aliens

Author Topic: HandOb maker  (Read 21818 times)

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
Re: HandOb maker
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 04:08:39 am »
As for unit creation - what about making an assembler-disassembler tool for unit sprite sheets? I mean, the thing that would collapse ripped parts into a set of pictures, as the game does, so you would be able to edit the assembled version inside of your tool (with the most basic image editing options, like Volutar's MCD Edit use for PCK editing).

Like you would render it, and then rip it back to the game format.
This would allow modder adit assembled version of the unit frame per frame, with quickly switching from frame to frame. After all the required frames are done, we hit Export and take game-ready image asset. I would say it would be the best option for drawing complicated units.

Offline bohemond

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 11:38:46 pm »
That's an interesting idea Finnki, and something I might actually get motivated to do. I'll think about it.

I finally moved the code to GitHub and uploaded a new version.
The new version has a feature to save the 'projects' and a recent 'projects' list.
(I modified the first post)

I might get around to fixing all the crashes you guys reported later, but it's not exactly fun, so don't count on it.  :)

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 02:12:32 am »
That's an interesting idea Finnki, and something I might actually get motivated to do. I'll think about it.

That would really push OXC modding to the new limit.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2021, 08:47:46 pm »
Can we also unite 2 your great projects? Like adding sample soldier unit as background for handob generator to actually observe how it is held? And what about the ability to edit it right in your tool, so we can see both weapon and unit in background? Would be super useful!

Offline bohemond

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2021, 11:13:57 pm »
I actually had sort of the same idea. If you look in the UnitSprite studio I already have a section 'item' prepared at the top. But I was not able to integrate the two in a satisfying manner.

I'll have to give it another shot, but they are very different tools and also in different programming languages.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2021, 09:23:31 pm »
Howdy!

Mate, dunno if it's a bug or something on my side but could be possible to save the handOb and floorObs in the OXC palette like on UnitSprite Studio? Every time I save a sprite it removes the palette and I need to fix it.

Just a minor hindrance, otherwise the tool works delightful. Keep up the good work!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:08:13 pm by efrenespartano »

Offline bohemond

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 09:32:36 pm »
I'm not sure if someone is using this for TFTD, but I guess I would have to include that palette too and make it possible to choose which is active.

I guess it's a bother to have to change the palette every time, I'll do something about it.

Offline spectrefps

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2021, 10:36:32 pm »
Awesome tool! I recently made some custom/enhanced versions of the stock human-tech guns, but hit a block when trying to make decent-looking HandObs/FloorObs sprites for them. I am TERRIBLE at making/editing sprites (really, my attempts look complete rubbish T_T). This tool, through arcane magic, makes beautiful rotated and floor sprites!! :D

I have a few questions so far:

1. If you click on the image in the top left, it seems to change the 'center' of the sprite. In your experience, is it worth it to change this 'center' position so that the hands are 'holding' the pistol-grip (on a rifle) or does it look better if it is centered (not worrying about where the grip is)? In the example screen shots it looks like you have the 'center point' in the center of the sprite, even though the 'grips' of the weapons are further back.

2. With the "Mask Hand" setting, I noticed that on some of the sprite rotations, the green "masking line" (when "Mask hand" is enabled) goes completely across the whole length of the sprite (on the 2 horizontal-facing sprites) instead of ending at the "grip point". Is this intended? Also, what would happen if we left the Mask Hand setting disabled (like in your example pics)? Would the soldier sprite still cover them up properly, or would the weapon sprite "show through" the soldier's arms/hands when holding it?

3. Is it okay to leave the background color "white" or transparent when exported or should we make it a 'flat image' and use that 'index 0 green' color using something like GIMP (what I currently use to edit sprites)?

Sorry for the load of questions! I am loving this tool so far and it makes the hardest part of making sprites (especially for an un-talented sprite artist like me) much less daunting! ^O^
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:24:31 am by spectrefps »

Offline bohemond

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2021, 07:08:58 pm »
1. The eight boxes with the generated sprite show the grip position. It's very faint, I might have to improve that. That little square shows where the soldier's hand will be. The problem is with two handed weapons. Because of the way the soldiers hold them while shooting and standing.
So for single handed, it's better to use the grip position.
For two handed, center usually works better.

2. This one is difficult. I think it's again dependent on handedness of the item. It will probably work better for single handed items. Unfortunately my best advice is try it with and without and look carefully if the right pixels are visible in the right places.
I can now appreciate why Finnik wanted me to integrate some kind of unit view in the tool, that would certainly help with this issue.

3. The exported image is not in OpenXCom palette. That's something that I'm planning to change, but for now, you have to load it in an image editing software and use the battlescape palette and take care that the background is the 'index 0 green'.

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2021, 09:15:55 am »
Might be an idea that would help two handed weapon issue - make a button that would display some item, like laser rifle, on the position where the game would render it. Might be also worth making switch between idle and fire states

Offline bohemond

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Release: Integration with UnitSprite Studio
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2022, 10:19:20 am »
New version released (on github):
Integration with UnitSprite Studio
Significant performance improvement
Stability improvement
UFO and TFTD palette support

Releases moved to GitHub: https://github.com/bohemond-of-antioch/HandObMaker/releases

Integration with UnitSprite Studio:
More on that at https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,9524.0.html

Palettes:
Exports only in UFO Battlescape and TFTD Battlescape 0. I do not really see the point of having more options. Matching indexes is done with simple closest RGB.

Documentation:
Finally got around to describing the Advanced Options: https://github.com/bohemond-of-antioch/HandObMaker/wiki

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2022, 11:45:25 am »
I see that your tool is now must have, with option to make better profiles you can now easy mass produce graphics.
And adding front texture and back texture is simply cherry on top :)

Offline The Offensive Lemon

• Sergeant
  • Praise the Ł É Ɱ Ö Ñ, for the Ł É Ɱ Ö Ñ is eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2022, 10:52:09 pm »
When I try to download the exe from GitHub, Avira warns me of a file "containing the pattern of 'HEUR/AGEN.1221906'."

This didn't happen with UnitSprite Studio.  What gives?

Offline bohemond

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2022, 12:02:42 am »
That's got to be a false alarm.
You can build it yourself if you want to be extra careful. The project is in Visual Studio 2019.

Offline The Offensive Lemon

• Sergeant
  • Praise the Ł É Ɱ Ö Ñ, for the Ł É Ɱ Ö Ñ is eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2022, 02:10:10 am »
That's got to be a false alarm.
You can build it yourself if you want to be extra careful. The project is in Visual Studio 2019.

Oh, turns out I can just tell Avira it's a false alarm.  I feel like I should have known that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 02:12:24 am by The Offensive Lemon »