Author Topic: OpenXcom - War  (Read 66982 times)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom - War
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »
It doesn't sound very logical that you can switch a weapon between arcing and straight trajectory.

It mainly depends on the type of ammo: propelled or unpropelled, a regular smoke grenade launched from a launcher is like throwing it (except it ignores strength as the maximum range). A propelled smoke grenade launched from a launcher is following a straight path towards the target.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 01:07:00 am »
Another thing that could be tried out is an unique type of weapon that replaces WeaponType: STUN for Warboy Mod:

Let me explain:

Currently, the stun weapon that humanity starts the game out is kind of dumb.

It's literally a cattle prod; despite the fact that in 1999, we had taser guns, rubber bullets, bean bag rounds, etc in police arsenals to try and stop people non lethally.

In 1999, Taser International developed an "ergonomically handgun-shaped device called the ADVANCED TASER M-series systems"

In military arsenals, there were a couple of gas weapons of possible use for an X-COM type organisation:

BZ Gas --In small doses, this makes you stupid, literally. You take your clothes off and mumble incoherently. At higher doses, you get knocked unconscious. Available since at least the 1960s.

Kolokol-1 Agent -- Kolokol-1 takes effect within one to three seconds, rendering the subject unconscious for two to six hours. Kills a certain amount of people anyway. Available since at least the 1980s in USSR arsenals.

The problem with just giving humanity a ranged stun weapon from the start of the game from a game design standpoint is this:

If you can just buy tasers or stun grenades off the shelf from the X-COM purchase menu and they are sufficiently good enough...who will ever research/use the Small Launcher?

Thus it becomes an orphaned weapon, like the heavy cannon -- why use it when you can just use the autocannon?

A solution to this would be to more closely define WHAT stun does.

Currently, it's a magic 'knock people unconscious with no ill effects' rating; implemented as such for the stun rod:

Code: [Select]
power: 65
damageType: 6

But what if you coded the game so that stun weapons were more like this?

damageType: 666 <-stand in for NEWSTUN
StunPower:  <-- How much stunning power the weapon has
HurtPower:  <-- How much hurt power the weapon has
HumanReaction: <-- Percentage of times that they have an adverse reaction to it
HumanModifier: <-- Multiplier of damage vs that type
SectoidReaction: <-- Percentage of times that they have an adverse reaction to it
SectoidModifier: <-- Multiplier of damage vs that type
MutonReac...
MutonMod...
.etc

Basically, you could then implement something like rubber bullets for existing X-COM weapons:

StunPower: 7  <-- How much stunning power the weapon has
HurtPower: 4 <-- How much hurt power the weapon has
HumanReaction: 0.18 <-- You have a 18% chance of an incredibly adverse reaction which leads to death each time you use it. For a rubber bullet, it's hitting someone in the head.
HumanModifier: 1 <-- Humans are standard.
SectoidReaction: 0.25 <-- Due to larger head to body ratio of sectoid, you're more likely to cause brain damage with each shot.
SectoidModifier: 1.25 <-- Due to sectoid weak pasty bodies, they get hurt more when shot with rubber bullets
MutonReaction: 0.05 <-- because of their incredible built in body armor, and general stupidity; it's really hard to kill a muton with rubber bullets.
MutonModifier: 0.25 <-- because of their built in body armor, they really don't feel rubber bullets at all.

So basically, a good shot can inflict 7 stun at the same time it subtracts 4 HP from the target's HP reserve; meaning you could actually kill someone, especially if you roll a reaction modifier.

For human BZ-1 knockout gas, it could be something like this:

StunPower: 25
HurtPower: 10
HumanReaction: 0.50 <-- You have a 50% chance of an adverse reaction
HumanModifier: 1 <-- Humans are standard.

With some variation for each alien race. So it could lead to some unintended hilarity like you find an Ethereal commander and try to stun him with a Gas Grenade; only to find out that he got an adverse reaction to the BZ-1/Kolokol-1 and died, or killing a bunch of civilians who were in a house along with a sectoid...

...and of course, Mutons wading through clouds of BZ-1, completely unaffected.

This way, you could have a range of human stun weapons going from:

Electro-Stun Pistol -- Replaces Cattle Prod as the 1 square stunning weapon. Cheap, lightweight; no X-COM operative should be without one. Mutons are invulnerable due to their thick skin preventing the TASER (the name is copyrighted, so Electro-Stun in game) darts from penetrating, etc. Can stun an alien or human without killing them generally.

Blunt Trauma Clips -- You could have rubber bullets for rifles and bean bag rounds for larger caliber weapons like grenade launchers. This is humanity's early ranged stun device. Kind of a mixed dice. You could knock someone to the ground or you could hit them in the head and kill them. Kind of a roll of a dice.

Gas Grenades -- Wide area, persistent weapon. Could use color-remapped smoke texture. Problem is, the effects would be cumulative like smoke inhalation currently is in the game. So you could end up killing people if you leave them in the gas cloud long enough to have an adverse reaction -- and some targets just die anyway.

And on the Alien side, you'd have the Small Launcher, with it's 100% reliable and safe stun that works on everything, from humans to Mutons without hurting/killing the target; giving players a reason to research and use the small launcher for extremely high value target takedown.

Course, there's a lot more refinement that needs to be done to this idea -- it has to be thrashed out and talked about a lot more, since this would be a major gameplay change, and we don't want to rush into that kind of thing willy-nilly.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:16 am »
Warboy, what version do you recommend to use with your mod? i have been wondering if it would work with any Git-builds or the standard 0.4.5 also it looks amazing!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:36:13 am by MFive »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:10 pm »
in it's current state, it works as a standalone, no need to combine it with the "official" version.
that said, it is WOEFULLY behind the current git build, as i've focused on finishing THAT rather than keeping my mod up-to-date.
when the next "official" version is released, i will update my mod and continue development on it. until then, it's way too much effort to bring it up to date, it'll be easier to start over with my old code as a reference.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 08:54:48 pm »
ok cool thanks! also thank you for all your(and every one else's) hard work at making this game a reality

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 04:17:42 pm »
in it's current state, it works as a standalone, no need to combine it with the "official" version.
that said, it is WOEFULLY behind the current git build, as i've focused on finishing THAT rather than keeping my mod up-to-date.
when the next "official" version is released, i will update my mod and continue development on it. until then, it's way too much effort to bring it up to date, it'll be easier to start over with my old code as a reference.

Warboy, what chances are your mod gets fused into current OpenXCOM?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 04:29:50 pm »
i'll be updating my mod when the code stabilizes, and in fact i've already started bringing it up to date.

the chances of it being merged into the master are slim to none, i'd say. the main focus of openxcom is to replicate the original, and i make some pretty drastic departures.

however i may try to promote it as a "sister" project, who knows, maybe i can even convince supsuper to add an official download link on the website.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 10:15:52 pm »
Ideal Scenario

Warboys MOD suddenly gets introduced at indiegogo with a new title:

OpenXcom - Final Countdown

Story:
XCOM has lost. Soldiers from XCOM-bases are scattered around the world. Some equipment along with scientists and engineers are saved but only a few usable interceptors and skyrangers remain. The Aliens ruthlessly kill / consume animals and humans alike. Enslavement of Earth and full Xeno-Forming has began.

Earth's remaining sane humans gather into guerrilla groups: these men and women are civilians trained by veteran soldiers just like in the Terminator's movie in that future. Everyone becomes a commando. Humans fight with everything they can lay their hands on. New weapons are being developed & deployed and tested on the battlefield with a lot of casualties.

A group of expert pixel graphics artists along with designers and coders team together to create the ULTIMATE OPENXCOM MOD:

OpenXcom - Final Countdown

Cyril

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »
Probably a stupid question, but, does the current version of the mod work with 0.9?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 11:46:51 pm »
not yet, i will be updating it tho.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:09 pm »
Warboy, could you add bigger storage rooms and bugger living quarters? i was thinking instead of 50 per room make them 75 per room, so they are bigger but not huge. cost would be increased 60% for build and per-month?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:14:45 am by MFive »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:33 pm »
Warboy, Wed May 22 08:43:23 2013
MODDERS REJOICE! NEW GRAPHICS ARE EASY NOW!

This might mean War update. :D

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
This might mean War update. :D

that was an important step, yes.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »
You're 6 months behind on your own dev branch, if you are now going to merge it, isn't it going to explode? :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:00 pm »
merge it? hah, good one. no, i'm gonna start over, i was a complete noob when i started that, now i'm slightly less of a complete noob and i know my way around the code, i realize there are MUCH better ways to do just about everything i was doing.

plus this time i'm actually going to document every stage on github, so if someone sees a feature they like (say, shotgun behaviour) they should be able to add it to their own branch simply by merging the commit.