Author Topic: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish  (Read 211809 times)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish
« Reply #900 on: October 14, 2020, 03:49:21 pm »
The team.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 14, 2020, 04:42:33 pm »
Turns 1-2.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 14, 2020, 05:33:06 pm »
Turns 3-4, 5-6
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:01:23 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 14, 2020, 06:35:48 pm »
Turn 7- till the end. A little montage.

The cult of the Apocalypse guys are nice and don't have that sniper-spotter nonsense. Bigger guns, but actually easier, at least on this level and slightly above it.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:21 pm »
Outcome.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 15, 2020, 11:49:29 am »
Now some random musings interlude.

1. The research. I am a bit of a completeist, so I have a part of the science team studying all the trivia things like dossiers (even after I get all important stuff from that guy), guns, acquisitions and the autopsies. It would be more efficient to have the core of the science team to study one hard thing to completion then, but right now I have them divided between the Science Laboratory and the Workshopable stuff.

This is because I will not have enough money for the lab until next month I believe, and all the workshopable stuff isn't useful until I have the workshop (~14 days) and extra Living Quarters ready (less days than the workshop).

2. BlackOps stuff. After finishing the above research I should switch to the BlackOps stuff for the Spypistol and the Auto Sniper rifle and other fun stuff.

3. Bases. My initial idea was to build the first two bases at the North and South pole giving me 100% coverage of the globe with the Helicopter or Dragonfly. Then I realized that the next real transport has less range so I moved the North Pole base a bit souther with the idea of having the second base in South Africa and having Osprey range all the world except Australia and some other wierd corners. Now I think I should have the 2nd and 3rd bases in South America and in New Guinea (big island north of Australia) to give me complete coverage of the land.

4. Dragonfly. I think I might completely skip it. Compared with the Helicopter it gives 2 extra soldiers, at the price of having a ramp (harder exit and rearming when needed) and awkward lighting at night, that doesn't cover the ramp but is still a bit of trouble to go through. Two flashlights on the Helicopter pretty much do the same at the price of 4-5 TUs for turning off and dropping them. It isn't unworkable of course and I might end up using it, if I still haven't gotten all the {Insert Cult name here} Operations by the time I research UAC. I have used it before, so it isn't unworkable.

Any ideas? Comments?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:02:47 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 15, 2020, 12:41:26 pm »
Next mission is the First Strange Creature in the US deserts.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 16, 2020, 10:58:53 pm »
Turn 1. Aaaand we are gone.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 16, 2020, 11:00:40 pm »
Outcome.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 16, 2020, 11:02:54 pm »
Suicide mission got cancelled.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: October 16, 2020, 11:26:58 pm »
Chapter 11. Terminator 1. The rise of the Scout Drones. Cancelled.

Some research and cheating moment number 2. Due to some changes in the way AI is researched I will remove these researches and do them again. Basicaly from now on we are not going to buy the "Basic AI Unit" from the market and instead we are just making them from rare resources.

The cheating moment is that I removed Sentient algorithms and the Kiryu-kai research topics, because of changes to the way HWP AI units work now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:30:09 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #911 on: October 17, 2020, 02:17:40 am »
You know, this Standard Lab requirement doesn't make much sense. I'll remove it.

Offline blackadder

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: October 18, 2020, 07:15:25 pm »
> Any ideas? Comments?

1. I almost always have a few individual scientists researching the cheap stuff, "useful" first but then anything.  Each completed research gives score points, and it never hurts to get a few more especially early on ("compound interest") or to boost up a mediocre month.   And it gets that stuff out of the list so it's less likely I miss something important.

3. Bases - yeah, I always faff around where to put them.  North pole/south pole is tempting but then that's max travel time to the most populated/high funding areas.   This run I put the 1st 3 bases kind of not too far from the equator (Balkans, Central America, South East Asia) with the idea the next 2 will be north pole/south pole for more radar coverage/interception/manufacturing - seems OK so far.

4.  I reallly like the Dragonfly over the Helicopter, 33% more guys gives more options and makes it less painful to work in a trainee or 2, or scouts, or weapon diversity.   The ramp can be a slight inconvenience, but with only 8 it's not too bad and not having everybody exposed turn 1 is nice.   And the equipment pile is at least SLIGHTLY less likely to get blowed up.   It's cheaper than it looks because you can sell it for $200k, so only net $100k and the extra speed is a bonus.  The biggest downside for me is it's usable in fewer covert missions, so for a long time I had Dragonfly, Helicopter AND van in multiple bases.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: October 19, 2020, 01:16:31 pm »
1. I agree.

2. My philosophy right now is that time of travel is mostly irrelevant. With three crafts I should be able to get to almost all missions in time and few missions disappear fast in the early game. So I want to cover all the landmass with bigger transports.

3. Last campaign (up to mid 1997) I didn't research the Helicopter for a very long time so I mostly skipped it. Its only advantage is the lack of permanent lighting for night missions and I do a lot of these. Also if you transport a craft from a base to another base it will travel with all its crew and equipment (and only paying for the craft transfer == cheap). It takes a day so I could bounce some crafts between bases later on, if I don't have enough crew.

You know, this Standard Lab requirement doesn't make much sense. I'll remove it.

Hmm, from game balance point of view, yeah.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:15:09 pm by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 19, 2020, 04:32:35 pm »
The team in the Japanese Strange Creatures.