aliens

Author Topic: OpenXcom - War  (Read 66972 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom - War
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »
I hope most features can be commited to main branch, and your mod will only use different yaml configs / resource files.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:11 pm »
right, that would be nice... if those features could be merged and later simply turned on/off by changing rulesets, that would be very cool.

also, I'm really looking forward to the "War" mod / total conversion / alternative game / whatever you want to call it in the end ;)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2013, 12:20:09 pm »
right, that would be nice... if those features could be merged and later simply turned on/off by changing rulesets, that would be very cool.

also, I'm really looking forward to the "War" mod / total conversion / alternative game / whatever you want to call it in the end ;)

Exactly. Get everything from WAR into OpenXCOM and allow enable/disable in Advanced options.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 11:19:48 pm »
Exactly. Get everything from WAR into OpenXCOM and allow enable/disable in Advanced options.

I kinda think a lot of the gameplay stuff from advanced options could be ported to rulesets in the long term. :)

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2013, 06:29:08 pm »
I'm having trouble getting this mod to work correctly.  It sort of runs, and I see all the new items that can be purchased and whatnot, but when I try to use the UFOPEDIA, the game crashes.  The README says to copy the files from the original UFO folders.  So, I do that first, and then install the mod in that same folder.  Am I getting the order incorrect or missing something?  I think if I switch the order, older files will overwrite newer ones.  I've played a little bit and the game seems to run ok as look as I don't try to look at the UFOPEDIA.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:05:45 pm by wsmithjr »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2013, 12:37:14 pm »
it's based on 0.4.5, i haven't gotten around to updating it yet, because i've been busy fixing all the bugs and adding mod support. i never played with the ufopaedia in that version.

i'll get around to updating it sooner or later... most of the support i need is implemented (well except shotguns, flamethrowers, etc.) but for the most part it should be relatively painless. the hardest part is going to be coming up with flavour text for everything.

if anyone wants to help me out: i need ufopaedia entires for the following:

shotgun
flamethrower
LMG (i'm thinking this)
flashbang
sectopod construction (research topic)
sectopod HWPs
cloning facility
medical facility
training facility
laser sniper rifle
plasma LMG
disruptor pistol
disruptor rifle
disruptor LMG
disruptor cannon (craft/hwp)
gauss rifle
flak gun (think unreal tournament)
rail gun
rail cannon (craft/hwp)

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 07:33:12 am »
it's based on 0.4.5, i haven't gotten around to updating it yet, because i've been busy fixing all the bugs and adding mod support. i never played with the ufopaedia in that version.

Thanks.  Was just trying to access the UFOPedia to see what the stats were on the new weapons.  Thanks for all the work on the mod and OpenXcom.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 08:11:50 am »
so, i think the time has come for me to get back to work on the warmod, and i'm wondering... how much of this can i get away with putting in the main code?

another way to say this might be:

what moddability features should we support by default? i've already added a few by request (for example, maximum range, bullet speed) but what else should we support in the main package?

some of the things i'm thinking of adding:

Full Auto fire mode: like auto shot, but 5 bullets instead of 3.
Physical training facilities: to operate almost identically to those in apocalypse
Flashbang grenades: affects reactions and accuracies, no damage.
Police/Military units: Civilians with weapons, basically.

some of the things i'm not thinking of adding:

shotguns - requires either dirty hacks, or a massive rewrite. originally i had the shotgun fire five projectiles at once, had them all skip their flight path and hold back exploding until the last round hit. this produced the desired effect, but wasn't pretty. the alternative is to refactor projectiles into a vector and have them all move simultaneously, making it pretty, but bringing about a set of other problems, like camera centering, for example. not to mention this would be a massive rewrite of already working code.

flamethrowers - doesn't require a lot of rewriting, but again the method is less than ideal. i was basically setting off incendiary explosions as the projectile traveled, and the radius got slightly bigger the further it went (starting at 0 for the first two tiles, so as not to put the user at risk). it consumed 1 unit of ammo for every tile it set alight, 2 if you were doing a "long burn"

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:23 am »
if I had to pick two of the four you listed, I would take these:

Physical training facilities: to operate almost identically to those in apocalypse
Police/Military units: Civilians with weapons, basically.

as for the shotgun and flamethrower, well, if they are this problematic, I guess I don't need them ;)

oh, btw, talking about shotguns: do you think it would be possible to add a "push" mechanic to the game? something like "if a weapon with a certain attribute "x" hits a target and deals more than "y" damage, the target is pushed back a tile"? technically (and graphics-wise) the target could be dealt something like 300 points of temporary stun damage, the "unconscious body" object starting at mid-height and being "thrown" one tile, and then the temporary stun damage is removed again. this would make sure that the unit isn't thrown into or through anything.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2013, 08:47:51 am »
In my opinion, if something can be implemented as optional feature (without some hacks), it should land in main code. That way differences between codebases can be limited to required minimum.

Also, maybe it would be wise to put mod specific code in seperate directories / namespaces? For example src\WarMod\Engine src\WarMod\Battlescape. What do you think?

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2013, 11:25:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been having fun with the v0.9 released and since I am not good at putting in people's mods into the game I wanted to ask if there was a version in the works for release that implements these mods which one wouldn't have to manually put them in (copy the files, etc...).

I would love to work on this too but I have little technical experience. If anyone needs artwork maybe I could contribute?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:27 pm »
by all means, i'd love some artwork. here's a link to the resources i have together so far:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47596892/OXCMods/data.rar

some of my "art" is abysmal, the flamethrower in particular is terrible (bigobs 9 and 10 in that archive, i believe)
i could definitely use some graphics for the disruptor and gauss type weapons, and the LMGs, or some images for ufopaedia articles for the craft weapons/sectopod construction

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 02:38:43 am »
I imported some gifs into photoshop to tinker with but they are tiny and resolution is atrocious. Lol. Any suggestions?

About the shotgun thing, why make multiple projectile vectors? Just make it one shot and have it do a certain amount of damage depending on the load. Copy what the heavy cannon does maybe and then alter the damage taken? Something like the flak gun idea would be what you'd spray projectiles from and that is an easier idea to scrap than the shotgun idea which people seem to respond to pretty good. Just thinking aloud.

Offline Star Commander

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:39 pm »
Hey Warboy, as a 'thank you' for looking into my own image issues, I'd thought I'd chip in some efforts towards your image issues.

Here's a quick re-work of the flame thrower bigob image, blown up to 400% (and rotated on it's side for the moment).

Regarding craft weapon ufopedia images... they follow the same format as the aircraft images?  At least I got 'That' bit right with my planes  ::)  (PS: any further luck with those? I think I sorted the transparency issues, but my install still refuses to load them :'()

Offline Dercik

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »
Are there any effort being put or plans for an update of this mod for current version of OXC (0.9) in the present time?