26 (16%)
Grey
68 (42%)
Gold
21 (13%)
None - they are all equal.
18 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Codex Popularity Poll  (Read 109709 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: Codex Popularity Poll
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2018, 01:03:47 am »
Do you mean to say that potentially they're all equal in strength?
Makes sense.

That is as it should be.

But I meant that I once literally forgot to research a codex. It may be harder to do that in versions since.
Still, an option to finish the game the hard way on top of JS/SM would be nice. Don't know if it exists/being planned right now.

EDIT:
And, Dioxine, please don't take this wrong. I'm very grateful for all the content and strategies opened by any of the codexes.
It's that grumpy rain-soaked philosophers in fey mood like me just can't find enough odds to beat our heads upon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:12:07 am by Stoddard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2018, 10:50:51 am »
If there are no bugs in the way, it should be currently possible to finish the game without any Codex. You gotta use the Zubrin to get to Mars, though, since Conqueror is dependant on Codex stuff.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:35 am »
Stoddard, I have added the "all are equal" option, it should be available.
But if you're not into Codexes at all, why would you even want to vote? I know next to nothing about Pokemon, so why would I participate in a poll to select the strongest Pokemon? :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:48 pm »
It's that grumpy rain-soaked philosophers in fey mood like me just can't find enough odds to beat our heads upon.

I just remembered something. For a challenge, try not using Ubers at all, that's why you were given Peasants and other soldier types.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2018, 03:47:45 pm »
Not a chance! I don't even use the peasants because I can't get anyone to exercise their stats unless they hit someone in combat . . . and I was trying to use peasants as medics. Low strength and low TU peasants are practically useless carrying around bandages/first-aid kits, plus a grog barrel.

Offline Marduk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2018, 02:07:00 pm »
I think this poll lacks the option of none.
2 gals would be dangerous on some of the space missions, but in my 2 gold runs i was remember getting a pachyderm or kraken around the time i opened up space missions.

I think one weakness gold has is lack of uniques. Sure, the admiral armor and lash are nice and you get them early, but you only have one set, and they aren't as powerful as many of the manufacturable uniques. There is nothing like the whole set of weapons and armor red has, green has pestulator, cyclops and chronomancy, while gray has the sorceress. Dunno if the voodoo:excess is finished, it seems like it could use more stuff and that would add into gold which is the excess main codex.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2018, 10:26:18 am »
Isn’t golden codex the only one with fairy suit? That thing is nice, through not overwhelmingly so. Anyway, I wonder what would break if I modded the game to let me get all the codex stuff in one go.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2018, 06:42:42 pm »
Absolutely nothing. You edit your savegame for 4 tiny drills and voila. One time I did it and it gives a huge early game advantage to have all of them, but in late game it sorta balances, because you never have enough stuff (gems and demonic essence mostly) to manufacture all the specials and have to choose (un)wisely. That was before the addition of $$$ > tokens >>> gems mechanic though, so currently it'd be pretty overpowered in the end game as well. Imagine a sorc/fairy/pestulator team.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2018, 06:51:22 pm »
You probably need 4 hulls as well, don't you?

KZad Bhat

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 10:01:48 am »
Yes, you'd also need 4 hulls. And in order for the whole $$$>tokens>gems thing to be overpowered takes getting a hefty income, and I'm not sure if the mid-game method I'd used many versions back will even work now. Counterfeiting, at least then, could get you over 50m each month, but that was being able to put 400+ runts on it. I haven't gotten to that point of manufacture since that version. But, I've read that making tanks is even more profitable, and I never did get there.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2018, 12:29:15 am »
Isn’t golden codex the only one with fairy suit? That thing is nice, through not overwhelmingly so. Anyway, I wonder what would break if I modded the game to let me get all the codex stuff in one go.

Worst thing possible: you'll probably get bored and end up not using half the stuff anyway :) If I thougt otherwise, I wouldn't make such division. Although I might allow ALL CODEX PLAY some day... with some serious drawbacks as befits people who want it all :)

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2018, 10:58:02 pm »
A thought occurred to me - for an all codex possibility, the drawback could be blocking off the rewards from special questlines (GDX, Red Mage, White Dragon, Well-Wisher, etc.). Either each codex blocking off one questline altogether, or cutting some options from each of the questlines. So for example: gold blocks GDX prank, red blocks slavery, grey blocks hire, green blocks merchandise. In the end, if you choose all codices, you'd be left with 1-2 options, with all the most 'profitable' ones blocked off - for all questlines. In essence trading some powers/profits for others. Balancing that would be quite a nightmare though. :)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2018, 12:05:36 am »
an interesting suggestion. i kinda like it.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2018, 05:11:58 pm »
These paths/questlines are not to be influenced by codex choice.

Offline netron

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2018, 12:14:11 am »
What's GDX?