aliens

Author Topic: Newbe questions  (Read 307365 times)

Offline zombieguy223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Newbe questions
« Reply #1005 on: April 24, 2023, 05:52:06 am »
Mansion Invasion
There is a warning about that in the !Mansion Invasions! topic that unlocks those missions about that mechanic, but I can understand forgetting that bit with how much stuff tends to be going on in XPiratez.
Quote from: !Mansion Invasions!
WARNING: the time to finish the mission will be limited, and who knows where our gear is gonna end up, so it's better not to take anything that isn't held in inventories.

Yep, it was abandoned somewhere in the mansion. That or you played with too much explosives near your stuff.

Too bad there isn't a button to send all the unequipped stuff to the base ...
I'm not sure if you're being serious, but there is a hotkey to do exactly that. In the craft equipment screen, specifically when you're on the individual soldier inventory screen, if you press the hotkey CTRL+ALT+X all items not currently equipped by a soldier will be removed from the craft. I would advise taking a look at the Hawtkeys topic in the Piratin Tips part of the Ufopedia if you haven't recently.

Offline Nalca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 24, 2023, 12:01:26 pm »
if you press the hotkey CTRL+ALT+X all items not currently equipped by a soldier will be removed from the craft.
I missed that one :P
Thanks.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 10, 2023, 01:39:28 am »
What doesit take to make the Voodoo Rod actually do anything?
I gave it to someone with elite voodoo stats (like 68 pow, 45 skill)
and on common civvie mobs it just goes wiff - wiff - wiff, even just trying to panic them, like spend several turns just trying to zonk one mob...and nothing

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 11, 2023, 06:40:52 pm »
68 pow and 45 skill is hardly elite.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 11, 2023, 08:30:51 pm »
Distance also matter. You can hold Alt to see "attack" percentages.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 11, 2023, 09:43:45 pm »
68 pow and 45 skill is hardly elite.

well then, voodoo school only brings it up to 40, then awards can add a few points more... that's the gal with the highest score across all the bases, so im not sure exactly how you can get it higher. Do Wands/Devices that work off of voodoo train it?

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 11, 2023, 10:59:02 pm »
Gals (Ubers) are generally bad voodooists. At least until you get VAMPY armor. Normal girls are better at that. Bugeyes (not all of them) are best voodooists except for some special units.

VooDoo Rod, VooDoo Great Staff and of course Master's Cane are generally bad voodoo weapons. Herder's Staff, however, is superb. You can get it from Demon God Shrines... eventually... with enough luck.

Civilians are not the best targets for voodoo. The best targets for voodoo are Demons, Megapol Animals and The Mercenaries.

Voodoo School is not the best way to train voodoo skills. Using Master's Cane 11 times (panic) is much faster way to train.

Voodoo School is not the best way to activate voodoo skills either. Weirdgal transformation is available much sooner then Voodoo Schools.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 11:07:13 pm by Vakrug »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 12, 2023, 10:45:17 am »
In perspective, 68/45 is about half as powerful as a trained 75/75 bugeye. Really, gals are good at being a lot of elite, but master mindshapers they are not.

Gals, however, make for EXCELLENT muscle mages, so you can maybe head that way with them, if you are Gray.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 10:47:30 am by Iazo »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 15, 2023, 04:52:12 am »
Voodoo School is not the best way to train voodoo skills. Using Master's Cane 11 times (panic) is much faster way to train.

Well... that sucks.
Ive never bothered to use master's cane before, and always had it on auto-sell except for the first one to research.

I didn't think it had anything other than Hex because NONE of the other options are listed in the bootypedia entry. I also don't think it should have anything other than Hex since its such a crappy entry level item from mobs. The fact it having panic or possession sounds like a bug or easter egg actually.

Offline cartman6x6

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 17, 2023, 11:26:36 pm »
i got a curiosy, in where i can see the bonus and objects give me un put the 1ยบ base per country?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 19, 2023, 08:56:09 pm »
rather silly question, but...
why do Gauss guns set people on fire, and why do they make a sizzle impact sound like dropping a piece of hot metal into snow?
It really makes it seem like its some kinda lava goop gun

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1016 on: May 19, 2023, 11:52:17 pm »
rather silly question, but...
why do Gauss guns set people on fire, and why do they make a sizzle impact sound like dropping a piece of hot metal into snow?
It really makes it seem like its some kinda lava goop gun

I assume it's because a gauss bullet actually becomes liquid metal due to friction as it travels through the air, so it actually is kind of a "lava goop" missile. Of course, the sounds here are purely symbolic rather than what you'd actually hear; an artistic license to accentuate the weapon's nature.
That's my hypothesis, I have no solid proof to support it with.

Offline Joe Ini

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 25, 2023, 01:00:37 pm »
Hi, I have a question.

April first year, there are swarm of helicopters, flying around tanking my infamy (to -1600 infamy).
Am I suppose to do something about it. My airbus doesn't have any guns. Do I need to rush some specific research to get one?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1018 on: May 25, 2023, 02:36:31 pm »
Hi, I have a question.

April first year, there are swarm of helicopters, flying around tanking my infamy (to -1600 infamy).
Am I suppose to do something about it. My airbus doesn't have any guns. Do I need to rush some specific research to get one?

There are ways to have early combat aircraft, most notably the Little Bird if you really focus on that (and neglect other stuff).

But if you don't have it (and you are unlikely to unless you really try), then just be stoic and take the penalty - it's not severe. These missions will come and go.

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 25, 2023, 08:13:34 pm »
Hi, I have a question.

try to get a necroplane fighter (BUCKAROO) from research. once you're out of the earlygame you can get a proper AIRCAR or possibly a PIRANHA speeder, but you're not going to be there yet this early.
the DAREDEVIL necrofighter from Iron Tribe and FAUST aircar from Contacts: Blackmarch is also available 'early' if the RNG works in your favor to discover those countries or if you started there.
any enemy shipping flying around and doing missions will cost you at least some score and the wrecks can be cleared out for more points, so make sure to be as aggressive as you can with your airgame.