Author Topic: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.61)  (Read 677462 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] [Expansion] TWoTS+ Release (v.2.50)
« Reply #1800 on: October 20, 2021, 09:25:29 am »
I see streamers as giving the mod some attention. Those of us who lack the drive to play a mod we know nothing about can get a preview of it by watching someone else play. You also learn things from that person's playstyle, or have a good laugh at their struggles. You don't need to see the whole game in one stream or in one playthrough, in fact I much prefer games with a lot of replay value. In my mod I have deliberately hidden several things so that you probably won't find them all on your first time through. It helps keep it fresh if you come back for seconds.
How many people - so many opinions. And that is good. :)

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 14, 2021, 03:21:45 am »
Most of the surface weapons are there for fluff. I'm pretty sure the best surface weapon is the X-Rifle which you can get access to very quickly, maybe the Plasma Rifle but the aimed mode restriction really hinders it.
A bit too quickly, I think. When I retrieved and researched the AKM, I thought "great, now I don't have to suck on the surface anymore!" But researching that unlocked the option to research common weapon acquisition, which allowed me to purchase X-rifles. I never used AKMs in combat.

Oh, one weapon I would have liked to be able to purchase is the axe. Since it gets a power bonus equal to the user's strength, it really isn't bad at all. But then there doesn't seem to be a way to buy it. I tried adding a
    requiresBuy:
     - STR_AXE
string, but that didn't do anything. Ditto the explosive charge (described as C4 in the game, but named dynamite in the items file). And on that subject, both C4 and dynamite are used for demolition purposes, yet the description says it's not suited for that purpose.

And while I'm posting, I might also mention that the DP64 incendiary ammunition weighs three times as much as the HE ammunition. I took the liberty to affix the same value to both, ie. 2.

I critique because I love.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:24:21 am by Kissaki »

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 15, 2021, 09:38:53 am »
I've just built my first Cormorant, but it seems it can only be equipped with cannon. Fine, but there are no cannons available to purchase. Isn't the craft gas cannon supposed to be available from the beginning? Looking through the research file, I can find no reference to it at all.

The craft weapons file lists CRAFT_GAS_CANNON, but the research file does not. The only work-around I know how to do is to give the Cormorant the same weapons options as the Barracuda.
Edit: actually, that didn't work either, and I have no idea why.

It seems an oversight that I'm able to research a craft way before I'm able to research suitable weapons for it. And how was I to know that the craft I was researching couldn't mount the weapons I had stockpiled. As it is, since I couldn't possibly know ahead of time that the Cormorant was a tiny little drone, I have wasted about half a month's worth of research, not to mention the money that went into the project. Since the craft gas cannon is such a crappy weapon anyway, I see no reason why it shouldn't be unlocked together with the Cormorant.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:22:15 am by Kissaki »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 17, 2021, 07:45:13 pm »
Oh, one weapon I would have liked to be able to purchase is the axe. Since it gets a power bonus equal to the user's strength, it really isn't bad at all. But then there doesn't seem to be a way to buy it. I tried adding a
    requiresBuy:
     - STR_AXE
string, but that didn't do anything.
I'm not sure but I think that is the gimmick weapon made for ClosetYeti's TWoTS Let's Play series. He has a recurring character named Axe who does only melee and dies a lot. The axe was supposedly just a thermal tazer with a unique graphic and text.

If you want to make an item available for purchase, you have to set a non-zero costBuy. If there is anything listed under requiresBuy, then you will need to have completed research projects matching all string names in that list in order to be allowed to purchase the weapon.

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: November 18, 2021, 01:23:19 am »
I'm not sure but I think that is the gimmick weapon made for ClosetYeti's TWoTS Let's Play series. He has a recurring character named Axe who does only melee and dies a lot. The axe was supposedly just a thermal tazer with a unique graphic and text.

If you want to make an item available for purchase, you have to set a non-zero costBuy. If there is anything listed under requiresBuy, then you will need to have completed research projects matching all string names in that list in order to be allowed to purchase the weapon.
CostBuy - that's what was missing! The axe is a pretty pointless addition to the X-Com shop, I admit, but it makes me happy  :)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 18, 2021, 11:32:57 am »
I've just built my first Cormorant, but it seems it can only be equipped with cannon. Fine, but there are no cannons available to purchase. Isn't the craft gas cannon supposed to be available from the beginning? Looking through the research file, I can find no reference to it at all.

The craft weapons file lists CRAFT_GAS_CANNON, but the research file does not. The only work-around I know how to do is to give the Cormorant the same weapons options as the Barracuda.
Edit: actually, that didn't work either, and I have no idea why.

It seems an oversight that I'm able to research a craft way before I'm able to research suitable weapons for it. And how was I to know that the craft I was researching couldn't mount the weapons I had stockpiled. As it is, since I couldn't possibly know ahead of time that the Cormorant was a tiny little drone, I have wasted about half a month's worth of research, not to mention the money that went into the project. Since the craft gas cannon is such a crappy weapon anyway, I see no reason why it shouldn't be unlocked together with the Cormorant.

In my admittingly limited experience I found the Cormorants to actually perform better than the Barracudas against early game small USOs, mostly because they were dodgy enough to ignore enemy fire, so them needing to be nearly face-to-face to use their gas cannons is a non-issue for a while.

Once the medium USOs start to become common, though, you will need Barracudas to hold the line before getting their Aqua-Plastic cousin, the Moray.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:59:59 am by shinr »

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 18, 2021, 11:59:37 am »
Ok, another one:

The vibro weapons - I can research them, but cannot manufacture or buy them. In the manufacture file these weapons are marked for deletion from the vanilla ruleset, but no information is added to replace the vanilla. Removing the delete references did not work. How does one get to acquire the vibro blade, thermic lance and heavy thermic lance?

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:28 pm »
Ok, another one:

The vibro weapons - I can research them, but cannot manufacture or buy them. In the manufacture file these weapons are marked for deletion from the vanilla ruleset, but no information is added to replace the vanilla. Removing the delete references did not work. How does one get to acquire the vibro blade, thermic lance and heavy thermic lance?
Took them from alien dead bodies, of course. :-)
Just as sonic weapons and other alien stuff.

Offline Kissaki

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 18, 2021, 09:27:21 pm »
Took them from alien dead bodies, of course. :-)
Just as sonic weapons and other alien stuff.
But I haven't encountered any aliens with vibro weapons yet. I got the research option from a calcinite autopsy, which is how it was in vanilla - and gives the impression that it's alien-inspired human tech.

Well, so long as the non-manufacturability is a feature, not a bug, I'm satisfied :)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 27, 2021, 05:46:05 pm »
I'm in what I assume to be the end game, and that means a lot of M.C. Shielded Freaks.

Is there is a reliable way to quickly bring those shields down? When they are bunched up together two disruptor bombs (one to bring them down to low levels or completely and the other to finish the job) does the trick, but that is overkill for a single abomination.

Offline injuras

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 06, 2021, 05:11:44 pm »
Korean translation for this mod(2.50) is finished.

Here is the YML file.

Thank you for making this wonderful mod.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: December 06, 2021, 06:52:51 pm »
Korean translation for this mod(2.50) is finished.

Here is the YML file.

Thank you for making this wonderful mod.
Great, thanks. Can i count on you after possible updates?

Offline injuras

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: December 07, 2021, 05:20:34 am »
Great, thanks. Can i count on you after possible updates?
Sure.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: January 19, 2022, 12:19:17 pm »
Hi Nord,

there are some new validations in OXCE for sprites (only when lazy loading is turned off).

For bullet sprites there will be a validation too.
For correct validation, the game will need to know whether a weapon is underwaterOnly or not (so that it can search in Projectiles or in UnderwaterProjectiles).

The following weapons are not marked as underwaterOnly, and there are no corresponding surface bullet sprites.
Please mark them as `underwaterOnly: true` in the next release (if they are indeed only meant for underwater usage).

Code: [Select]
Error for 'SERVITOR_WEAPON': Wrong index 770 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_INFECTOR': Wrong index 875 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_SPAWNER': Wrong index 805 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_SUPRESSOR': Wrong index 770 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_TANGLER': Wrong index 840 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'STR_TURTLE_HWP_ION': Wrong index 560 for surface set Projectiles
Error for 'XARQUID_WEAPON': Wrong index 560 for surface set Projectiles
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:20:53 pm by Meridian »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: January 19, 2022, 05:53:10 pm »
Sure. Will do.