26 (16%)
Grey
68 (42%)
Gold
21 (13%)
None - they are all equal.
18 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Codex Popularity Poll  (Read 108246 times)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Popularity Poll
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2019, 05:22:14 pm »
Gold codex needs a themeas currently it feels kinda aimless. Red dominates in direct attack, gray in MC, green in survivability, while gold just gives you a hodgepodge of stuff from other codices and a few gimmick items.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2019, 10:16:31 pm »
I kinda agree. Every other codex seem rather well defined toward a certain theme, but gold just kinda feels odd. I get the whole excess theme, which works well with El Fuego (powerful but expensive main weapon), the officer's outfit works well, but the rest just seems kinda thrown into gold because there was no other place to put them. Which is why I support giving gold something to enhance slave soldiers. It would easily set gold apart from all others and and support a particular style of gameplay, which is what I understand the codexes are meant to do, IE givea choice with short and long term effects on how they play the campaign.

Which is also the reason why I support giving the chinese dragon to the red codex. Dioxine seems to want codex choices to be really impactful, which is something I'm totally for.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2019, 11:48:40 pm »
Well, the Red Codex was seriously an underdog before... Now after some improvements, Gold seems to be taking its place. Well, one of them must be last after all. :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2019, 11:18:23 am »
But seriously, try reading those entries from a first time player perspective.  They very specifically go over the immediate bonuses, and yes, they do sound EXACTLY like just 'some early game fuckery.'

Maybe to you.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2019, 11:47:01 am »
I honestly don't understand this "controversy".
If you have played the game before, you already know how it works.
If you are playing for the first time, what difference does it make? You don't know the tech tree anyway.
End of story.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2019, 01:18:02 pm »
Gold codex needs a themeas currently it feels kinda aimless. Red dominates in direct attack, gray in MC, green in survivability, while gold just gives you a hodgepodge of stuff from other codices and a few gimmick items.

If I remember correctly, the Gold Codex supplies you with some gold bars? Such early money can go a long way. E.g., you could invest in nice farms early on.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2019, 05:44:46 pm »
Early money boost is ok, but it really looses significance once you get your alcohol production going. Also farms aren't profitable enough to justify the space necessary, I pretty much only ever used them to get loads of sectoweed.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2019, 06:36:43 pm »
It's not even all that early really, I've always viewed the drill/codex ship as the start of my mid game, and normally cash mostly stops being an issue by that time.  I guess you could rush doing the drill by building extractors or something but that seems kind of silly to me.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2019, 07:53:05 pm »
Well you can't buy a shadowtech vessel before you get a random interrogation, so i see no reason to rush it aswell. Hoes are the easiest to exhaust in interrogation(hehe) but you need to get lucky with missions.
IMO the ships you get is the biggest decision. The initial loot is nice, but loses relevance quickly. I'm currently red and i lost all the free chainmails in a month or two. Other stuff is mid-to-lategame and every codex has something good in it.
Shadowtech crafts stay relevant for a while, shadowbat and turtle are great dropships, some are useful as an interceptor. And menace is relevant until the late game. Green is kinda weak though.

Offline Toothless Shark

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2019, 04:26:50 am »
Bonaventura is great dropship.
However, after getting it i have yet to find any useful green codex stuff that made it worth it. Currently green codex looks even weaker then gold one to me. Maybe i'm missing something here but most useful mid/late game gear seems to orbit around grey and red codex. Red has tons of gear and weapons you can get while grey has really great voodoo trappings with good all around ships. Green, for example gets Scarab as attack ship but its both slow and takes FOREVER to repair which is a big problem until you get other ships to complement at which point you may replace it anyway. Having one slow ship that can be used only once in a while and takes up hangar/upkeep is just not worth it. I found that such long repair time was very crippling in my game. Getting shield for it is viable but you end up with even less firepower and it takes a lot of research to get to it. Green codex choices, at the moment, make me feel like i made a wrong codex choice. Not different, just wrong choice.

Btw. i saw ppl mentioning that green is supposed to excel at healing and health stuff. Will someone point me to exact tech/item/anything that supports that claim? I have yet to get anything from green codex that actually does that and i'm in the late game right now.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2019, 01:24:25 pm »
Green gets the savior armor, IIRC, which has the best healing in the game, and I think it can fly, also. It also gets biosuits, arguably the best tanking armor in the game, and the pestulator suit, which has a special attack and is also tanky.
I think green also gets you tamed cyclopses? Cyclopses are great auxiliares since they can strip armor, boost morale and tank rockets with their face, actualy getting them can be really annoying though.

Green has pretty good immediate benefits tho, 3 extra (escaped lunatics?) gals make up for a pretty good early boost.

EDIT: I do agree that there's a large gap in general usefulness between the vessels you get with each codex, though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:41:29 pm by Dakkdakk »

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2019, 02:47:13 pm »
Chinese Dragon forever  8)
RED.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2019, 06:45:18 pm »
Chinese Dragon is absurdly priced and evaporates the loot. Usefull to take on the siberian base early when conventional weaponry you have would just not do and perhaps mass disposal of Star God’s servitors that can take a baby nuke to the face and live to tell ther tale but nothing else.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2019, 10:26:58 pm »
It's called fun!

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:58 pm »
It is I win button, it is not fun by deffinition.