aliens

Author Topic: Strict Rules Runthrough Of UFO: Enemy Unknown (Using OpenXCOM)  (Read 16393 times)

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Strict Rules Runthrough Of UFO: Enemy Unknown (Using OpenXCOM)

Difficulty: Superhuman with Ironman on

Self-Imposed Rules:

1 - Every Life Is Sacred

XCOM will endeavour to keep every recruit alive.

(Practical Terms: no using rookies as "cheap scouts", no suicide tactics, no "accidents" for bad/psi-weak troops. Death will happen of course but every attempt must be made to avoid it)

2 - No Man Left Behind

XCOM recruits are a band of brothers!

(Practical Terms: XCOM cannot abandon ANY mission if a living soldier is off the craft, EXCEPT if the soldier has been successfully mind-controlled three times or more)

3 - No Surrender To Terrorists

Terrorism is worse than war, and XCOM will not countenance ignoring it.

(Practical Terms: XCOM MUST attend all terror sites. XCOM cannot abandon a terror mission for ANY reason: it's do or die!)

4 - Mental Health Has No Stigma

XCOM will care about the mental health of its soldiers.

(Practical Terms: No more than 2 psi-amps per mission. XCOM will predict grave long-term mental issues for psi-amp troops and will limit them to a "needs-must" basis)

5 - Care For The Environment

XCOM will not destroy the planet in order to save it.

(Practical Terms: all FUSION weapons (tanks/craft/defences) are BANNED by XCOM. Maximum of 8 blaster bombs on each mission)

6 - Defend The Earth

XCOM will make sure Earth is safe before taking on the aliens elsewhere.

(Practical Terms: XCOM must have 6 viable bases before researching Cydonia Or Bust. A minimum viable base contains a hangar with at least a sufficiently armed interceptor, a stores, a living quarters, and at least 16 soldiers, who must have enough equipment if attacked so as not to make a mockery of rule #1)

7 - Fight Like Professionals

XCOM will not use "wacky" tactics in battle

(Practical Terms: no "grenade relays", no using pistols JUST to train reactions...and any/all other "cheesy" tactics. Basically: no cheese)

8 - There Is No God

XCOM will fight the aliens on their terms, with no omniscient assistance.

(Practical Terms: XCOM will not use any external methods to track down that "one last alien" on a mission...it's the hard way only)

9 - Wait Until You See The Whites Of Their Eyes

XCOM will not "hope" they get lucky.

(Practical Terms: XCOM will not fire blasters blindly to "hopefully" destroy a base/Cydonia: the destruction must be verified by line of sight)

10 - Be Strict And Honorable

XCOM will be true to its principles.

(Practical Terms: there are ZERO exceptions to rules #1 -#9...no "oh just this once" kinda things. No. Exceptions. Period.)

I know there is a tendency to do video based "Lets Plays" in 2018, but I will be writing mine (oldskool!) with accompanying screenshots.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Strict Rules Runthrough Of UFO: Enemy Unknown (Using OpenXCOM)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 01:06:43 am »
All of it looks good.

But didn't you mean max 1 blaster bomb per 8 missions?
(instead of 8 bombs per 1 mission)

PS: and is waiting on the 1st turn considered a cheesy tactic?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:11:09 am by Meridian »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 02:04:07 am »
11 - No Cowardly Smoke

No more hiding behind endless smoke clouds - you are only allowed to bring 2 Smoke Grenades per mission.

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:26:12 am »
You could also have a clipboard dictator for a quatermaster who has an "Alien weapons are too valuable" attitude and refuses to arm the Skyranger with any. Meaning the only time you can use plasma weapons is when you take them off the aliens during battle. I used to do this a lot back in the bad old days of the 80 item limit and it wasn't bad.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:57:09 pm »
It's nice to see a non-psychopath approach! :)

And I'm really happy you plan to write it. Make no mistake, I like watching people playing, but written LPs are to me the most entertaining. (Also faster.)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 08:28:05 pm »
Can we apply as soldiers in your LP?

If yes, I would like the 9th soldier (the first one after the cursed original 8 ) named "Tough Luck"... I would like to carry a motion tracker at all times, and if you use any mods, please don't give me a shotgun... any other gun will do.

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »
"But didn't you mean max 1 blaster bomb per 8 missions?
(instead of 8 bombs per 1 mission)"

No...I didn't. :) Obviously I could make this harder, but I'd like it to be fun too!

"is waiting on the 1st turn considered a cheesy tactic?"

Hadn't thought about it...I'm going to say "No", but likely will only be used on a terror mission in any event.

"11 - No Cowardly Smoke"

No more hiding behind endless smoke clouds - you are only allowed to bring 2 Smoke Grenades per mission."

Not totally compatible with rule #1...however it isn't actually a big deviation from my usual playstyle in any event. Do I want to formally limit myself?

Hmm...hmm...OK, yes, accepted.

"You could also have a clipboard dictator for a quatermaster who has an "Alien weapons are too valuable" attitude and refuses to arm the Skyranger with any. Meaning the only time you can use plasma weapons is when you take them off the aliens during battle. I used to do this a lot back in the bad old days of the 80 item limit and it wasn't bad. "

I have done a "conventional weapons only" run before myself, but not in conjunction with "can't skip or even abandon terror sites". I'm going to say no to that one, on this run.

"It's nice to see a non-psychopath approach! :)

And I'm really happy you plan to write it. Make no mistake, I like watching people playing, but written LPs are to me the most entertaining. (Also faster.)"

I vastly prefer written accounts to videos, glad I'm not the only one! :)

"Can we apply as soldiers in your LP?

If yes, I would like the 9th soldier (the first one after the cursed original 8 ) named "Tough Luck"... I would like to carry a motion tracker at all times, and if you use any mods, please don't give me a shotgun... any other gun will do."

Yes you can...and yes you can. I don't use motion detectors much but I'll see what I can do. And there are no mods.

Please keep in mind that the terror site rule does mean a fair chance of death for anyone who gets "named" before Power Armor.

I'll be starting tonight, first real entry either late (British Summer Time) or tomorrow.

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:24 pm »
Update #1

From The Diary Of Private Sara Lombardi

New Years Day, 1999

Color me surprised.

In fact, color me goddamn surprised with a large side-order of toasted amazement.

They actually did it. That moron in the White House, the wet-blanket who calls himself the British Prime Minister, the sour-faced lady who runs Germany, the mad communist Russian dude and that Chinese bloke who looks a bit like a bulldog chewing a wasp. They actually did it.

XCOM is a reality. Better late than never. It's been over six months since that giant, metal monstrosity appeared, hovering over Las Vegas, raining down fire on people. Since then, I've heard of attacks on London, Paris, Rome, Beijing, Sydney and frankly more cities that I can remember. The briefing commander suggested over 500,000 have died in 6 months. It's a disgrace its taken them this long to be frank, but as I said, better late than never.

I do not understand why they have chosen to build the main base in Europe though: it's us, the mighty U S of A, stumping up most of the cash. Not just in Europe, but Britain: right on the outskirts of London. Makes no damn sense to me, diary. But it is what it is: hopefully I'm just missing something and it's not just that my superiors are morons. Although I do get that feeling...

I volunteered straight away of course: no point being one of the youngest female marines in history if you're not going to put it to good use. And I was accepted: tens of thousands of applicants and I was in the top 8. Pretty damn proud of that I'll tell you.

I was shipped over to Britain in one of those state-of-the-art Sky Rangers. It's a veritable flying fortress diary: I doubt the aliens have anything that can stand up to it. I got to have a good look at one of those feisty Interceptor drones too. I honestly don't think the aliens have a chance, you know? They've only started well because they've had the element of surprise if you ask me.

My seven colleagues all seem like decent soldiers...well, except for Leona...uh, Private Krejei I mean, who seemed to be about as good on the firing range as you might expect a one-legged giraffe to be. She needs to shape up fast. And Private Kaminski is as jumpy as a tin full of grasshoppers...

I'm honestly not nervous at all diary. I doubt the aliens will even stick around after we've started to fight back. Fully expecting us to be done by Christmas.

Hooah!

Sara

Lab Report 1st January 1999
Lead Scientific Officer Dr Kevin Richardson

Top brass gave us three main areas to focus our attention on, and told us to assign priorities as we saw fit. Choices were a Medi Kit, a Motion Scanner, or Lasers.

Mmmm...Lasers.

Was a no-brainer. All 10 of us are on it. Have put in a request to the higher-ups to double the research team.

KR

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:29:24 am »
Update #2

Lab Report 5th January 1999
Lead Scientific Officer Dr Kevin Richardson

A breakthrough! Lasers are no longer just for reading CD ROMs...we can weaponise them! It's all to do with a long series of slightly curved glass lenses, strengthening the ray as it travels. But its all in the report, no space here.

Brass are impressed, want a practical design ASAP. We're starting with a pistol, seems easiest.

10 new fellows have arrived, I have added them to the project.

Things are going well!

KR

From The Diary Of Private Sara Lombardi (Last Entry)

5th January 1999

What a series of cock-ups. They couldn't organize a wine tasting in a vineyard this lot.

First of all, they order a tank, one of those remote relay ones with no crew. Then they realize there's only enough space to store one single mission's worth of ammunition in the stores. Then they realize we're short of grenades and smoke too and they haven't got anywhere to store them.

Assholes.

Long and the short of it: they're now building a second storage facility. And another living quarters. And a larger radar.

12 new soldiers, the second batch they call them, arrived last night, along with 10 more research boffs. Haven't had a chance to talk to any of them yet: hope they're more competent than that blind clown Leona.

I am actually really bored. I hope something happens soon. Maybe they've gotten scared? Yeah, I bet that's it. Cowardly aliens. Bet they can't shoot straight in a real fight.

Hooah!

Sara

Iucihi Akara's Diary, 5th January 1999

Hello diary-san,

I write today with great sadness. The brave Amercan lioness Sara Lombardi shall roar no more. Our first loss is our most painful.

A small UFO was detected, landed a mere thirty miles from our base. Two options were discussed in the briefing: we could send an interceptor to await the craft's eventual return to the sky, or we could go in on the ground, in the hope of recovering the craft in better condition. Sara was the most vocal proponent among the troopers of the second option, and so it was chosen by the commanders.

We were only airborne for around 10 minutes, and we landed just a few hundred metres from the landing site, which was on a medium-sized farm in the shires outside London. The UFO was somewhat shorter than our Sky Ranger, but fatter. Overall it was similar in size.

We sent the tank out first, to scout around. It had barely left the landing ramp when it's heat sensor had picked up a shape in the nearby cornfield. We all stared at the relay camera, and saw a short, maybe 4 feet tall, grey skinned, vaguely humanoid shape with large, oval, black eyes. It's head seemed somewhat too large for its body, which was skinny and rather scrawny looking. It looked...disconcerting, but not especially tough.

The operator at base chose to take fire immediately. The turret swivelled to face the creature, and a 76mm shell boomed out from it.

To my eyes, it was a direct hit. I think we all fully expected to see the creature explode in a mass of gore and guts...but...THAT SKINNY LITTLE CREATURE WAS STILL STANDING THERE, ALMOST AS IF NOTHING HAD HAPPENED!!!

It all happened so fast...

Sara was first to move down the exit ramp. She leapt down, took a knee and fired off three quick shots at the figure from her standard issue M16. She missed. After a fractional pause, she fired off a fourth. The little grey man moaned so loudly we could hear him in the Sky Ranger, and sunk lifelessly to the floor. Our first kill in the fightback against the horde!

Mancini-san popped a smoke grenade and threw it down the hatch after Sara to cover her. It popped, covering the area surrounding the exit in smoke.

A second later, a green streak came from nowhere, and crashed into the front landing wheel, just above Sara's head. I saw her turn slightly, and look at the red-hot glowing patch on the stanchion where the green fire had hit it, a look of wonder on her face.

And then...a second green streak. It...crashed into Sara's head. She dropped to the ground, soundlessly. Lifelessly.

She was gone. In an instant.

The tank swivelled again, trying to get a fix on the enemy combatant. Quick as a flah, Mancini was bounding down the exit ramp, fury in his eyes. As he hit the bottom and leapt to the right, the tank locked on: a second grey man in the lower wheat field.

Mancini dropped to his knee and fired off three shots. But he only needed one: his first shot went straight through the creature's left eye and it sunk to the ground with another whitering shriek.

Kaminski went next, and went left. He stopped in his tracks. Standing by the barn, maybe 20 metres from the ship, stood a third grey man, holding what looked like a pistol that would have been at home on the set of a Star Trek movie.

Kaminski was carrying the AutoCannon, and he unleashed a round. From 20 metres a direct hit would tear a man to pieces. He scored a direct hit: textbook centre-mass. But the grey man didn't even flinch.

I was next. I was terrified. But I was not going to let my comrades down. I ran down the ramp in a surreal, dream-like state. I stood beside the kneeling Kaminski, and aimed my rifle at the monster. I fired. Three shots.

Miss. Miss. Miss.

Nelson was right behind me, with a Heavy Cannon, and almost simultaneously with my last failure, pushed me out of the way, raised the giant weapon to his hip, and fired.

Miss.

Eli, Private Frazer, followed, and did to Nelson what he had done to me.

Miss. Miss. Miss.

Then Leona, who was bottom of the class in the shooting range, slid between Eli and Nelson. The little grey man seemed to have snapped out of the temporary shock that had prevented it from firing, and pointed the pistol at Nelson. I was sure he was a gonner.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

Leona fired three times. I didn't see which shot did it...maybe I had my eyes shut at this stage. But I heard the horrible shriek and the now familiar thud. Our worst shot just took the most important shot of the war so far, and came up with a peach.

Maybe 2 seconds later, a fourth grey man came storming out from the far end of the barn. It shot its green fire into the smoke, where 6 of us were badly placed. It missed. It fired again. It missed again.

Nelson had now recovered his composure. He swivelled, hoisted the Heavy Cannon once more and fired twice. He missed.

Leona also swivelled, and cool as a cucumber, fired. A hit. A shriek. A thud.

The tank moved towards the UFO, but it didn't get far before another shape was detected on the scanner. Standing by the side of the UFO, a fifth alien, identical to the rest.

At least three of us blasted away at it: later, the cameras identified Kaminski as having downed it with his 4th shot of the Auto Cannon.

Then more movement from the barn: another one of the bastards came flying out and took a shot at the tank. It missed at almost point blank range. And then, from near the alien craft, another flash of green fire streaked at us, narrowly missing Leona's head.

Kaminski aimed carefully at the barn stormer, and took it down with one. Leona...well, when you're hot, you're hot. She squeezed off three shots at the alien by the UFO, and even though it must have been 150 metres, we heard the all-too-familiar shriek as it fell.

We scouted the area and managed to get inside the ship: there were no more grey men. After an hour, base declared the area safe, and we moved to secure the contents of the UFO.

The cleanup crew arrived twenty minutes later. They were very excited to get their hands on an in-tact UFO. They seemed especially excited about the large, orange tube they extracted, and the panels of somewhat odd, purple-tinted metal that made up the interior walls.

Myself? I cried, diary-san. I had only known Sara for a few days, but she was a sister of XCOM. I will not allow her death to be in vain.

On review, the brass have promoted Mancini to Sergeant. I do not know why him and not Leona, but they must have their reasons. Her, and three others, are now Squaddies. But I am not. I had my chance, and I missed. I missed. I missed.

I failed, diary-san. But I will not fail again.

Iucihi
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:03:56 am by KickAssAndGiggle »

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 01:55:30 am »
The death of Sara was a hard hit, and just starting!.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 02:01:24 am »
If I may... it's a lot better to play openxcom "nightly" than "1.0".
If not now, please do consider it for next time...

PS: I wanted Sara to die almost instantly after I saw her diary entry... the new diary guy is much better :)

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:09:25 am »
The death of Sara was a hard hit, and just starting!.

Yep...I wrote the first update before the mission...I had no idea she'd be first to perish. We will avenge her.

If I may... it's a lot better to play openxcom "nightly" than "1.0".
If not now, please do consider it for next time...

PS: I wanted Sara to die almost instantly after I saw her diary entry... the new diary guy is much better :)

I'll try the nightly once I've finished, promise. 1.0 has been good to me though: it's everything I'd want in a modernization of this classic.

And I am trying to improve my writing: I often struggle to give different characters truly unique voices. I'm actually super pleased you see a difference! :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 04:46:22 am »
"11 - No Cowardly Smoke"

No more hiding behind endless smoke clouds - you are only allowed to bring 2 Smoke Grenades per mission."

Not totally compatible with rule #1...however it isn't actually a big deviation from my usual playstyle in any event. Do I want to formally limit myself?

Hmm...hmm...OK, yes, accepted.

You might not be aware but in the original game you were limited to using only 2-3 Smoke Grenades per mission because of technical limitations regarding the number of smoke that could be generated during a mission. So you're making your game closer to the original :)

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 09:16:51 am »
I was aware, but once the smoke cleared, you could re-throw! :)

I'm 36, and (like I imagine many of us) I first played when XCOM (UFO to us Brits of course) when it was still sitting in boxes on the mall shelves, back in 93/94. It changed my life: I'm a computer programmer (again, I bet I'm not alone here... :))) and this game (along with a few others like Dune 2, Wing Commander 1/2/3 and Doom) is what inspired me to become one.

This will be run through...oh I don't know...50 maybe, for me. Slight spoiler: I do fully expect XCOM to win this game! (Eventually...)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 11:54:12 am »
Nice! Very entertaining! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Wow, 100% of what I was going to say. Still, it made an ironic and hilarious effect - the stereotypical token gung-ho Murrican was the first to fall... Fitting :)