aliens

Author Topic: Transifex: Piratez translations  (Read 89580 times)

Offline Peteruta

• Sergeant
  • Riesige gepanzerte Raumschiffe
    • View Profile
Re: Transifex: Piratez translations
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 05:09:08 pm »
Thanks Solarius. Yes. I dont know how to integrate the language files in the game.... What other translators think i dont know. Maybe SupSuper can handle it. I Translate this game because i love it. i send you my file if you explain me how... And please explain me how you do this because i feel like an idiot because i cant manage this..........   And i have to tell that i have to reload this side to answer you

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 05:32:47 pm »
Thanks Solarius. Yes. I dont know how to integrate the language files in the game.... What other translators think i dont know. Maybe SupSuper can handle it. I Translate this game because i love it. i send you my file if you explain me how... And please explain me how you do this because i feel like an idiot because i cant manage this..........   And i have to tell that i have to reload this side to answer you

As I said: send me the file, or attach it here, and I will convert it for you.
I have no idea what you need SupSuper for, since neither him nor I know German nearly well enough to judge the translation. And even if we were, we wouldn't really have the right to do this... It's between you guys.

Ashert, what do you think of the solution I suggested before?

Offline Peteruta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 05:47:27 pm »
Sorry. Oki. How i can send you my file...????....Hihi

--- posts merged. Again. I dare you to keep at it :P ---

Sorry...Iam bissy.... I send you all tomorrow....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:42:42 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 09:27:25 pm »
As I said: send me the file, or attach it here, and I will convert it for you.
I have no idea what you need SupSuper for, since neither him nor I know German nearly well enough to judge the translation. And even if we were, we wouldn't really have the right to do this... It's between you guys.

Ashert, what do you think of the solution I suggested before?

Yes, please do that, if the file is really more than twice the size of the current one. The current Trasifex version is just 7.95% translated. But we probably have much less work, after Peteruta 90 % Translation. I hope the .rul > .yml conversion does not cause synchronization problems. :)

Hi there. My German Translation from XPiratez is to 90% ready. But now with the new upgrade a fistfull of Ammunition i cant use notepad++ with te compare app.... Bevore there was .rul files. Now i have the problem that the new language are .yml files... Compare doesnt work.... Iam not an hacker... Maybe someone can help me... Thanks

Click here on "Attachments and other options" and upload the file. We can then finish the rest together, on Transifex! Can you tell me how you translated "Hands", "Brainer" and "Runts"? Currently there are "Handlanger", "Denker" and "Wichte", you can also answer here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6306.0.html :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:42:54 pm by Ashert »

Offline Peteruta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 10:06:47 pm »
Hi there. I contacted an friend of mine who explain me how i can copy the translation in the new stuff... Give me one month. I translate xpiratez now since over an year.....
I called them "Piraten", "Hirnies" und Techniker.....
Be sure i send you all the file when iam ready..... Best game ever ;D
Sorry that i dont communicat so much... But be sure i send soon the German Translation file.
Thanks to all the guys how realized this game.... I spend month in this game...
Later...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 10:46:52 pm »
@Ashert:
Schwarzmark *is* very rightwing, militaristic-defensive-nationalist. While Eurosyndicate is a soul-less, glamorous technocracy/oligarchy. If you insist on renaming these countries more to your personal liking, I will nuke these changes anyway. Let's not fight over this. If you want to make a more bright version of Piratez, you're more than welcome, but not as "Dioxine's Piratez".

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 02:08:20 am »
@Ashert:
Schwarzmark *is* very rightwing, militaristic-defensive-nationalist. While Eurosyndicate is a soul-less, glamorous technocracy/oligarchy. If you insist on renaming these countries more to your personal liking, I will nuke these changes anyway. Let's not fight over this. If you want to make a more bright version of Piratez, you're more than welcome, but not as "Dioxine's Piratez".

Unfortunately you did not really understand me, my version was darker, not brighter. The 'Gesell'schen Aktivisten' are ultras against any peace movement. See also String 6268 Description re-translate. The difference was only they are grassroots democrats without leaders. Only Black March something, sounded more like a sect.

By the way, it was funny that someone called 'Capt'n Kidd' in 'Störtebecker', but as identification for the easiest difficulty level I added 'Junior' behind it.
You should consider more the English version as Dioxine original. Probably also, the Polish or Russian version has its own heroes. Or just Anne Bonny instead of Jack Sparrow! You also not really want to know what the Japanese write, with Kaguya the lunar
princess. I was mostly loyal! ::)

I hope Peteruta's version works, primarily we only want a complete translation. Who is Dioxine? ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 05:29:27 am »
Unfortunately you did not really understand me, my version was darker, not brighter. The 'Gesell'schen Aktivisten' are ultras against any peace movement. See also String 6268 Description re-translate. The difference was only they are grassroots democrats without leaders. Only Black March something, sounded more like a sect.

Let me get it straight... How deeply do you intend to change my writings? Because changing names into localized equivalents is definitely not the same as modifying lore. Blackmarch isn't against peace at all, quite the opposite. Also how comes that March sounds like a sect? It's a feudal term for a territorial unit, ruled by a Margrabe.

Offline Ashert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 07:55:22 am »
Let me get it straight... How deeply do you intend to change my writings? Because changing names into localized equivalents is definitely not the same as modifying lore. Blackmarch isn't against peace at all, quite the opposite. Also how comes that March sounds like a sect? It's a feudal term for a territorial unit, ruled by a Margrabe.

Not deep, i can also undo any change in minutes, that was just my artistic freedom. I have stopped any work and also informed other Transifex translators, we are waiting for the final work of Peteruta. We want to take these as the new standard, not my little fantasies.
But unfortunately now he says he needs a month more and we have no preview.

However, usually a Margrabe is similar to a governor today, a subordinate in a larger kingdom. It remains a little logic problem. In the history under Charlemagne, there were about three dozen margraviate. The whole thing then called itself Holy Roman Empire, not Black March.

In Addition, this here was the minor problem, but wrong associations are inclusive, because Black March means here, the growing power of the SS (marching men in black):

That can also place in a dystrophic future, why not. That wasn't my problem or interest. But possibly some player has problems with that.

I am also not responsible for removing the "Bitter Coast" for Cuba, in the Spanish translation. This was probably caused by a Cuban veteran of the Bay of Pigs. ::)
I would develop the game, not monitor all translators.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:47:42 am by Ashert »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 10:00:40 am »
Peretuta, wouldn't it be better to send in the translation asit is now and continue with it later? I am not presuming to tell you how to do your job, but it would seem to be more effective, since nobody is going to do any work before your translations are published. Of course you would be able to edit your translations later all the same.
It's up to you though; if you think your current translation is unusable, then by all means do what you think is best.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 02:07:16 pm »
That can also place in a dystrophic future, why not. That wasn't my problem or interest. But possibly some player has problems with that.

I am also not responsible for removing the "Bitter Coast" for Cuba, in the Spanish translation. This was probably caused by a Cuban veteran of the Bay of Pigs. ::)
I would develop the game, not monitor all translators.

I certainly hope some player has a problem with that.
Also, I certainly didn't want to monitor all translations, since I expected a modicum of respect, not some freaking free-for-all, no holds barred. At least you brought it to my attention, thanks for that.
As for telling me what to do - you would develop the game, eh? And I would be the queen of Egypt if I could. We're both on the same boat it seems.

As for Peretuta, his/her behaviour is unacceptable in this model; neither he/she seems to prefer the traditional model, since I was never contacted personally (the first translation, Czech, was done in the traditional model, and it's really good).

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 03:03:52 pm »
I really don't get why you want to change the names at all. Leave them in English or make a direct translation, everything else just leads to new problems. So what if a march was a lower form of gouvernmental organisation in the age of Charlemagne? This is almost 2000 years later and language and the meaning of words change a lot with the passage of time. So what if a little known book by an SS guy has the same name? The German version of both would be different anyway, because he most certainly refers to march as in marching.

A pretty well know example of how stupid this can get is the newer German tranlation of A Song of Ice and Fire (no idea if the tv show uses the names, I only watched the first season and that was in English). King's Landing it now Königsmund (King's Mouth). I have no idea what that might refer to (it's been a while since I read the books, in English as well but I looked at the translation), while the original refers to the place where Targayens made landfall in Westeros, iirc.

And by changing names a lot the same crime is committed here. Without even knowing why something is called what it is there is no good reason to rename it.
Even in German we only translate some names, and those are mostly places where we've been using some germanized version of it for a long time. (Adjusted for pronounciation of course). No one would say Ayers Felsen to Ayers Rock and it is New York in German as well and not Neu York. Stratford upon Avon not Straßenfurt über den Avon.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 04:54:28 pm »
There is something to be said for not hampering immersion. Leaving to many words untranslated damages the flow of reading, and depending on the languages involved would cause more harm then good.

Literal is better then nothing most times, and honestly the game as is being full of intentional damaged language fluff, having it come off as a bad sub wouldn't be that much of a disservice.

And some allowances should be made for cultural issues. Germans and things nazi related is gona be tense, and deserves some caution. No sense adding extra offense where none was intended.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2018, 07:56:30 pm »
It seems the book was never translated into German (the original printing being in French) and the last publishing date was in 1967. So I doubt many people know of it.
Its German title would probably be "Der Schwarze Marsch", which is pretty different from "Schwarzmark".
If that is offending we need to stop using words like "Schutz" (protection) as well, because that is one half of SS.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2018, 09:30:37 pm »
Personally I'm not overly fond of PC language, just pointing out that cultural issues deserve due consideration from a translator.

Every cultural/language group has things they squick or outrage at that seem pointless to the outsider. It falls to a translator to find the compromise between preserving the originals intent and content and the translations culture's weirdness.