubt my venerable C++ 6.0 will do.
Ah, and the compiler must run under Win 2000. Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I'm out of the topic of programming for some decades now.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: March 19, 2018, 06:32:47 pm »
I detected that the reaction system is inconsistent with the original x-com 1 & 2.
Now I would actually want to try to take a look at the source code of this extended exe used for the pirate mod.
What language is the code written in and where can I download a compilable complete source of it?
What compiler would I need to create this in 32 bit windows version. I doubt my venerable C++ 6.0 will do.
Ah, and the compiler must run under Win 2000. Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I'm out of the topic of programming for some decades now.

This is the github page: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/tree/oxce3.5-plus-proto

This is the forum page for OXCE+: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html

Don't know what compiler could work. Ask Meridian. Neither do I have Idea of compilers on windows 2000.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:37:06 pm by ajnunezr »

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: March 19, 2018, 07:24:16 pm »
Thanks for the link to the source. One step ahead.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: March 19, 2018, 08:01:41 pm »
Edit:
Here is the modified music package, which also includes some fallout musics for battlescape. It only weighs in at about 21Mb. Instructions are included.
https://mega.nz/#!iogH1AKb!09I1SbCp_Jl8u8ZwCmiAXEVLqAdtKUzRTPBvpuKcvvI

Actually dont use this, while the music plays just fine in winamp somehow the game doesnt interpret it correctly and many of them are corrupt or play at the wrong rate.
(does openxcom support 16Khz sounds and music?)

Offline sleekie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: March 19, 2018, 11:26:01 pm »
My toaster has 1GB of memory. While it takes god-damn ages to load, like the thick end of ten minutes, it does run the game fine (although tabbing back in makes things chug again for 2 minutes). The excess just seems to get hauled over into pagefile, judging by the industrious amount of HDD usage.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: March 20, 2018, 12:15:54 am »
Actually dont use this, while the music plays just fine in winamp somehow the game doesnt interpret it correctly and many of them are corrupt or play at the wrong rate.
(does openxcom support 16Khz sounds and music?)
I'm pretty sure it's either 22050 Hz or 44100 Hz and strictly 16-bit or enjoy having those things played back at those frequencies with no resampling.

My toaster has 1GB of memory. While it takes god-damn ages to load, like the thick end of ten minutes, it does run the game fine (although tabbing back in makes things chug again for 2 minutes). The excess just seems to get hauled over into pagefile, judging by the industrious amount of HDD usage.
That is the purpose of a pagefile, after all - to be "virtual" memory.

Offline sleekie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: March 20, 2018, 12:22:22 am »
That is the purpose of a pagefile, after all - to be "virtual" memory.

Well yeah. I'm just wondering why the standard solution isn't working for other players.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:10 am »

It may be easier to just describe what you think is different and let us confirm/disprove...

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: March 20, 2018, 10:25:17 am »
Maybe it could be changed to trigger more reaction-chance with the target getting closer to yourself while remaining in sight.
Kinda like 'instant' reactionshot if it bumps into your vision 2 tiles away from you. Sorta like 'jump-scared' to reflect a panic-reaction. Could be done with acc-penalty if too reliable.

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: March 20, 2018, 10:59:07 am »
It may be easier to just describe what you think is different and let us confirm/disprove...

Well, for years I do only use reaction fire and grenades in all 3 X-Com games (I even fixed Xcom Apoc in ASM to get rid of a bug cutting down the TUs), but when I now tried to play this in open xcom, I saw there must be kinda "bonus" if the actor has LOS to the spotter.
In xcom 1, it someties seemed my guys did fire on spotted enemies even before they took any action.
They probably turned or did something else other than fireing/moving to trigger this.

In open xcom/extended, however, I often see enemy units like reapers to step out of a door with, probably, the last few TUs, as it stops then. And no one of my elite is making a shot although all have full TUs left.
Countless other occasions show enemies step out of UFO and shoot (or move one more tile) before my guys get to react.
If, however, my guys are aside the door where the actor has no LOS to them, my guys fire away like hell directly on sighting.
So I conclude the very first instance of reaction is denied if the actor has LOS to the spotter.
This is quite new behaviour to me.

I did not go into detail before because I am probably the only one playing this way, so this would be of no interest to anyone else.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: March 20, 2018, 11:09:58 am »
That sounds like mutual surprise, where no reaction happens when two units spot each other at the same time.  It's not new, vanilla Xcom had that too.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:41 am »
It IS mutual surprise rule. If both units see each other, those who have the turn get to act first.
This is even more drastic: If a soldier steps out the ufo and gains vision even on 1 out of 10 shooters, the enemy will act first!
To prevent this, make absolutely clear your soldiers sit in a blind angle the enemy can't see in his cone-like vision.
It can still fail if your rookies have poor reactions and/or the enemy leaving the craft has alot of TUs in reserve.

X-Piratez reaction-check feels superior and alot more reliable than vanilla even with hands sporting barely 50-60 reactions.

Offline Callahan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: March 20, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »
It IS mutual surprise rule. If both units see each other, those who have the turn get to act first.
This is even more drastic: If a soldier steps out the ufo and gains vision even on 1 out of 10 shooters, the enemy will act first!
To prevent this, make absolutely clear your soldiers sit in a blind angle the enemy can't see in his cone-like vision.
It can still fail if your rookies have poor reactions and/or the enemy leaving the craft has alot of TUs in reserve.

Negative, not that way in vanilla. Just tested with old DOS xcom 1, just to be sure. Soldier with reaction 100+ directly at UFO door so aliens cannot step out. Alien opens door and gets shot to pieces by 1 to X shots every single time. Does not matter that alien can see my soldier. TU/Reaction is the only thing that matters, at least for aliens. It may be otherwise if the player moves.
If I do that same experiment in open xcom, I get shot to bits every single time.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: March 20, 2018, 04:05:03 pm »
In that case I prefer to have the x-pirateZ version. Reaction-triggering must work different in dos-vanilla.