aliens

Author Topic: Piratez Lore  (Read 14315 times)

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Piratez Lore
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:45:02 pm »
So, about a day ago, I was pondering over why the Osiron Security is so passive until someone who is not Osiron "spots" for them. Then the idea hit me after reading some of the lore Dioxine created.

Imagine you're a male soldier working for the Academy, you've most likely been brainwashed into obedience by local Espers and forced to watch Holovids of old-world training exercises, never really getting into as many real combat situations like some of the other factions. You're at the beck and call of a parasitic matriarchal faction who demands total subservience and likely "experiments" on you whenever you do something they find unsatisfactory. It's no wonder why the Osirons seem so hesitant to take action into their own hands while other Academy staff/drones are present; they're totally reliant on the commands of their superiors.

I've noticed while playing that after all of the "spotters" are killed, the Osiron Security AI changes and they begin to attack on their own. Pretty neat!

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Piratez Lore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »
I think you interpret too much into it.

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:19:36 pm »
I write stories as a hobby, so whenever I see things like this I get this need to develop and flesh out lore.  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 07:02:24 pm »
 It's great that you do, and I hope to see a lot more from you! But Im afraid this one is contrary to the existing lore. You have painted Osiron as a slave force to the Academy, but in fact they have a mutual agreement. Yes, the Osiron goes where the Academicians go, but they are more like permanently hired bodyguards. No, actually it is more akin to marriage (of the organisations of course, not of individual members). A very long term contract.
So if Academicians tell Osiron men to, say, guard an installation, then they will, because it is part of their eternal agreement. But if an Academician tried to mistreat them, they would lash back as a monolith. It's an ancient order of macho warriors after all, with decent understanding of honour and duty. The Academicians may have Espers, but Osiron has guns, lots of them. And both sides understand their relationship very well.

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:21:15 pm »
It's great that you do, and I hope to see a lot more from you! But Im afraid this one is contrary to the existing lore. You have painted Osiron as a slave force to the Academy, but in fact they have a mutual agreement. Yes, the Osiron goes where the Academicians go, but they are more like permanently hired bodyguards. No, actually it is more akin to marriage (of the organisations of course, not of individual members). A very long term contract.
So if Academicians tell Osiron men to, say, guard an installation, then they will, because it is part of their eternal agreement. But if an Academician tried to mistreat them, they would lash back as a monolith. It's an ancient order of macho warriors after all, with decent understanding of honour and duty. The Academicians may have Espers, but Osiron has guns, lots of them. And both sides understand their relationship very well.

Oh, thanks for the clarifications, Solarius! Come to think of it, I totally forgot about the ancient log for the Osirons, and I wasn't sure if the Piratez Osirons would have the same beginnings as X-Com Apocalypse Osirons. The ones from X-Com Apocalypse were definitely hard core gangsters that meant business. Do the Osirons from your X-Com Files mod have the same beginnings/lore as well? I have not gotten too far into X-Com Files yet.  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »
The Osiron from X-Com: Apocalypseis only an inspiration - after all, that timeline never happened in Piratez. But the one from Piratez and the X-Com Files are indeed the same organization - as much as you can say it about an organization 600 years apart. Osiron in XCF are simply crooks dealing in exotic tech, mostly just a breather (maybe except That One Mission), but you can never fully defeat them since they don't have real command structures. In Piratez, they are one of the most powerful organizations in the world (even if you discount the Academy), specialized in medium-tech military but also retaining much of its Triad spirit.

The early Osiron was never properly curbed and somehow managed to become the top dog in Earth alien-related crime. The rest is written in the Ancient Log ACO6-B5 - I could paste it here, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 08:08:59 pm »
Thanks a ton for the info, Solarius, I still have quite a bit to learn I see. I enjoy the fact that huge mods like Piratez and X-Com Files develop their stories and aren't just shooting recolored Sectoids with retextured plasma guns, they have so much more going for them. I've only gotten a few of the ancient logs throughout my playthroughs, since I'm mostly focused on getting useful tech first before the factions come and stomp my ass (because I'm a masochist who only plays on Superhuman/Jack Sparrow difficulty in ironman mode).  :P

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 11:17:20 pm »
I write stories as a hobby, so whenever I see things like this I get this need to develop and flesh out lore.  :)

Oh, I just meant the AI. I don't think there is a Osiron AI, and Osiron shoots me with Academyans on site or not.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 12:07:50 am »
I think you interpret too much into it.

Shame on you for saying that. I am delighted by Serpentium building stories inspired by my stories. It's the highest praise.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 01:04:21 am »
Shame on you for saying that. I am delighted by Serpentium building stories inspired by my stories. It's the highest praise.

Rience Wind was referring to AI mechanics, not lorebuilding. But you are excused, since literally everyone misunderstood this. :)

Offline Blood Raven 117

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 07:11:59 am »

I'll get around to making that novel someday.... when I have more time.... and am not writing something else.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 08:10:07 am »
So, if both X-Com files and Puratez are same econtinuity, does it also mean that:

Hybrids --> Mutant Alliance
Church of Dagon --> Church of Sirius (just changing one master for another)
Syndicate --> Humanists
Black Lotus witches --> Academy

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 11:54:53 am »
So, if both X-Com files and Puratez are same econtinuity, does it also mean that:

Hybrids --> Mutant Alliance
Church of Dagon --> Church of Sirius (just changing one master for another)
Syndicate --> Humanists
Black Lotus witches --> Academy

It's not that simple, but not wrong either. 600 years of history is a long period of time, and many organizations in X-Com Files are temporary. But bigger forces pulling the strings are very old and virtually indestructible, and they may well stand behind an organization from XCF and a similar (or even different) organization from Piratez...

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 06:39:35 am »
I'm pretty sure the Church of Dagon got either eaten by the aquatoids or turned into war machines.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:02:06 am »
I'm pretty sure the Church of Dagon got either eaten by the aquatoids or turned into war machines.

At least they got to live in T'Leth as promised... ;)