Author Topic: Newbe questions  (Read 302240 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: Newbe questions
« Reply #840 on: September 20, 2018, 07:44:11 pm »
When, in which year.s, was OXCe written ?
It is being written as we speak.

( ..and why the dev.s didnt include support of any higher res, alrdy in that ~years.. ??

What do you mean by 'higher res'?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 20, 2018, 07:54:15 pm »
Maybe related to this post?
{
♣ recode ufo, /OXCE engine to avalaible &support higher res ~ at least 800x600 ++ , et above

Higher resolution is already supported and has been since OXC 1.0, the settings are available in Options>Video>Display Resolution, Geoscape Scale, and Battlescape Scale.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #842 on: September 20, 2018, 08:46:23 pm »
Higher resolution is already supported and has been since OXC 1.0, the settings are available in Options>Video>Display Resolution, Geoscape Scale, and Battlescape Scale.

..but those Settings amybe arent (probably -im myself not fully sure ;S ) arent wjhat I mean - I mean, /it, this whole game graphics level,res, thing is related with this response of Dioxine :

The oxc engine was written in a way that makes supporting higher res impossible.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:27:47 pm by LytaRyta »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #843 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:37 pm »

..so, all, whole that core-engine of UFO-XCOM (~1993) (/OXCE++ (~2008-'12  (???) )  cwould be rewritten, with possibility of fully implementing and adding, changing all those long-wanted, long-discussed ..changes, things, thus make whole refreshed, fully -rewrittend "old" UFO,  ( *OXCE ) in version, and niveau, of y2020

Ah, yeah, sure.

Any such endeavour must discard any notion of being an reimplementation of the vanilla, which OXC is by definition. It must be an entirely different code base from oxc/oxce. No possibity of a shared codebase, no upstreaming of patches/features. This is what I think stops most attempts. It damn well stopped my own attempts so far - once you get into reengineering the oxc engine, even if you keep compatability with most of the mods (and by dropping that you drop the community and what are you going to do without the community?), even if you keep it C++ (and there's exactly zero sense to do that the from technical POV) it is still is a mighty uphill battle for acceptance. Without which there is no point.

For myself, for now I stopped at
  • keeping 100% mod compatability. As in all current mods/tcs load and play more-or-less consistently
  • blowing up interface to 640x400 logical resolution
  • rewriting core in _compiled_language_of_choice_ (Rust) and logic in _interpreted_language_of_chouce (Python/PyPy)

And the last point is where it all falls apart. It's about 4-6 months work to an MVP, about $20-30K . No one has that kind of pocket money. (But if you do, please PM me :) )

Not to mention the acceptance of the new product. We have what, maybe 6 maybe 10 max people well versed in the oxce engine, able to modify it, etc. How much time it would take to get back to that on an entirely different engine, written in entirely different languages? My only answer as of now - too long to make any sense. Not to mention problems with general acceptance of the new thing, because, you know, it's not the old thing.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #844 on: September 20, 2018, 11:40:17 pm »
New thing? Yeah maybe in 50 years, when all possibilities of this one have been exhausted... I could easily make 4 or 5 mods as big as Piratez and each different (assuming I had unlimited time). And that's just me.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #845 on: September 21, 2018, 12:06:41 am »
@Dioxine there is that too. Limitis spur creativity, it's a well-known fact. Still,  OXCE and OXCE+ were created exactly to overcome some of the limits. Sometime the new thing will be born, new stuff will be done as you can see with the Lua intergation efforts going on right now. I'm only sad I don't have any time right now to write my own new thing as I see it. It's like maybe it'll catch up, maybe it won't but at least I've had my fun and maybe highlighted some ideas for some other new things.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #846 on: September 21, 2018, 01:00:48 am »
I can only agree. As for the paradox how the limits spur creativity yet need to be expanded... Finding out which limits can be crossed, and which limits shouldn't is the part of modding. If you cross wrong limits, the thing just comes apart, loses its heart and soul. Such limits should not be crossed.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 22, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »
How much do gals really loose to shakeup? Because it seems to be way more than 10%, a 140 stamina gal would loose a whopping 60.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #848 on: September 22, 2018, 03:25:52 pm »
10% on melee, throwing and firing, but she also cannot exceed her max starting stats, so they get cut off.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 22, 2018, 05:11:22 pm »
Ok, I must have missed that last part.

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 22, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »
How do you even do shakeups, and what are they good for?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 22, 2018, 08:44:22 pm »
You have to research shakeup ceremony and then you use it from the bottem left (drop down) menu in the hands screen. You'll see what you get there and I think it is generally worth it for new gals.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #852 on: September 22, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »
I absolute just cant understand, how this "shakeup ceremony can be worth in any slightest way for the gals - when they loss'ed WHOLE TENS, few 10s points of (almost) every their stats..

and what the gals getting for, gain during that Shakeup? ?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:37:17 pm by LytaRyta »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 22, 2018, 09:10:16 pm »
Because new gals don't loose anything, they just gain. Just, you know, try it. It is not like you have to press the button once you see what you will get.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #854 on: September 22, 2018, 09:40:28 pm »
Because new gals don't loose anything, they just gain. Just, you know, try it.

Oh, I didnt know this, sorry :0