aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 696498 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.58)
« Reply #2115 on: November 21, 2023, 09:14:50 pm »
Hope we're gonna get more new stuff/content!

Hmmm...
Hey, guys. How about...
Oxygen consumption?
What do you think, shall i add this concept?

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: November 21, 2023, 09:28:52 pm »
And when oxygen runs out you die!
Yet another way to get squad wipe by failing to find last alien!

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: November 21, 2023, 09:42:36 pm »
After having played X-Com Files with its 'sanity loss' concept (1-4 per turn on some alien missions), it certainly encourages you to go out more and not camp around in your craft. You can actually 'cheeze' almost all TFTD missions if you want, and some of them really require using this tactic (e.g. most terror missions). Another consequence is that you may need to rotate your soldiers more as they recover from the loss (1-8 per day, depending on facilities). Some similar concept could indeed be interesting. But I fear it would very tricky to get balanced properly, given that many missions in TFTD are worse bughunts and the difficulty could become excessive.

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: November 21, 2023, 11:17:31 pm »
Hmmm...
Hey, guys. How about...
Oxygen consumption?

Hey, dreaming Is free! Ah would be nice to have a "xpiratez of tftd" in that sense.. ;D

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: November 22, 2023, 09:26:34 am »
An oxygen tank should last at least 20 minutes which is more than enough to take into consideration on most missions.
On the other hand, if you think along damaged rear armor = leakage, it can be realistic. Piratez does something like that with spacesuits IIRC.
Gameplay wize TFTD is hard enough for me though :)

Offline murkhach@centrum.cz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 22, 2023, 05:03:25 pm »
Hmmm...
Hey, guys. How about...
Oxygen consumption?
Well I already tested few my own features  (ONE DRIVE https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnX8IWydjlAckwFOZeFLgv58FhnI?e=G0HuGd  -all files of TWOTS including changed/added one )
  - added 1st map for NAGA city (original map is used as second level)
  - reworked  1st map Ancient dungeon  (fortification with trenches and lot of aliens)
  - added new types of ammunition for shard weapons (after appropriate research  - zrbite explosive and ultradense bolts)
  - added underwater desert mountain  (existing mod)  terrain
  - added some new type of USOS   ( much more greater  fun and variety even on  SH difficulty )
  - adding another ship  (YACHT) for pirate terror mission  (usually you encounter this mission several times)
     -- much smaller variant of passanger ship (30x45 instead  30x80 )   
     -- working MAP and RMP   (however RMP spawning should receive some tweaks)
     -- included it in global scripts (  chance is 50/50)
     -- could not quick resolve XCom-craft spawning  so  X-COM for now spawns as in 2nd stage mission without craft

Feel free to download   it  and try ..
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 10:16:02 pm by murkhach@centrum.cz »

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 22, 2023, 10:22:32 pm »
And when oxygen runs out you die!
Yet another way to get squad wipe by failing to find last alien!
Very true ..

Instead this "Bad luck highliter"  I suggest to create  fast mission that has crew limit to 8  (accesible only by seamaster or typhoon)
May be add variety for church mission  - hidden fortification in forrest (use tiles from  XCOM-1 or  mayan mod) with  mixed crew of church, carcharodron and tasoth

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 23, 2023, 09:58:50 am »
adding another ship
Oh, yes. Almost forgot to mention this. This mod (as well as the base game) really needs some improvements with ship terror missions. The significant part of X-COM success is due to randomly generated maps. And in TFTD we have only 2 static ships. Adding to the game more ship maps is actually not very good solution, because, no matter how many static maps are added to the game, they cannot compensate random generation. I don't know how hard it will be (if possible at all) to make alien spawns more random. Static maps by themselves are not particularly big problem. But aliens spawning at the same places over and over again definitely is a problem.

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 23, 2023, 11:14:59 am »
Oh, yes. Almost forgot to mention this. This mod (as well as the base game) really needs some improvements with ship terror missions. The significant part of X-COM success is due to randomly generated maps. And in TFTD we have only 2 static ships. Adding to the game more ship maps is actually not very good solution, because, no matter how many static maps are added to the game, they cannot compensate random generation. I don't know how hard it will be (if possible at all) to make alien spawns more random. Static maps by themselves are not particularly big problem. But aliens spawning at the same places over and over again definitely is a problem.
I think that aliens spawn randomly ...
  all is about setting nodes in RMP file  .. there is defined priority and rank  so if you create enough nodes for each rank with same priority,
  then the unit placement will be quite random  ...

You can try my map for 1st level of naga city thas has fixed skeleton with some block variety ...

The ships can be enhanced in the same way ..
   1) cut them in blocks  (cinema / pool / restaurant) , (engines), (cabins/storage/ restroom ), (landing zone) , (top deck)
   2) design several (2-4) ship types  [30x50,30x60,30x80] with height 2- 4 (6? - just for high control tower)
         for both categories (CARGO, LINER)
         that uses fixed blocks  [10 x 10, 10 x 20, 10 x 30]
   3) adjust mission generation  that smaller ships are used in the beginning and larger in later stages

The problem with random is  that ship is usually long and thin and you should keep meaningful layout of structures
    however I can imagine and create these 1level design  ships (inspired by reality) :
          - big cargo ship filled with containers with huge control tower and cabins on stern
          - carrier with control tower on side with huge open space inside with some elevators  (may try use typhoon graphics to create some jets )
          - fishing boat with whale  in huge space inside surrounded by bridges, elevators, cranes, and another huge frozen storage  space filled with canes and boxes
          - small ship with only two decks
          - huge ferry 
                - 0 engines,
                - 1,2 wast space with few creates (if only I have some map tiles with cars)
                - 3 restaurant
                - 4 few cabins   entertainment  and bridge
                - 5 small restaurant surrounded by open space

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: November 24, 2023, 10:20:04 am »
Looks like not much can be done by modders to randomize alien spawns...
But I have one particular example in mind. In X-COM files, when you assault cult's outpost or something similar, there are 2 possibilities: either most cultists are flocking inside a building, or most cultists are evenly spread out over entire map. I don't know how that was accomplished (may be there are 2 separate missions disguising as 1), but at least such level of variety would be appreciated.

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: November 24, 2023, 11:29:41 am »
Looks like not much can be done by modders to randomize alien spawns...
But I have one particular example in mind. In X-COM files, when you assault cult's outpost or something similar, there are 2 possibilities: either most cultists are flocking inside a building, or most cultists are evenly spread out over entire map. I don't know how that was accomplished (may be there are 2 separate missions disguising as 1), but at least such level of variety would be appreciated.
Hi according my experience the spawning can be slightly adjusted by node priorities 
  For each difficulty you can specify how many units will be spawned for each rank [min + randomadd ]  and the  unit spawning starts from highest ones
   So you spawn 10 units  you can
   a)  have 3 + 3 (inside/outside nodes ) with priority 10 (highest)   and 4 + 4 (with lower priority )
      However this will guarantee the first 3 + 3   be always assigned and placed initially on the same positions and 4+4  randomly distributed
   b)  put 5 high priority nodes inside (that will guarantee half units inside)  and  then create 10+ nodes  outside  and terrorist will be distributed randomly to these locations
      this scenario is more acceptable because terrorists inside will move randomly before you reach  them

Offline QuakeSlayer

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 25, 2023, 11:48:35 pm »
Hmmm...
Hey, guys. How about...
Oxygen consumption?

Hey Nord I heard about the new TFTD: Vanilla Plus mod from Daev would at some point incorporate it into your mod? It's new but it's started to have things like the Land USO missions, Civilian Weapons and New Facilities.

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 27, 2023, 07:39:56 am »
There appears to be a hole, probably a missing floor/ceiling tile, in this variant of battleship. In the screenshot, a shrimp drone in the ground floor below the red marker can see the gillman inside. Not sure whether this is a map bug in the original TFTD or TWoTS.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 28, 2023, 04:08:36 am »
Feature proposal:
- Recruit/brainwash aliens
- Tech to reduce build time
- Special mini ship pen for the small ships
- Remove limit for tanks/drones, just spaces

About to end mod (I think) already got sound cannons and a year as passed

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 28, 2023, 04:44:51 pm »
Not sure whether this is a map bug in the original TFTD or TWoTS.
This is from additional USO variants, still hunting them. Thanks, will fix.
Feature proposal:
- No, i dont want it. Maybe some terror units...
- impossible.
- impossible.
- will cause bugs.