Author Topic: Strict Rules Runthrough Of UFO: Enemy Unknown (Using OpenXCOM)  (Read 16042 times)

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Strict Rules Runthrough Of UFO: Enemy Unknown (Using OpenXCOM)
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2018, 01:44:15 pm »
Well, at first I thought that this'll be a waste of time(peace)

No worries, it's a play-through of a ~25 year old game on a forum dedicated to that game...hardly the most original idea I've ever had!  :D

you do have great writing skills and storytelling and that just captivates the mind.

Thanks! I think the only way this entirely unoriginal concept becomes worthwhile is to write it in a "naive" manner, where the characters have no game knowledge. Hopefully I'm pulling it off.

Why did you let the 25th annihilated?!?!?!!

Well...a combination of A) the ruleset (Ironman, not allowed to abort a terror mission or time it to always be daytime), B) bad luck and C) not every decision I made turned out good.

Obviously both squad wipes happened in night terror missions on the 25th, but the pattern was the same:

A) Leave SkyRanger
B) Spot alien
C) Fail to kill alien. Too early to have "Get out of jail free" Blaster Launcher
D) Make choice: either someone else leaves to take 2nd chance at killing it, or dude A probably dies
E) Remember rule #1...so make the choice to have someone else leave
F) Suffer on Alien's turn

The first one was quite unlucky: Mancini almost won it at the end single-handed. If he hadn't died to the very last shot that came in, I'm 90% sure he would have won and survived. Not to mention the 3 blue-on-blue deaths due to terrible Rookie aiming!

The second one...well, we weren't able to deal with Cyberdiscs in the dark at that point.

While I fully tried to win...it makes for a good story arc that I didn't. #ConsolationPrize

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »
Skyranger is the deadliest, nastiest flying coffin you could design... No wonder deployment is the worst part.

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2018, 07:15:51 pm »
I'm about to write up Sept + Oct.

Problem: it is an absolute oven here in SE England today and my laptop heat shutdown after I accidentally pulled the USB cooling pad I have it on for no more than 2 minutes. :(

Now, auto-save (I LOVE you!!!) meant I lost basically nothing on the game (about two turns in a battle), but I *did* lose all my notes up to around Oct 23rd.

There may be inaccuracies in the next update. I'll try my best from the screenshots...

Addendum: Somebody, not mentioning names but I think it was something like Kip Bass And Wriggle, may have cleared out his screenshot folder today as it was becoming a mess...forgetting that most of September was in there...

:(

I can piece it together from the memorial screen, but there will be no screenshots. Luckily, it was my "transition from SkyRanger to Avenger" month, where I tend to just shoot down UFOs and research lots of stuff to keep score up.

Still...I'm giving myself a D-Minus, must try harder for brain usage here.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:37:04 pm by KickAssAndGiggle »