aliens

Author Topic: Piratez Lore  (Read 14639 times)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Piratez Lore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 12:20:31 pm »
But bigger forces pulling the strings are very old and virtually indestructible, and they may well stand behind an organization from XCF and a similar (or even different) organization from Piratez...

I think  good explanation for the Well Wisher is  that they are X-Com remnant who retreated into another dimension using Cyberweb tech and now can’t physicaly come back, perhaps because they turned themselves into something not quite human anymore to survive there.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 01:32:31 am »
Honestly they look more like Incubators to me. There's something sinister about them, at best they have no understanding of how humans think, at worst they don't actually care.  Maybe love is the energy they syphon for reasons unknown.  If I understand the lore OK(fat chance there) they're likely mortal enemies of the Star Gods, but literally all we know about those enemies is that they exist and are sort of in a maybe cold war with the Gods of the Star Gods and that they're assumed to offer boons that undermine the authority of their enemies.  Only thing we really know of the Well Wisher is that it(they?) give gifts and are in love with Love or at least attention, and they've suggested that they manipulated the situation to get your crew where they start.

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 02:00:53 am »
Yeah, I find the Well Wisher really sinister once I first got a hold of Purple Flower's recipes. Those "sentient" golems (aka Magical Girls) arrive in their little ships with... among other things, recipes that I assume show you how to turn their fleshy parts into magical cake. I chuckled a little since it reminds me of that old Asian proverb of "a duck comes bearing green onions."

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 04:58:34 am »
Is it intentional that you can use a cloning center to farm magical cakes out of a magical girl?

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 07:59:58 am »
As far as I'm aware it's not a bug, you're basically just giving them enough resources to quickly regenerate, right?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 08:23:25 am »
still creepy cloned flesh cake.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 10:35:52 am »
Cyberweb from XCF were already transhuman cyborgs in late 90’s with access to Dimension X (where they could steal flesh golem technology), six centuries later they could be fairly inhuman.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 09:35:47 am »
Well I was thinking, if:

Snakeman + human = lamia
Sectoid + human = bugeye
Muton + human = brute

Then:

Chryssalid + human = uber? (chryssalids are fast strong and containhellerium in their bodies, unlike other aliens)

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 11:09:46 pm »
Well I was thinking, if:

Snakeman + human = lamia
Sectoid + human = bugeye
Muton + human = brute

Then:

Chryssalid + human = uber? (chryssalids are fast strong and containhellerium in their bodies, unlike other aliens)

I remember someone (maybe Dioxine) said something about mutons not being a species, but a form of "mutation" of their own, to make organism stronger, but stupider. Mercenaries and MegaPol Apemans as example.

Uber is "just" created by giving a human body ability to process h/ellerium. Academy experiments and stuff. Ubers are just "better" humans, faster, stronger, better psi/voodoo potential, smarter, thougher etc.
Chryssalid looks too diffrent from humans, or Ubers to make it possible and "belivelable".

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 02:54:04 am »
If mutons are just mutants, then what are those big green-suited "aliens" we were fighting this whole time back in vanilla X-Com?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 03:28:24 am »
No, ubers are not artificially bred. They are simply humans (or mutants, there is no difference really) who over hundreds of years adapted to metabolizing hellerium.
Remember, ubers normally live in the Zones, which are whole ecosystems operating on hellerium (due to its local abundance). We have uber wheat, uber potatoes, uber apples, uber people.... And also many more uber life forms which are not directly shown in the game (like gigantic monsters, gigantic trees, mosquitoes the size of pigeons, etc.). These changes occurred simultaneously in many separate places, so we can assume that this is what happens naturally when you have a biosphere existing over depleted hellerium deposits. Humans are no exception.
If you really want to look for possible proto-ubers, then the Luchadores from The X-Com Files are a potential candidate (we've briefly discussed it with Dioxine once). They are a subculture/sect of people who eat zombie flesh and can somewhat metabolize its high energy content, though it's not a pretty process and tends to make them cuckoo (though they certainly weren't very sane in the first place, they eat zombies).

As for the mutons, it seems that indeed it is a medical procedure rather than a species. However, the original mutons from 1999 must have been something before, probably. Sometimes I wonder semi-seriously if they aren't the same species as the Floaters...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 06:13:53 am »
Same species is an interesting thought if somewhat unlikely due to the deferring facial/head structure in some artwork. Floaters have various cranial protrusions, mutons do not.

But from the standpoint creating specialized troop species for heavy(muton) and skirmish(floater) work is not unreasonable.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 06:32:43 am »
Chryssalid + human = Chryssalid + Chryssalid + dead human. Mating with them is lethal - a few minutes later a fresh one pops out of your body.
As others have said, Ubers are more-or-less random mutations.

If you really want to look for possible proto-ubers, then the Luchadores from The X-Com Files are a potential candidate (we've briefly discussed it with Dioxine once). They are a subculture/sect of people who eat zombie flesh and can somewhat metabolize its high energy content, though it's not a pretty process and tends to make them cuckoo (though they certainly weren't very sane in the first place, they eat zombies).
Sounds like that's where the Cannies came from.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 10:35:04 am »
Chryssalids can ultilise hellerium and they are obviously highly compatible with terrestrial life it makes sense to base the hellerium utilising biochemical aparatus one develops for terrestrial life on them. It just seem impossible that mammals could develop it via spontaneous mutation in such short time, so I assumed there was soem sort of alien engineered retrovirus or other kind of biotechnological sorcery at the start.

As for original mutons, they might be very closely relaetd or even the same species as ethereals.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 10:55:41 am »
Sounds like that's where the Cannies came from.

Good point; cannies are sort-of-ubers after all.

Chryssalids can ultilise hellerium and they are obviously highly compatible with terrestrial life it makes sense to base the hellerium utilising biochemical aparatus one develops for terrestrial life on them. It just seem impossible that mammals could develop it via spontaneous mutation in such short time, so I assumed there was soem sort of alien engineered retrovirus or other kind of biotechnological sorcery at the start.

Chryssalids are artificially made, though they are somehow related to the space zombie plague which seems to be natural.

As for the uber mutation being bioengineered: since it is such a broad effect, it can always be theorized to be by design, but I think it's going too far in speculation.

As for original mutons, they might be very closely relaetd or even the same species as ethereals.

It actually makes more sense than the Floaters, considering their special relationship with the Ethereals. (Tau, anyone?)