Author Topic: [WIP][OXCE] Arc Volter Weapons  (Read 5188 times)

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
[WIP][OXCE] Arc Volter Weapons
« on: March 24, 2020, 08:03:51 am »
Update release to V 1.1:  Includes new weapon to Volter set, the "Stormgun" (shotgun/scattergun variant).
Screenshot of stormgun below.  Check to make sure of using the 1.1 download.

My next foray into the OXCE tinkering business, sharing a weapon mod (3 small arms) I hope to expand on.
Following up on my MRF Fluid Armor with a line of Electricity weapons, Arc Volt Weapons, or " Volters " for short.
Intent:

As a companion or alternative to laser tech at UFO game start, I wanted (mostly for flavor) something less "GI Joe" and at same time would add some some critical thought back.
I've no doubt someone has (or is) working on electricity weapons... (WotW?) but It interested me enough to put my own spin with a less overall objective and more a simple addition.
Before i blather on, here's what i'm working on; Brief (30sec) demonstration of rifle in action against floaters: (Screenshot of pistol at bottom)

Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:
V 1.1
  - Add Stormgun to Volter mod, 4 weapons total
  - Updated various entry sections for stormgun
  - Updated Rulesets (minor)
  - Refined BigObs art for original Volters
  - Fixed incorrect research points given for Volter Rifle (corrected to 20)
  - Fixed typos in string entries
Mixed sounds for weapon effects and original artwork (be kind!)  Filled in some believable details/story to fit with the early game.  It's a fun mod but its not an uber weapon, although it does higher damage than laser, it suffers several drawbacks (included in readme).

Please find attachment below, and consult ReadMe included for more details.
Install as usual, drop into mods folder and activate in OXCE.

Usage:
Thrilled if this became worthy enough to be used, just give me a heads up if you would.
Do tell if i royally screwed something in the 1.0 drop, for a good laugh, or your honest feedback.
Here's to cook'n some Sectoids!
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:05:27 pm by gaffer »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][BETA][OCXE] Arc Volter Weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 08:48:26 am »
it's OXCE, not OCXE

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:55 am »
Looks cool. Can they be used to stun enemies from distance ala the Stum Bomb Launcher?
It would do wonders as a submod for X-Com Files IMO.

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 05:37:04 pm »
it's OXCE, not OCXE
Amazing part was I dislexiaed it all 3 times I typed it.  Thanks Mer.

Looks cool. Can they be used to stun enemies from distance ala the Stum Bomb Launcher?
It would do wonders as a submod for X-Com Files IMO.

Presently they do new damage type (10- Arc Volts) 90% ToHealth and 10% ToStun and Armor.  However they aren't coded as such for stun.  This could be changed in the ruleset for preference either by changing weapon damageType (6 for stun)for the Weapons or via damageAlter (ToStun) I believe.  Of coarse I'm still figuring much of this out so perhaps someone more knowledgable can confirm.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][BETA][OXCE] Arc Volter Weapons
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:46:35 am »
Awesome sprites and concept, pal! Looking forward to see more of your stuff.

Question: can I use it on my mods? With credits, of course. :D

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:32:48 am »
Awesome sprites and concept, pal! Looking forward to see more of your stuff.

Question: can I use it on my mods? With credits, of course. :D

efren,
My thanks for the kind words!  Honestly I was nearing a release a bit ago and saw the Tesla weapons posted by alinare in TGwotW and felt my graphics were lacking.  Those Tesla's look sweet!

More than happy to share, as intended.  I've enjoyed many others labors of OXCE (double checked it meridian!) and glad to give back. Grateful someone will see use for it beyond myself!
Absolutely.  Thank you.

Debating now if I continue on expanding the arsenal of Arc tech (Craft weapon/BaseDefence, etc.) or move on to something else?
Again , this is all just trying to gain a greater understanding of whats in place and how to use it.

Regards,

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:00:51 pm »
Thank you for taking interest in developing this specifically for XCF.
Could you please elaborate on what role these weapons should fill? When is X-Com supposed to get them? Are they intended to be used by any enemy/neutral factions?

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 08:31:10 pm »
Thank you for taking interest in developing this specifically for XCF.
Could you please elaborate on what role these weapons should fill? When is X-Com supposed to get them? Are they intended to be used by any enemy/neutral factions?

Solarius,
Tbh, am only somewhat familiar with xcf design and have yet to finish a playthrough, only for lack of time.  I've really enjoyed the little I had played.  With that said I cant speak as to what role/time these would be appropriate for and would ask someone who has good overview of xcf and where these may be welcome in its current state. 

Atm, I have these working with a vanilla mindset as they are added as DT 10 and are available to research from gamestart.  I tried to layout much of this in the included readme , but honestly not knowing the way xcf works and its existing Weapons availability and purpose, I can't accurately respond with an answer.   

I gladly invite anyone with suggestions in this regard and wouldn't mind adjusting the ruleset to facilitate those changes.

However I must advise my life is in a very difficult place presently.  My wife had an emergency c section for our son and he is in intensive care.  Despite his injuries he is doing much better but we are at the very early stages of treatment and recovery.  In regard, I cannot say I when I will have time to make changes or respond but welcome the input.   Also for those who do, we may not know you but any prayers for our son Bennett are most welcome for his health and recovery.

Thanks and look forward to further discussion.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:14 pm »
All the best, man. This is certainly very hard on you both, but I really have faith it will all end well.

xcomfan

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 11:04:23 am »
I think it would be best fitting in World of terryfing silence mod

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 12:00:17 pm »
However I must advise my life is in a very difficult place presently.  My wife had an emergency c section for our son and he is in intensive care.  Despite his injuries he is doing much better but we are at the very early stages of treatment and recovery.  In regard, I cannot say I when I will have time to make changes or respond but welcome the input.   Also for those who do, we may not know you but any prayers for our son Bennett are most welcome for his health and recovery.

A brotherly hug for your son and I hope he heals soon

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 03:08:07 am »

efren,
My thanks for the kind words!  Honestly I was nearing a release a bit ago and saw the Tesla weapons posted by alinare in TGwotW and felt my graphics were lacking.  Those Tesla's look sweet!

More than happy to share, as intended.  I've enjoyed many others labors of OXCE (double checked it meridian!) and glad to give back. Grateful someone will see use for it beyond myself!
Absolutely.  Thank you.

Sorry for the delay, I deleted Tapatalk for a while and I didn't noticed you replied.

Hahaha those Teslas were drawn by alinare, im sure he would be happy with your nice words.

We are working to introduce your Volters into our mods (UNEXCOM, in particular). Your awesome lightning bulletSprites are far better than mine, thanks for sharing them too!

My best wishes and prayers are for Bennett, mate. Im sure he will get well soon! A huge hug for you and your family.

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk

Offline gaffer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 05:00:59 am »
Updated to V 1.1 , see first post for download.

Thank you guys for the Kindness.  Our son is doing pretty good and has been home for a few weeks.  Things calmed down enough I could finally finish some updates to the volters.

Thanks,

xcomfan

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 01:29:54 pm »
Best wishes  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile