Author Topic: Strict Rules Runthrough Of UFO: Enemy Unknown (Using OpenXCOM)  (Read 16322 times)

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Strict Rules Runthrough Of UFO: Enemy Unknown (Using OpenXCOM)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 01:25:20 am »
A couple of clarifications to rules:

#3 XCOM will not "game" Terror sites by attempting to A) time them to be in day, or B) using interceptors to keep them active longer. Sky Ranger must be sent as soon as ready to mission and fight immediately.

(This one becomes particularly pertinent in next update)

#8 XCOM will not use any previous "omniscient" knowledge it can avoid. In practical terms, XCOM is not building Alien Containment until at least two missions where troops have been mind-controlled, nor make any effort to take any aliens alive until then.

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 03:25:15 am »
Iucihi Akara's Diary, 8th January 1999

Hello diary-san,

The 12 new recruits have settled in well. I am especially impressed with the shooting skills of Private Vendela Veitburg, and the all-round skillset of a young Indonesian lady called Tough Luck.

When she introduced herself, I thought that was her real name. Nelson told me later it was a joke nickname and her real name is Ji-Young Lee. But I like her other name much better!

I kept my place on the primary ground team, but Private Rogers did not. The squad has been expanded to 10 members: Privates Veitburg and Tough Luck have been assigned along with Morel and Durak. They all seem very professional, I begin to worry that I may be the weakest link in the chain diary-san.

I still see Sara's death in my dreams. I hope she is in a better place.

Iucihi

Lab Report 9th January 1999
Lead Scientific Officer Dr Kevin Richardson

Breakthrough. A working laser pistol. I cannot express in a brief memo just how much more effective this is than a conventional Glock 29. Orders of magnitude, in lab tests. And one single charge lasts for so long, it's effectively infinite ammunition in the course of any imaginable battle.

The recovery team brought back a boatload of alien gear from that craft they engaged on the 5th, but when I showed the pistol prototype to Sergeant Mancini. he insisted we devise a rifle-sized laser weapon next. The team were a little bummed about it, but if that's what the guys on the ground say they need, that's what we'll do.

KR

Iucihi Akara's Diary, 14th January 1999

Hello diary-san,

Yesterday was perhaps the proudest day of my life. I defeated my first of the foe!

Radar picked up the UFO over the English Channel, and an Interceptor was sent to take it on. We watched the battle on the screens in the command centre. These smaller UFOs do not seem to be a match for our nimble Interceptors, diary-san. It chased it to Germany, then shot it down a few miles north of Berlin.

There was little debate over whether we would hunt down the survivors: it was unanimous. 30 minutes later, we were airborne. I was sat between Nelson and Tough, who had a nonchalant conversation about French cuisine as we flew. How can they be so calm?

In a twist of fate, the crash site was on another agricultural site, it was almost as if I had deja vu. We landed close to the craft's main entrance and sprung into action.

Base sent the tank out immediately, as Sergeant Mancini split the team into squads. He assigned Nelson, Leona and Elizabeth (Private Fraser) to the storming party, and Kaminski and myself to the barn sweep. He ordered the 4 rookies, including Tough, to remain as a reserve.

He was interrupted at that point by the tank firing. One alien down already, and by the shriek, we knew it was more of the small, grey men (command have taken to calling them Sectoids, I don't know why diary-san).

Nelson and Leona charged out. I heard firing and another shriek. Then Kaminski and I followed, and headed North. I saw the base was controlling the tank to blockade the UFO door while the storming troops got into position.

Kaminski and I went around the barn to the North and saw nothing. We could hear shooting behind us, but could not see what was happening. There was no sign of any aliens around the North of the barn, so we doubled back to the South.

As we passed the barn entrance, Kaminski was in the lead. I didn't even see the alien in the field in the time it took him to take aim with his huge Auto Cannon and fire off three shots. The curses he let out when he realised he had missed would have made a sailor blush diary-san.

I eventually saw the alien in the wheat field at the same time as I saw the flash of green light streak towards us. It missed Kaminski by inches. Before I could get into a shooting position, he had fired six more shots, wildly I thought. He missed, six times. This did not improve his language...

I took careful aim and let loose a three-burst. I *know*, absolutely *know*, I hit it with the second, but it did not fall.

Then Kaminski fired again, but not at the same alien. I looked to my left and saw another grey man, much closer than the other. I don't know if any of Kaminski's shots had hit, but they certainly had not killed it.

I barely even aimed diary-san. I just pointed at it. And fired.

The moan. The thud.

My first kill!

I stood there, rooted to the spot. And then I heard Kaminski fire again. Another grey man was by the fence to our North. Mateusz Kaminski  probably saved my life right then diary-san. Because he chose that moment to start shooting straight. He killed it with one shot.

I had almost forgotten about the alien in the field...but Kaminski hadn't. As if he was in some sort of military trance now, he turned his Auto Cannon back to our original target, and...well, I don't know how he did it, because he really didn't aim...killed it with his next shot. I heard the click-click-click afterwards...it was his last bullet diary-san. Fate smiled on us that day.

The battle was won then but we did not know it. We swept the arera and found no more, and then returned to SkyRanger. Nelson, Elizabeth and Leona had cleared 5 between them within the craft. More interestingly, Elizabeth had been hit in the chest by the green light from a pistol at point blank range, and suffered no injury whatsoever. Their weapons seem powerful, but also unreliable at times. This may be the break we need diary-san. A mission with no losses. A perfect score!

I no longer feel like an imposter. They promoted Mancini to Captain, and Nelson to Sergeant. But I was just delighted to simply be called a Squaddie.

I now feel like I belong.

Iucihi

Lab Report 24th January 1999

And now, we have a laser rifle. Take a laser pistol, lengthen the barrel and add a stock. Add 50% extra battery power. Double the focusing lenses.

Voila!

I didn't ask the grunts this time: what they need against the alien menace is better armor. Just by looking at it, you can see great potential in this strange alloy the enemy make their ships from: I strongly suspect we could make quality gear from it if we could understand its properties better.

I've set the guys to work.

KR

=== AUTOMATED BATTLE REPORT ===

DATE: 25th January 1999
MISSION: Rapid response to alien terror raid on city (CODE: CTY0001)
ALIEN SPECIES SEEN: Codename 'Floaters'. Codename 'Reapers'.

=== Auto Transcript from Black Box and Surveillance Systems on SkyRanger 1 ===

ALL TIMES LOCAL TO LOCATION

22:45: Landing near central city plaza

-- VISIBILITY RATING: 0.03 LUX --

22:45: HWP exits SkyRanger

22:45: Mariusz Kaminski throws Electro Flare

22:45: Christian Mancini throws Electro Flare

22:46: Kaminski (A/C) exits SkyRanger right. Floater spotted. Floater killed.

22:46: HWP spots Reaper (SUBJECT A). Three shots, one hit, no kill.

22:47: Kaminski spots Floater (SUBJECT B), misses all shots

22:47: Nelson Antunes exits SkyRanger right.

22:47: Nelson Antunes kills Floater (SUBJECT B)

22:47: Return fire by unseen target misses Antunes

22:47: Christian Mancini throws Smoke Grenade

22:47: HWP spots Floater, kills with one shot

22:47: Floater exits building. Shoots Antunes. NELSON ANTUNES KILLED!

22:47: Reaper (SUBJECT A) charges tank, crushes tank chassis with jaws. Tank damaged but functional.

22:48: Kaminski shoots Reaper (SUBJECT A) Misses. Hits HWP. HWP DESTROYED. BLUE ON BLUE

22:48: Reaper (SUBJECT A) advances. Eats Kaminski. MATEUSZ KAMINSKI KILLED!

22:48: Reaction fire from SkyRanger, source undetermined. KILLS LEONA KREJEI. BLUE ON BLUE

22:48: Reaction fire from SkyRanger, source undertermined. Reaper (SUBJECT A) killed.

22:48 "Tough Luck" leaves SkyRanger, turns right.

22:48: Elizabeth Fraser leaves SkyRanger, turns left.

22:49: Floater (SUBJECT C) advances on Elizabeth. Does not fire.

22:49: "Tough Luck" shoots Floater (SUBJECT C). Floater killed.

22:49: "Tough Luck" spots Floater (SUBJECT D) behind him.

22:49: Iucihi Akara leaves SkyRanger.

22:49: Akara shoots Floater (SUBJECT D). Floater killed.

22:49: Fraser throws Electro Flare (South)

22:50: High explosive grenade inbound. "TOUGH LUCK" KILLED! IUCIHI ANKARA KILLED!

22:50: Fraser shoots Floater (off ground). Floater killed.

22:50: Seda Durak leaves SkyRanger, turns right.

22:50: Vendela Veitburg leaves SkyRanger, turns left.

22:50: Veitburg shoots floater (South). Floater killed.

22:50: High explosive grenade inbound. ELIZABETH FRASER KILLED!

22:50: Veitburg advances South. No alien spotted.

22:50: Seda Durak enters warehouse (East).

22:51: Fire inbound from unseen target. VENDELA VEITBURG KILLED!

22:51: Seda Durak exits warehouse through South door.

22:51: Seda Durak spots Floater. Shoots. Floater killed.

22:51: Christian Mancini (Mission Commander) leaves SkyRanger, turns right.

22:51: Marion Morel leaves SkyRanger, turns left.

22:52: Fire inbound from unseen target. SEDA DURAK KILLED!

22:52: Morel spots Floater (SUBJECT E) by petrol pumps. All shots fired miss.

22:52: Mancini moves to Morel. Shoots Floater (SUBJECT E). Floater killed.

22:52: Reaper (SUBJECT F) advances on Mancini and Morel.

22:52: Morel throws grenade at Reaper (SUBJECT F). Lands close. Does not kill.

22:53: Reaper (SUBJECT F) advances on Morel. Reaper eats Morel. MARION MOREL KILLED!

22:53: Mancini throws grenade at Reaper (SUBJECT F). Lands close. Reaper killed.

22:53: Mancini moves to alley. Floater spotted. Floater killed.

22:53: Mancini returns to previous location. Floater spotted. Floater killed.

22:54: Mancini returns to Skyranger.

22:54: Mancini drops his rifle, picks up Leona Krejei's equipment.

22:54: Mancini leaves SkyRanger, turns left. Floater spotted. Floater killed.

22:54: Mancini enters house, moves to upper floor.

22:55: Incoming fire from unseen target. Destroys wall by Mancini.

22:55: Incoming fire from unseen target. CHRISTIAN MANCINI KILLED!

=== ALL XCOM SOLDIERS HAVE BEEN ELIMNINATED ===

SUMMARY: Total Loss
MISSION TIME: 10 minutes, 9 seconds

REPORT ENDS

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:33:40 am by KickAssAndGiggle »

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 02:19:49 pm »
Diary Of Miguel Vaz, Feb 26th 1999

Well well diary, old bean, it looks like we're invited to the party after all.

Squad Alpha met with a sticky end in Russia. Damn shame that, especially Captain Mancini. And that lovely Japanese girl Iucihi. Too young to die like that. Damn, damn shame.

Myself and nine other fellows got the call to attend mission command at 0600 hours. They played that ghastly black box recording, and we saw those rotten Floaters in action. Bloody scary stuff. But we'll whip 'em next time.

Dr Richardson told us he has plans for some quality armor for us meat-shields in mind, but that he needs to calculate the tensile strength and ductility of some alloy first. I didn't really understand him, but he seems like a jolly intelligent chap so I'll take him at his word when he says its going to be good.

Couple of the team really rather impressive. Private Novikova is a girl who's going places, I'd bet my hat on that, and Private Cai (Cheah Cai, a most impressive name, my compliments to his parents) too.

Quick chin-wag later, we had ourselves a new battle cry. "REMEMBER THE 25TH". Bloody fitting I say. Never forget the lads and lasses who got themselves out for a duck through no bloody fault of their own.

Got to dash, supposed to be picking up one of those new fangled laser guns from the armoury.

Best,

Miguel Vaz (BSc hons, MSc, PhD etc.)

Excerpts From Base Log: EU-01, 26th January - 14th February 1999

26th Jan 00:00 hours
Large radar installation completed and brought online.

27th Jan 01:05 hours
Small UFO detected near in EU-01 radar range. Interceptor dispatched.

27th Jan 01:36 hours
UFO shot down. Crash position: Atlantic Ocean, 20 miles West of Spain. Salvage infeasible.

29th Jan 10:51 hours
SkyRanger 2 has been delivered to EU-01

Feb 1st 00:00 hours
XCOM report from Funding Council received. Overall rating: Good. UK and France increase funding. Russia reduces funding.

Feb 3rd 23:00 hours
Very small UFO detected heading North over Scotland. Interceptor dispatched.

Feb 3rd 23:55 hours

UFO destroyed in air near Iceland.

Feb 13th 17:00 hours
Small UFO detected in North Africa, heading North. Interceptor dispatched.

Feb 13th 17:50 hours
UFO engaged over Northern Italy. UFO shot down. Salvage Feasible. SkyRanger 2 dispatched.

Lab Report 13th February 1999

My initial thoughts on this alloy being perfect for making armour have been proven absolutely correct. Density is 60% of Aluminium, but with a strength-to-density ratio four times that of titanium...it couldn't really be more perfect for the task.

After the calamity of Novosibirsk, workable armour is plainly our number 1 priority, so I've set the guys to work on it with the utmost urgency.

I've heard Squad Beta's new battlecry. It's fitting.

Remember the 25th.

KR

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 04:31:23 pm »
Diary Of Miguel Vaz, Feb 26th 1999

Evening diary,

Had a bit of a bish-bosh with some floaters yesterday in Italy. Beautiful countryside. We landed in a vineyard to the east of Milan and got straight down to work.

Long story short, we took out the three blighters that survived the crash wthout loss, and we collected nine corpses in total. Not the full-blooded revenge for Alpha we were hoping for but at least it's a start.

Novikova, as I suspected, was singled out for promotion to Sergeant. Good for her, she is a frightfully good soldier and a down-to-earth presence in the mess-hall.

Best,

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 02:22:47 am »
Lab Report 27th February 1999

The new armor we devised definitely seems like an improvement. Sergeant Novikova spoke highly of it indeed, about how light and durable it is.

I neglected to mention in my last report that we started work on the Medi-Kit blueprint. Well...in any event, we're now finished. A light weight computer system that can diagnose, issue painkillers and stimulants and heal wounds with a revolutionary coagulating gel. It will make a difference, I'm certain of it.

The guys have been very vocal about getting more acquainted with some of the alien weaponry our ground forces have picked up. After looking them over by eye and viewing some black-box footage, I'm convinced that the heaviest of the so-called "plasma" weapons will provide the best bang for our buck, so we'll start there.

KR

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 1st March 1999

Stakeholders,

Thank you for your appraisal of our efforts in February. I would agree with your assessment of "Excellent" and would like to assure you that every effort will be made to keep up the current standards of performance.

XCOM would also like to take this opportunity to announce the promotions of Lyudmila Novikova to the rank of Captain, and Miguel Vaz to the rank of Sergeant, based on exemplary performance in securing valuable alien technology at a UFO crash site. They fight so we might live in peace.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Diary Of Sergeant Miguel Vaz, Mar 24th 1999

Evening diary,

Well, we showed the Ruskies why they were unwise to cut XCOM funding today. Frightfully bad luck for them that the aliens should choose to terrorise Moscow after Novosibirsk, but we certainly gave them a damn good thrashing this time.

Every man-jack of us was a bally hero today: floaters shot down left, right and center. Captain Novikova led by example of course, and I must make another special mention of Cheah Cai, who killed more of the brutes than any of us. Towards the end, those filthy, cowardly monsters were cowering at the sight of us!

It would be remiss of me not to mention the bravery of Private Kikuchi, who laid down his life so that his friends might live. He shall be missed.

Remember the 25th.

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 26th March 1999

Yesterday, on the 25th March 1999, XCOM responded to a distress call from the Australian government, asking for immediate assistance in dealing with an alien terrorist attack on Melbourne. This occurred less than 24 hours after the superb success XCOM had previously in Moscow.

XCOM dispatched SkyRanger 2 with its full complement of Beta Squad (who had bravely fought in Russia the previous day), plus 2 fully equipped reserves added to the squad to make up for the lost HWP, within ten minutes of receiving the alert. Regrettably, XCOM's location in Europe meant it was the early hours of the morning before SkyRanger 2 arrived at the scene.

We have already had a graphic demonstration of how deadly the alien menace is when encountered in low-light conditions within a built-up, urban landscape. While XCOM learnt lessons from this, the existence of a new alien, hitherto unknown to us and codenamed the "Cyberdisc", complicated matters.

With a heavy heart, I am left to announce that Beta Squad and SkyRanger 2 have been destroyed. This includes the brave Captain Novikova, the gallant Sergeant Vaz and the widely acknowledged hero Cheah Cai.

Words cannot express how deeply we feel this loss. We endeavour to fight on, though our hearts are heavy.

I shall close with words I know our soldiers have taken to heart, and have doubled in meaning due to the date of this battle.

Remember the 25th.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 03:04:17 am »
Diary of Dong Hsin 27th March 1999

I am most honored to be chosen to represent planet Earth in its struggle against the alien menace.

I swear on the spirits of my forefathers to do my best for China, for the planet, for my Squad Charlie colleagues and myself.

I swear to never be afraid, never to run, never to surrender, never to give up.

I will fight until the end, one way or another.

Dong

Diary of Dong Hsin 31st March 1999

By the dragon, we had great success today.

XCOM's mighty Interceptor defeated an enemy in the sky, and it crashed to earth with smoke and flame.

We flew in, slew the survivors like they were rabid dogs, and brought back many alien artifacts.

In their wisdom, our leaders have deemed me worthy of being promoted to Sergeant. I am proud, and will endeavour to prove myself worthy of the great responsibility placed upon me.

May his forefathers welcome Ichiro Takahashi to their house, for he laid down his life for us this day.

Dong

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 1st April 1999

Stakeholders,

Thank you for your appraisal of our efforts in March. I would agree with your assessment of "Excellent", and wish to place my appreciation on record for your acknowledgement of this fact despite our difficulties in Melbourne. The loss of our colleagues still hangs heavy, but I like to believe that the great success Squad Charlie has already achieved demonstrates that we do not intend their sacrifice to have been in vain.

While we are disappointed with the Australian delegation's decision to reduce their funding, we are grateful to those nations who have increased theirs. The monthly increase of $470,000 you have deemed appropriate will, you can rest assured, be put to good use.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 03:44:26 am »
Lab Report 10th April 1999

Done, both the "Heavy Plasma" and its ammo clip. What a weapon it is: lethal, accurate and thoroughly terrifying. I wonder how the filth will enjoy their own weapon being turned against them?

Command are complaining that it is too difficult and risky to engage the larger UFO with the current weaponry available to be mounted onto an Interceptor. They have asked if we can investigate the possibility of up-scaling this "Plasma" technology and making something effective at taking them down in the air.

So...that's what we're doing.

KR

Diary of Dong Hsin 12th April 1999

Today, the enemy attacked us in our home.

The UFO was enormous, and filled with Floaters and Reapers. Bombardment broke holes into the roofs all three hangars, and they poured into the base. Some more came down the access lift. We had not detected them on the radar and had little time to prepare. Fortunately, we were just able to arm ourselves and make ready before they emerged in droves.

All through the corridors we fought, orange laser beams and green plasma bursts whistling forwards and back. I was lucky enough to slay two floaters emerging from the Northern hangar early in the battle, and a Reaper who emerged from the access lift.

Sergeant Thygesen, who was my dearest comrade, was shot dead by a Floater's plasma before my very eyes. The immediate way in which he collapsed after the bolt hit his chest still makes me feel physically sick to remember.

And the pretty rookie Jenny Leino, killed by the last surviving enemy after having killed four of the beasts single-handed. Battle can be a desperately unfair master at times.

Four others also perished: Jo Chen-tao, Wiri Tau, Sergey Nikolaev (who had entertained us on many nights in the mess-hall with his superb piano playing) and Thorkild Jespersen. Each could have gone on to be a hero of the XCOM cause. I feel their loss was senseless.

Our leaders said that fighting off such a large force with only six losses was a great victory. But I felt hollow, and empty.

And then...they promoted me to Captain. I am not sure I am worthy of this honor. But as the great general Ulysses S Grant once said: It is from those who wait to be selected, not those who seek, that one might expect the greatest service. I will strive to prove him correct.

Dong

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 07:20:32 pm »
Lab Report 16th April 1999

The brass seem very pleased with the plasma cannon, and I believe they have already ordered one created for Interceptor 1. I would do my job for free, but it is nice to know that the work we have put in is appreciated.

The ground guys have told us that the so-called "Blaster Launcher" is an extremely potent weapon in the hands of our enemies, and that it would be extremely useful to have it in ours too.

Their wish is our command.

KR

Diary of Dong Hsin 20th April 1999

Today we fought in Paris. I saw the Eiffel Tower. I saw the Champs-Élysées.

I saw Snakemen. I saw Chryssalids.

The Snakemen literally look like giant, orange serpents, slithering around on their tails while standing upright. They are terrifying to behold.

But they are nothing...NOTHING...compared to the Chryssalids.

Man-sized, black crabs who walk upright on spindly legs, is a fairly inadequate description of their appearance. They are fast to move and heavily armored. They do not carry weapons or use any kind of ranged spittle...but up close they are disgusting and deadly.

They...implant an egg into their target, which immediately transform their target into what can only be described as a Zombie. And then, if you shoot the Zombie...from the innards of the corpse bursts another FULLY-GROWN Chryssalid.

Despite this threat, the mission went OK. We did lose Fillipo Ferrari and Ingvild Falck to Snakeman fire (thankfully not to the Chryssalids, who did get some civilians but none of our guys).

What I have taken away from this encounter is that the aliens are merciless and relentless. There is no reasoning with a mind that can use such a weapon in battle.

Only their destruction will keep Earth safe.

I have never wanted to be more than a simple soldier. But our leaders have other ideas for me. I have been promoted to Colonel; currently the highest ranking soldier in XCOM. I do not know why: my kill record is only second behind Stejklasova, who is still a sergeant. They must see something in me that I struggle to see in myself.

Dong

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 1st May 1999

Thank you for your appraisal of our efforts in April. I would agree with your assessment of "Excellent".

I am extremely concerned to hear that the United States has left the XCOM program. I am additionally mortified by the rumours I have heard suggesting this is due to the government signing a "pact" with the alien forces.

Nothing we have seen in the field gives us any reason to think the aliens have any capability for mercy, reasonableness or desire for co-existence. I must stress that XCOM firmly believes that any deal struck by them is a sham, designed solely to weaken XCOM, and will be in no way adhered to if they emerge victorious.

I would strongly caution against any other government following this example.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

(OOC note: as the screenshots show, I got a little lax at taking notes: Dong's promotions were for this mission + next mission: he was not promoted after the base assault. Slight spoiler: he is currently Commander, so it'll be back to "reality" after next update. And then, finally, the writing will have caught up to the playing and I can get back to it! :)) )
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:24:43 pm by KickAssAndGiggle »

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 11:49:18 pm »
Lab Report 30th May 1999

This month has been incredibly busy and I have been somewhat remiss with my reports. To set that straight:

1) We researched the UFO Power Source, and the UFO Navigation components that have been gathered by our boys on the ground

2) We researched Elerium 115. A very strange element indeedL the huge energy generated by just a fragment of this stuff when exposed to radiation is simply astonishing.

3) Combining these three elements with the alien alloy, we have devised a Power Suit (armour too heavy to move in without power, hence the name!) and a Flying Suit (basically a Power Suit which has an anti-gravity device included, allowng the wearer to...fly!)

4) A heavy laser. While the ground troops are now favouring the heavy plasma as a primary weapon, there is a belief that we may need ammo-less weaponry too, and the heavier the better.

Now that the USA have pulled out from XCOM, the brass feel we may need to become a for-profit organisation in the not-too-distant future. I have been asked to devise a ship mounted "laser cannon", which I am assured will sell like hot-cakes to world governments.

KR

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 1st June 1999

Thank you for your appraisal of our efforts in May. While your assessment of "OK" is a significant fall from the previous few months, we do accept that UFO activity has risen recently, and we will endeavor to redouble our efforts to combat it.

For the second month in a row, we are faced with governments pulling out of the XCOM project, amid mounting speculation of "secret pacts" with our enemy. Specifically, the governments of Brazil and Canada.

To counter this, I am now proposing that XCOM becomes a self-sufficient, forprofit organisation, manufacturing military tech for governments around the world. I shall strive to bring this about over the next two months.

This should in no way be construed as a lack of gratitude to the majority of our backers who continue to stick by us, and without whom we would struggle to operate.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Diary of Dong Hsin 3rd June 1999

The brave and hardy folk of Novosibirsk endured a second visitation by alien terrorists today.

By the grace of God, we arrived in the bright afternoon sunshine, to be encountered by those bulb-headed Sectoids and their Cyberdisc lap-dogs.

Once more, a hugely successful mission is tainted with some sadness, as Captain Catherine Colby laid her life down in the struggle against the menace.

There was a strange occurrence in Russia though. Halfway through the battle, a strange metallic chime was heard. Squaddie Maria Musilova then threw her gun to the floor and shouted "NO" at the top of her lungs.

On the flight back, she confided in me, telling me that it felt as if an alien was literally insider her head, willing her to betray and murder her colleagues, with, apparently, myself as the highest priority. How she had literally had to fight this voice mentally, and how she felt her "real self" had almost lost.

"In the end, I just panicked, and threw the gun away", she said.

If it hadn't been for the chime we heard, I may have put it down to combat stress. But I am very curious now...and worried. Can they read our minds? Can they...control us?

In any event...I have been promoted again...to Commander. The highest rank XCOM can bestow on a soldier. I am expected to lead by example and direct our combat operations in the field for every mission. I pray that I am up to the task.

Dong

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 01:14:32 am »
Lab Report 6th June 1999

Laser cannon prototype has been sent to manufacturing bods. Pretty uninspiring compared to the plasma beam cannon, but I suppose the lack of Elerium requirement makes it cost-effective.

I am intrigued by this "small launcher" and these purple orbs. They seem to be some form of stun-bomb, but the chemical makeup of the innards is very puzzling to me.

KR

Diary of Dong Hsin 10th June 1999

XCOM achieved a mighty success today.

A small UFO was shot down in a deep, dark forest in the German heartlands.

Charlie Squad and myself went to secure the crash area.

8 Sectoids engaged. 8 Sectoids eliminated. No losses. 50 units of Elerium.

A good day's work.

Dong

Lab Report 16th June 1999

Most interesting. The substance inside these stun bombs is very similar to Halothane. However, adding just a fragment of Elerium to the mix and exposing the end result to low levels of radiation massively increases the potency. A very interesting discovery indeed.

The brass are pressuring us to do autopsies...so we'll start with the "Reaper". Maybe with this new weapon we can consider capturing some of the bastards alive? It'd be interesting to try interrogating one.

KR

Diary of Dong Hsin 16th June 1999

Today I am depressed.

Another "routine" crash-site on a farmstead in Northern Britain.

Eliminated all aliens but one...Kaminska managed to destroy our laser tank with one badly placed shot, but other than that, things were looking perfectly fine.

And then, the last living alien kills three of my guys: Musilova, Dahnay and Colombo. One alien. Three top guys.

I feel responsible...I thought my tactics were sound...they were no different than the last time. Breaching the doors of a UFO feels so...random. Maybe we need new tactics for that.

I know I need a drink.

Dong

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 18th June 1999

As you are no doubt aware, XCOM responded to an alien terror attach in Perth today.

XCOM encountered three species of alien not seen before. We have codenamed them:

- The Muton: man-like, but with purple faced and with a green exo-skeleton

- The Silacoid: a heaving mass of pinkish tissue, dog-sized, that slithers along the ground

- The Celatid: a floating mass of pinkish tissue, that appears to spit acid.

XCOM was able to successfully able to clear the area, thanks in no small part to the actions of Commander Dong Hsin. Regrettably, Colonel Mala, Captain Kaminska and Captain Stejskalova were killed in the battle.

We shall miss them dearly. Remember the 25th!

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 20th June 1999

Yesterday, the aliens, in the form of Sectoids and Cyberdiscs, attacked XCOM base EU-01.

The alien threat was defeated. EU-01 remains operational.

It is with the deepest sadness that I must announce the death of Dong Hsin, XCOM's first commander. Dong led from the front, and had the second highest kill total of any soldier in XCOM's history. His loss is immense.

To quell the circulating rumors, I can confirm reports that the aliens DO seem to have some telepathic capabilities and they are effective in battle. XCOM will prioritize the research of these abilities and means of countering them immediately.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Lab Report 20th June 1999

Well, back to work after being rudely interrupted by those Sectoids. I can't believe Commander Hsin is dead...I honestly thought he would lead us all the way to victory. This war is a kick in the teeth.

We have finished autopsies on both the Reaper and the Chryssalid, but I don't think we learnt much more than what we already knew from the black-box recordings we had of them in action.

We have now been tasked with researching how we can make a craft more like "theirs". Our own UFO. Although it of course it won't be unidentified...so I guess it's an FO.

...I shouldn't joke, it's a sombre time here.

KR

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 1st July 1999

Stakeholders,

Thank you for your appraisal of our efforts in June. I would agree with your assessment of "Excellent".

Since the alien attack on EU-01, we have engaged two further UFOs in combat, both in the air and on the ground. In these missions, Keld Maj proved to be an invaluable soldier and a born leader. He is hereby promoted to the rank of Commander, to replace the legendary Commander Hsin. Additionally, Mariko Fujita is promoted to Colonel, and Latifa El-Amin to Captain.

May all three serve with distinction until the victorious end.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:16:04 am by KickAssAndGiggle »

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 04:40:28 am »
Lab Report 6th July 1999

Rapid progress. We have devised a fighter (codenamed the Firestorm: for the record, it is best equipped with plasma beam cannons and powered by Elerium: fire has literally nothing to do with it...) and a transporter, which I insisted on calling the Lightning (it's fast...so sue me).

Having devised these two, I am convinced there is something even better possible. Bigger. Faster. Better armed and armoured.

We are going to create the ultimate craft!

KR

23rd July, Monthly Update, XCOM Commander Keld Maj

Friends,

I think it is fair to say that July has been XCOM's most successful month since the beginning of this infernal war.

This is down to your dedication, commitment, bravery and professionalism. A commander of troops without these qualities would be able to make absolutely no difference whatsoever to this conflict. I couldn't do my job at all if you guys weren't doing yours brilliantly. Thank you.

It would be remiss of me not to begin by dedicating time to the memories of Marc Fetterlein and Susanna Ahonen. It is tragic that a "good" month for XCOM is one where we "only" lose two of our friends. They shall be missed.

Mission Summaries:

10th July, Small UFO shot down over Germany. Multiple Sectoids killed. Marc Fetterlein KIA

19th July, Medium UFO shot down over Ireland. Large number of Sectoids. Mind Control encountered, medium effective. One Alien, assumed Leader, taken alive. Susanna Ahonen KIA.

21st July, Small UFO shot down in the Sahara desert. Floaters, not many. No losses.

22nd July, Nairobi, attacked by alien terrorists. Night.

The Nairobi mission in particular deserves discussion. Landing at 2AM, all electricity in the city down, pitch black. Mutons, Celatids and Silacoids everywhere. The kind of mission that, in previous months, cost us squads Alpha and Bravo.

21 aliens down, no losses.

Which shows how far we have come in six months.

Keep up the excellent work team.

As an additional, we have made great progress in interrogating the Sectoid Leader we took from Ireland. We are hopeful of getting information to give us the upper hand. Hang in there guys.

Respectfully,

Commander Maj

Lab Report 29th July 1999

Busy times. Exciting times.

The Avenger is completed. It is a truly remarkable design: fast, spacious, well-armed. It's gonna take the manufacturing chaps a while to actually build one, but it will definitely be worth it.

The ground chaps captured a Sectoid on the mission to Ireland. They (the brass, upstairs) asked me to interrogate it. Now, at first, I thought this would be difficult...but they speak basically every human language. Fascinating findings indeed.

We were fully prepared to use torture, but the theat of it was enough. Sectoids are seemingly a middle-ranking species in the alien hierarchy. This one did not know where the alien control centres were located, but it was able to give us some clues as to how the alien mind control techniques work.

After a few false starts, we have now established how the mind-control works. We also believe we may be able to devise a tool to emulate the ability. Additionally, we may be able to screen soldiers to see how likely they are to be mind-controlled by the enemy.

Busy times. Exciting times.

KR

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 1st August 1999

Thank you for your appraisal of our efforts in July. I would agree with your assessment of "Excellent".

While the fight is still arduous, I feel as if we have turned a corner in our struggle. Some of the details are classified, but R&D have made some extremely interesting discoveries in the last month that will stand us in good stead going forward.

I am additionally pleased to announce that US-02 is now a fully-fledged  manufacturing base, helping to set XCOM on a sound financial footing. We will fight the war to the bitter end, no matter how many governments side with the alien menace.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 12:50:42 pm »
Thanks for all these interesting reports, and good luck in the future!

On a side note: gosh, vanilla X-Com is so short, everything happening so fast...

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:29 pm »
Thanks for all these interesting reports, and good luck in the future!

Thanks and thanks. August is done and played, just needs writing up. A lot of deaths in August...

Struggling to find a balance between:

A) Too much info (the battle report where Alpha died felt like that to me, upon re-reading)

B) Too little info (last two updates...I played a lot in one sitting and struggled to find motivation to write it *all* so I condensed...arguably too much)

In fact, B is a real issue. I would normally blast through a game like this in a Friday - Sunday marathon, but the writing means I have to do it in chunks, and work + family + other hobbies get in the way from time-to-time. Have no fear though: I don't quit games like this. XCOM will triumph...eventually.

On a side note: gosh, vanilla X-Com is so short, everything happening so fast...

Yeah, it does, when the person playing is experienced. Having said that, I can cast my mind back 24 years to my first ever attempt, back in the days of DOS: that most certainly did not go fast! It in-fact went terribly... (I was 12!)

One thing I would like anyone who is new (or newer) to UFO to take away from this run-through is that death is not the end, and Ironman mode should not be feared. I have squad-wiped twice, but I'm still 100% confident of winning. Never surrender, never give up!

Offline KickAssAndGiggle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 10:35:21 pm »
10th August 1999
From the diary of Frederica Rossi

When I was eleven, my seven year old brother was killed in a road traffic accident.

When I was fifteen, my father died of lung cancer, literally choking on his own blood in front of my eyes.

And yet...yesterday was by far and away the worst day of my life.

The alarm went off at around 10pm: "Incoming UFO...Incoming UFO. US-02 is under attack, repeat, US-02 is under attack. All troops to stations!"

I grabbed my Heavy Plasma, got into my personal armour in about 10 seconds and headed to my muster point in the rear living quarters.

To be clear: I am part of a garrison. 16 men and women, in charge of defending the XCOM base in Colorado. We have extensively studied the black box recordings accumulated by our EU colleagues across the Atlantic. We have trained extensively in "War Games". But none of us had actually fought an alien before.

From the access lift: Sectoids. Lots of them. The guys in the forward Stores engaged immediately, and definitely took a few out. But they all fell in a matter of minutes. Musashi and Gimsing definitely went down there. I'm pretty sure there was a third. May their family forgive me for not knowing.

Then, a Cyberdisc. Not a threat: taken out quickly. Then a chime...Private Schulz turns around with a dead expression in his eyes and empties his plasma into the chest of Gae at point-blank range. Mind control...

I leapt into the corridor and saw a sectoid progressing through the front living quarters. Got him. I heard a clatter as Schulz threw his gun to the floor, in total panic. He realised what he had done.

The order of events gets hazy. One of the sectoids came from the lift with a Blaster Launcher. Someone took it down, and someone leapt to pick it up. Eventually, that same someone fired the launcher into the hanger, and from the agonised moans we heard, probably took out 4 - 5 of them.

The dead look returned to Schulz's eyes, and like a zombie he shambled towards the Aliens. One of them shot him dead.

We tried to keep the fighting in the main corridor. When one of us fell, another took their place. I don't remember all the details, but the scorch marks on my armour tell me I took a direct hit to the chest and felt nothing from it. Someone must like me up there.

I fired at everything that moved...until eventually nothing did. After a few minutes of stillness Hill, Hoffman, Schmitz and myself advanced. We were not specifically ordered...we were the only 4 left. We swept the radar room...and from above two shots rang out. Zikos and Hoffman both fell. Schmitz then knelt and took out the last sectoid up the stairway with an amazing shot in the circumstances.

The base was saved...but 14 of our 16 troop garrison were killed. Once we had confirmed the base was secure, I retreated to my room and burst into tears.

Less than five minutes later, as I was still sobbing, I got called over the intercom to report to base command. It took me fifteen minutes to compose myself before complying.

The base commander shook me by the hand and promoted me to sergeant on the spot. I didn't care.

I'm not sure I'll ever care about anything again.

Freddi

Diary of XCOM Commander Keld Maj, 13th August 1999

Our plasma hovertank is my new favourite toy.

So imagine how utterly narked off I was when we lost it to a damn floater yesterday...in a routine small UFO crash site.

Yeah...you're right. That's exactly how bloody angry I was. Furious to the power of disgusted.

So I was in a pretty belligerent mood when base command called me into a meeting, asking me if I felt the time was right to deal with that alien base we know is sat there in Finland.

My answer: "Damn straight we're taking it out. Consider it destroyed."

Commander Maj

Diary of XCOM Commander Keld Maj, 18th August 1999

It was the worst mission I have ever been part of, let alone commanded. I am humbled.

The kindest thing I can say is: at least we were successful. The base is destroyed.

8 of my guys laid their lives down. We took a full 14 on the mission, no tank. So over 50% losses. Due to my orders.

Captain Danielsen, doing exactly what I commanded, immediately, obediently, diligently. Dead.

Morin, Hedlund, Mariam, Matene, Nowcika, Ukita, Novikov. Dead.

We landed and split into two assault teams, Vengeance and Fury. Fury breached the North West lift chamber, myself with Vengeance breached the central lift.

Straight away, mind control attempts. The scum repeatedly failed with it, but there was panic. Both teams tried to secure their lift base, both failed. In the end, my squad used blaster bombs to clear it somewhat, but our hold was tenuous. Mariam and Hedlund both gave themselves to the cause here.

Captain Fujita could see it was going badly, and she took personal responsibility. She went down, and took out two Sectoids single-handed. And then...the Cyberdisc.

It hit her, and we hear her cry out over the radio. But she's such a trooper, it'll take more than a Cyberdisc to take Mariko Fujita out. She returns fire and takes that metal monstrosity out. Then..."MEDIC!" comes over the radio.

Ukita didn't hesitate, straight down the lift and running to her captain. She patched Fujita up.

I radioed to all "Considering mission abort. Opinions?"

In less than a second, Fujita is on the radio, gasping slightly. "No...fudging...way...sir". (She may not have used the word fudging...).

"<crackle>I'm pretty sure...this is...the command center sir...giant lift...in the middle of a chamber..let me go in sir."

I considered it for a second. "Send co-ords of lift".

She did.

I tapped them into the blaster launcher and fired down the entrance lift. The missile zipped its way around the walls and up the lift into the control center.

A boom. And multiple sectoid moans.

"Go go go Fujita".

And she went. She told us that, other than the dead sectoids and smoke, she saw lots of purple consoles, with large screens covered in green text and what looked very much like CCTV of the base. Without much ceremony, she fired her plasma multiple times into each of them.

Then, a noise, not dissimilar from our own Self-Destruct system began pulsing through the base. I made the call.

"I think that's self-destruct. Back to LZ now. Go go go".

As I was saying it, a Sectoid rounded the corner and shot Ukita, who had been covering Fujita's rear. I heard Fujita shriek "NOOO!" over the radio and then fire off three shots. She killed it, then raced back to the lift.

We had barely gotten to a safe height, certainly no more than 2,000 feet, when a huge flash of light enveloped SkyRanger 3, followed by a huge boom. The base obliterated itself beneath us.

I was filled in on the horror that occurred around the North lift, where Captain Danielsen and 3 other top guys bought it. It was all I could do to keep it together.

Back at base, 50 minutes later, Fujita was diagnosed with 4 broken ribs and a punctured lung. Doctors say she should make a full recovery in 6 - 8 weeks. I was so relieved. I of course nominated her for Colonel, and my recommendation was accepted.

Not a great mission. At least in terms of bases destroyed though, it is one-nil to XCOM.

Commander Maj

(OOC: First base assault and I take exactly 0 screenshots in the battle...man, I suck at this!)

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 20th August 1999

People of Earth,

The reports that have been circulating in the media are relatively accurate. Yesterday, XCOM base US-02 was attacked by the aliens for a second time in 10 days.

It is with pride that I can inform you that the garrison, despite being very inexperienced due to the massive turnover after the 9th August, successfully fought off the alien menace. It is with sadness though that I report that the two heroes of the 9th, Sergeant Frederica Rossi and Squaddie Michael Schmitz, along with 5 other brave soldiers, gave their lives for our cause.

I would like to affirm here my strong belief that these attacks are merely acts of desperation from a side that knows it is losing the battle. Our great success in Finland shows that to me clearly.

The war will be won, it is a matter of dedication and time. We have plenty of the former, and we will use it to buy ourselves the latter.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

Lab Report 1st September 1999

The first twenty days of August was spent mainly performing autopsies. I was reluctant, I do not see what we learn from them that we do not already get from the black box recordings. But the brass were adamant. I can barely even remember the reports we filed: I let Dr Janowski handle it, it was her kinda area back in her real life before the war.

After we finished the Sectoid, I insisted we interrogate the Navigator Maj and his lads brought back on the day he lost our first hover tank.

It turned out to be a master-stroke of an idea. According to that cowardly piece of filth (we didn't even have to mention the word "torture", we literally just sparked some electric wires together in front of it's face and it sung like Tweetie Pie), UFO's each send off a unique "Hyperwave" signature. Hyperwaves are between X Rays and Gamma Rays on the spectrum, and now we know what we're looking for, we can probably track them.

We are working on something very interesting now: a radar that should be able to pinpoint the exact location, type and mission parameters of every UFO that ever enters the atmosphere. If it works, no invention is going to do more to win this war.

KR

Official Statement from XCOM CEO Russell Lambert, CODENAME KickAssAndGiggle, 1st September 1999

Stakeholders,

Thank you for your appraisal of our efforts in August. I would agree with your assessment of "Excellent". The defeat of the alien base in Finland and two successful defences of US-02 should surely convince the aliens that they are losing this war, and badly.

I would simply re-iterate here my words of my last statement made on the 20th: the war will be won, it is a matter of dedication and time.

Regards,

Russell Lambert, CEO

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:55:15 pm by KickAssAndGiggle »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 07:31:16 am »
Well, at first I thought that this'll be a waste of time(peace), but having reading it, man, you do have great writing skills and storytelling and that just captivates the mind. But:

Why did you let the 25th annihilated?!?!?!!