aliens

Author Topic: How to run Mod on 2019 OpenXCom build?  (Read 11575 times)

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
How to run Mod on 2019 OpenXCom build?
« on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:00 pm »
I have no prior experience with OpenXCom mods, and am running on 1.0 git 2019-04-28 build. This was my first attempt at running a mod, and it does not seem to work.

I have followed the YouTube tutorial as close as possible, but did not get the result. I have OXCE installed. What should I do to make it work?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: How to run Mod on 2019 OpenXCom build?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:29:05 pm »
You said you were using 1.0, but also that you were using OXCE. Which one is it?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 08:31:06 pm »
1) For the newest X-COM files you need newest OpenXCOM Extended. https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html
Download and install.
2) Then download newset X-COM Files from here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4595.0.html
3) Unpack the downloaded mod. Inside, you will find its "self-contained", all you have to do is to then copy UFO folder that contains files from original XCOM to the same folder you find in there.
4) After launch, click the "mods" and, pick "X-COM FILES", then enable it. The game will restart. Be sure to have English (US) set as game language.

However, since its your first mod experience, I don't recommend starting with X-COM FILES, because the beginning of the game is heavily modified and you might get lost. For that case I suggest "The Final Modpack": https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2027.0
This mod is more of an extention to the game, than total conversion and this will let you easly and naturally grasp new concepts and mechanics.
However this mod requires nightly build version 2018-04-28 or later and that you can download from here: https://openxcom.org/downloads-milestones/

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 10:35:11 pm »
You said you were using 1.0, but also that you were using OXCE. Which one is it?

Well, I did download OXCE, but the download stated it was more of just a expansion to the original OpenXCom.

1) For the newest X-COM files you need newest OpenXCOM Extended. https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html
Download and install.
2) Then download newset X-COM Files from here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4595.0.html
3) Unpack the downloaded mod. Inside, you will find its "self-contained", all you have to do is to then copy UFO folder that contains files from original XCOM to the same folder you find in there.
4) After launch, click the "mods" and, pick "X-COM FILES", then enable it. The game will restart. Be sure to have English (US) set as game language.

That's what I did, and it didn't work. Which files from the UFO folder will I need, and in which folders?

However, since its your first mod experience, I don't recommend starting with X-COM FILES, because the beginning of the game is heavily modified and you might get lost. For that case I suggest "The Final Modpack": https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2027.0
This mod is more of an extention to the game, than total conversion and this will let you easly and naturally grasp new concepts and mechanics.

Well then, I'll give that a go first. But I want to make sure both will work beforehand.

However this mod requires nightly build version 2018-04-28 or later and that you can download from here: https://openxcom.org/downloads-milestones/

I still don't fully understand nightlies. How is it different than my standard package?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:42:03 pm »
Well, I did download OXCE, but the download stated it was more of just a expansion to the original OpenXCom.

No, OXCE install instructions explicitly say that it's a separate build and doesn't require OXC at all.

That's what I did, and it didn't work. Which files from the UFO folder will I need, and in which folders?

There's an empty UFO folder in your OXC or OXCE install, so drop the contents of the UFO there (GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, UNITS etc.).

I still don't fully understand nightlies. How is it different than my standard package?

If you're using OXCE, then you don't need to think about the nightlies.

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 10:58:59 pm »
No, OXCE install instructions explicitly say that it's a separate build and doesn't require OXC at all.

There's an empty UFO folder in your OXC or OXCE install, so drop the contents of the UFO there (GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, UNITS etc.).

If you're using OXCE, then you don't need to think about the nightlies.
Just tried it. It didn't work at all.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 12:05:31 am »
How it doesn't work? What happens? What are you doing?

Literally, download OXCE, install it, download X-COM FILES, unpack it, copy and paste all files from UFO folder (first screenshot) containing original game into UFO in the X-COM FILES (second screenshot, its from X-Piratez, but the rule and files are the same), then run the game, then click "mods" tab in the game, select X-COM FILES, game will restart, you can play.

Are you sure you are using correct version for windows (x64 vs x84), or is it even windows? Maybe you try to run it on mac, or something like that?

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 12:15:53 am »
I have downloaded OXCE, but when I tried to to run, it didn't open properly, and stated I had no X-COM files.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 09:14:29 am »
Without screenshoots and more "indepth" sequence of your actions, all I can propose now is to unistall everything OXCE and mod related, then download everything again, just to repeat the steps. It might be that something wasn't downloaded, or installed properly.

Does OXCE even runs and plays normally without any mods for you?
Try to describe the process of what you are doing by your own words, screenshoots much appriciated of each step.

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 02:07:56 pm »
Without screenshoots and more "indepth" sequence of your actions, all I can propose now is to unistall everything OXCE and mod related, then download everything again, just to repeat the steps. It might be that something wasn't downloaded, or installed properly.
I'll try that.

Does OXCE even runs and plays normally without any mods for you?
Try to describe the process of what you are doing by your own words, screenshoots much appriciated of each step.
I simply attempted to run the program, in the folder it had been downloaded into.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 02:59:12 pm »
I simply attempted to run the program, in the folder it had been downloaded into.

People have already told you several times, including screenshots, that you need to copy the original UFO files.
Follow the instructions and don't play stupid.

You have already had the same issue here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7460.msg121252.html#msg121252
Do the same thing as you did there, just for UFO folder, not TFTD.

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 08:56:30 pm »
People have already told you several times, including screenshots, that you need to copy the original UFO files.
Follow the instructions and don't play stupid.

You have already had the same issue here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7460.msg121252.html#msg121252
Do the same thing as you did there, just for UFO folder, not TFTD.
That wasn't the issue. Apparently, I had installed it into one of my OpenXCom folders, and they were overlapping each other in some manner. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled OXCE in a different place, and now it works.

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »
That wasn't the issue. Apparently, I had installed it into one of my OpenXCom folders, and they were overlapping each other in some manner. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled OXCE in a different place, and now it works.
Hold on, I don't think I was specific enough. The OXCE build is working, but I cannot find the mods, and installing them into "UFO/common" did not help.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 09:10:25 pm »
They should go in your user/mods directory. (User is the one where saves are kept.)

Offline Red Floater

• Sergeant
  • Cheers, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 09:18:09 pm »
They should go in your user/mods directory. (User is the one where saves are kept.)
Where is that? I've looked around and I can't find it.