Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 696157 times)

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.58)
« Reply #2100 on: November 12, 2023, 11:07:21 pm »
For me this mod is the best mod at the moment for tftd. Only miss "armed civilians" and fight in water and land like the hybrid.

Congratulations and thank you!

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: November 13, 2023, 11:19:28 pm »
Worm island obliterated me again...  :'(
Looks like this mod is too much for me...  :'( Hunter UFOs are nightmarish. They can be everywhere and often they are. How many crafts one supposed to loose to them?
Before I close this sad chapter of my life, I want to report about few things:
Many ufopedia articles about aliens were taken directly from the original game and in some cases are inaccurate. The Deep One is not electrical in this mod. It is acidic. Tasoths are not an example of courage. Most of them have pathetic 60 bravery which makes them the most cowardly among aliens.
Are there are really 12 alien activity sites? Also "stopping them at all cost" does not feel like -750 for aborting.
I heard rumors about next improved version of this mod. May be I will be more lucky when it will come out.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: November 13, 2023, 11:55:47 pm »
Worm island obliterated me again...  :'(

If you refer to the worm nesting area where new worms pop up in their craters.. you don't go there until you are shielded, and preferably with 3 displacers. It doesn't progress the game in any case. It usually takes about 30 turns of running around to get all the spawning craters eliminated. By which time your agents are likely getting stunned and may already start to die from overstunning. So it would be preferable to try to use the displacers for the most part and move the agents inside when their stun is getting too high. But as said, I think you can safely just skip this missions if you don't want to bother.

If you refer to a regular worms attack holiday resort mission (with all the civilians), you'll need to know how to approach it. When this first comes you likely won't have gauss drones yet. The key thing here is deploy the maximum number of scout drones and a few aquanauts. The aquanauts have a couple of preprimed stun or regular grenades which they throw out immediately at nearby enemies. The aquanauts stay in the sub and go unconcious there. Then the scout drones go collect the stunned or killed trophies. It is also possible for the scout drones to prime stun grenades, drop them on worms or locusts, and then pick them up. You'll need to be careful, because scout drones are easily killed. So keep flying and avoid the flying locusts. For the first time or two, that's likely all that you can do with this mission.

Looks like this mod is too much for me...  :'( Hunter UFOs are nightmarish. They can be everywhere and often they are. How many crafts one supposed to loose to them?

They are indeed painful. In my SH IM campaigns, I always accompany a transport with two barracudas or morays equipped with squall missiles (the only ones with sufficient range and speed to kill HKs fast enough). The pilot should always have good firing accuracy and bravery. You should also install the targeting improvement to ensure that most missiles hit the HKs. With this way, a normal HK can often kill one of the barracudas/morays, but not both (or at least not the transport).

Later in the game HKs with shields start to appear, and at a certain point, for example bases spawn exclusively shielded HKs. Squall missiles are inadequate against them. You'll really need the "fusion bomb" to deal with those. So you'll need to hope you get the right techs to progress the research fast enough (and not get too unlucky with shielded HKs before then).

The mod certainly requires an entirely different approach to protecting transports and dealing with HKs than any other mod I've played (not that many to be fair). I found it refreshing and compelling, once I learned a reasonably safe way to deal with them even with ironman.

I heard rumors about next improved version of this mod. May be I will be more lucky when it will come out.

Nord has been putting a lot more time on X-Chronicles lately. This mod has been in low maintenance mode for a while. So I wouldn't be holding my breath for significant updates to this mod (unless someone creates a fork).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 07:35:10 am by psavola »

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 14, 2023, 11:28:18 am »
If you refer to the worm nesting area where new worms pop up in their craters...
No, I am talking about regular worm island where non-flying worms are hiding in their holes (I don't thin they respawn there) and are very hard to be seen. This mission should be doable by having 1 scout drone equipped with laser pistol, but for reasons unknown it wasn't in the craft. May be I misclicked and brought the underwater one.

Nord has been putting a lot more time on X-Chronicles lately. This mod has been in low maintenance mode for a while. So I wouldn't be holding my breath for significant updates to this mod (unless someone creates a fork).
:-\ I can swear I saw a post from Nord in X-Chronicles with plans to remove from TWoTS "unimportant" stuff, but now I cannot find this post. Sense is leaving me again...

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: November 14, 2023, 01:39:50 pm »
No, I am talking about regular worm island where non-flying worms are hiding in their holes (I don't thin they respawn there) and are very hard to be seen. This mission should be doable by having 1 scout drone equipped with laser pistol, but for reasons unknown it wasn't in the craft. May be I misclicked and brought the underwater one.

I'm referring to the same thing. There is something strange (intentionally I think) in that mission. I think there is a worm in every hole, but you cannot see them even right on top of them all at once. You'll have to kill them off essentially one by one, and then find out in which hole the next worm appeared and is now visible. At least that has been my tactic. PITA mission as I said.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 14, 2023, 04:45:54 pm »
Patience, update is in progress. I have not enough free time, though. I need maybe two weeks, maybe three.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.58) SH playthrough
« Reply #2106 on: November 14, 2023, 10:20:02 pm »
- M.C. Focuser is too strong  (unlimited range and with  some M.C. implanted and then trained aquanauts you can kill easy anything but terrorists)
 - Leviathan has no practical usage  (you immediately  research Flaunder  and go for final mission)

To be fair, MC Focuser is a very end-game weapon (unless you get very lucky and have the opportunity to capture a stuck Oct in an artifact site mission). While it is very powerful, at that point of the game I'm not sure if it worth making an extra challenge. Without a good MC Focuser I suppose T'Leth (especially first level) could be more difficult. It certainly makes it much easier to deal with freaks and hellcrabs without taking too many risks. And if you're still missing the lobsterman commander, going to a base to get one would be more risky.

The usefulness of Leviathan depends a lot on whether the RNG gods have favoured you. You could very well be stumped with the abyssian dependencies, for example.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: November 19, 2023, 08:07:07 am »
For me this mod is the best mod at the moment for tftd. Only miss "armed civilians" and fight in water and land like the hybrid.

Congratulations and thank you!
I speak too soon. It got armed civilians and all the stuff I miss from other mods.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: November 19, 2023, 11:10:10 am »
A small cosmetic bug, Nord - an article in USOpaedia what poped up after researching live paladin guy present there before his integration. I don't know when exactly, may be after researching fanatic or disciple or may be both of them. Could you recheck please?

Offline ontherun

• Colonel
  • Lazy-ass captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: November 20, 2023, 12:36:30 am »
Patience, update is in progress. I have not enough free time, though. I need maybe two weeks, maybe three.

Hope we're gonna get more new stuff/content!

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: November 20, 2023, 08:50:43 pm »
Just for fun, I started another SH IM run. July just started, and I have seen one aquatoid terror mission (ship terror) where I was unable to capture the navigator (I think it died from overstun). I have not dared to check yet which artifact site mission I got. No sight of aquatoid missions and so medium subs, though at least gillmen have built 2-3 bases already. So still can't unlock gauss, which is making the following game quite a bit harder. In some other runs, I might have gotten lucky already in April or May.

Maybe the probabilities for aquatoid terror missions could be increased somewhat, so that your success is not so clearly at the mercy of RNG. For example, the chances for an aquatoid surface attack through months 3-7 is only 20 %, and in this mod obtaining a deep one corpse is not so crucial as in vanilla TFTD (you can get aqua plastics also from early-game xarquids).

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: November 20, 2023, 10:24:01 pm »
The fact that an Aquatoid Navigator can only be acquired at Terror missions is ridiculous if not horrible. Terror mission are literally the last place to look for a navigators. Navigators are supposed to be where alien navigations are -- in Usos! Is this mod is build around that a player already knows what and where to get in order to proceed?

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: November 21, 2023, 04:56:50 am »
The fact that an Aquatoid Navigator can only be acquired at Terror missions is ridiculous if not horrible. Terror mission are literally the last place to look for a navigators. Navigators are supposed to be where alien navigations are -- in Usos! Is this mod is build around that a player already knows what and where to get in order to proceed?
Perhaps bad luck? I found navigators in ships.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 21, 2023, 06:18:59 am »

They can be obtained, for example, from medium USOs as well. But that is heavily based on RNG as well. It is not all that likely that aquatoids launch missions in the areas covered by your radar(s) that lead to medium USOs all that soon. About 1/3 of time, I get the navigator from USO (the rest are divided between regular terror missions and the antarctic excavation mission, which is your best bet to get one if RNG gives you that mission). There typically are some such USO missions by this time, but they can be other races as well. And the tricky part of capturing one in USOs is that quite often there are hunter-killers present with medium subs, so you need to be very careful.

Also sharkmen have navigators, but capturing one a lot more painful than aquatoid, because the are much tougher. And if you chance to get a terror mission, they are accompanied by deadly biodrones (which at certain point is a welcome thing, so that you don't get locked out of sonic weapons manufacturing).

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 21, 2023, 11:52:47 am »
They can be obtained, for example, from medium USOs as well.
Good to know, thanks. I somehow missed them...