Author Topic: [UFO MEGAMOD] Reaver's Faithful Megamod  (Read 75398 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [UFO MEGAMOD] Reaver's Faithful Megamod
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »
The problem is that mtpaint ignores the transparency setting and has no way of fixing it. The only way for me to fix a broken image is to copy its pixel data into an image with correct transparency. I had to figure this out in order to understand why all my images were getting broken.

So, I installed mtPaint... and changing transparency index looks incredibly easy to me... it's a very prominent input field when saving an image (both as GIF and as PNG), see attached.

What am I missing?

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2018, 05:59:49 pm »
When saving!? Why can't I change it during editing?? I would have never looked for it there!! Well thanks anyway. I am bewildered by its placement.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2018, 06:11:00 pm »
Why can't I change it during editing??

Because it depends on the image format/container.

The palette itself does not contain information about transparency... the image container (e.g. png, gif, etc.) contains this information saved completely independently of the palette.

PS: some palette formats (e.g. Adobe's ACT) can store information about transparency in their palette file... but in the final image, it will still be saved separately in two objects: object 1 = palette without transparency; object 2 = transparency index

PPS: of course, the GUI could make this easier to edit... but this way it is more clear what is actually happening :) "Made by Programmers (tm)"
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:13:05 pm by Meridian »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2018, 12:18:28 am »
PPS: of course, the GUI could make this easier to edit... but this way it is more clear what is actually happening :) "Made by Programmers (tm)"

mtpaint is hardcore ...

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2018, 03:55:25 pm »
The palette itself does not contain information about transparency... the image container (e.g. png, gif, etc.) contains this information saved completely independently of the palette.

I know it's separate of the palette, but isn't the palette part of the image container? I feel like I should have options to edit my image container in the Image menu.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2019, 04:53:52 pm »
Hi Reaver,

found a few images with wrong transparency indices in v1.0.5.
Attached are fixed images, if you're interested.

Code: [Select]
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/GS2_1.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/GS2_2.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/GS2_3.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/GS2_4.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_1.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_2.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_3.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_4.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_b_1.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_b_2.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_b_3.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/ImprovedLivingQuarters/LQ2_b_4.png (from lodepng) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0

I have replaced those with XComFiles versions, which were already corrected.

Image Resources/LargeFacilities/rbasebits_24.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0

Fixed manually.

Image Resources/RedBlueLasers/RedBlueLasers_bigobs.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0

Fixed manually.

Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Basebits/AWACS_base.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Basebits/Darkstar_base.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Basebits/Hawkeye_base.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Basebits/MiG31_base.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Basebits/Raven_base.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Basebits/Thunder_base.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Basebits/Tormentor_base.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0

Please note that new images are PNG, not GIF, so remember to delete the GIFs.
Updated extraSprites.rul is also included in the fix.

Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/AWACS_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/AWACS_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Darkstar_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Dropship_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Dropship_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Hawkeye_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Hawkeye_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/MiG31_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/MiG31_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Raven_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Raven_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Skyraider_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Thunder_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Thunder_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Tormentor_dogfight.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 255 instead of 0
Image Resources/XComFiles/Vessels/Inticon/Tormentor_minimised.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 127 instead of 0

Please note that new images are PNG, not GIF, so remember to delete the GIFs.
Updated extraSprites.rul is also included in the fix.

Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/Corridor.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperP1.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperP2.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperP3.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperP4.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperPC1.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperPC2.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperPC3.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeHyperPC4.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabP1.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabP2.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabP3.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabP4.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabPC1.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabPC2.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabPC3.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeLabPC4.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarP1.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarP2.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarP3.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarP4.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarPC1.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarPC2.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarPC3.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0
Image Resources/XenoOperations/Basebits/LargeRadarPC4.gif (from SDL) have set incorrect transparent color index 1 instead of 0

Fixed manually.

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2019, 10:19:50 pm »
snip by Meridian

I will have to update my mod with these too, as I use reaver's mod as a base, so Thank you Meridian
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:42:34 pm by Meridian »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:18 pm »
Thanks, Meridian. I have been avoiding this for so long because it's such a headache to tackle it. As always, you're a big help.

I have applied the fixes, run a brief test, and updated the mod on here and on the mod portal. If anyone finds any more incorrect transparency indexes, let me know here.

Offline Edwardtoist

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
UFO MEGAMOD Reavers Faithful Megamod
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 12:21:47 pm »
about fwiffo disappearing from the fleet after spathi finally slave-shield their homeworld: is it a bug or a feature?

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UFO MEGAMOD Reavers Faithful Megamod
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2019, 09:05:27 pm »
about fwiffo disappearing from the fleet after spathi finally slave-shield their homeworld: is it a bug or a feature?

Thats a completely different game, thats from Star Control 2, this forum is for OpenXCom and this thread is for a mod for OpenXcom, if you need help with Star Control 2, try here: http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/ they can offer much more assistance :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:09:49 pm by Lord_Kane »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2019, 10:31:06 pm »
FWIFF I always thought it was by design.

Offline Yeoman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2019, 02:52:29 pm »
I'm having fun with this mod, the money and base management are much stricter than in vanilla. Haven't gotten far yet but interceptions also seem more difficult and gives you good reason to build more bases to sustain a larger air force.

It becomes tough to decide when to start using plasma weapons because you can't make ammo on your own. However, it also makes the move to laser weapons a no-brainer and basically mandatory.

Being able to buy specialized soldiers makes it far less of a big deal if you lose good soldiers, which may not be a welcome change for some.

I don't really appreciate the additional hangar and transport in the starting base. Do players typically use more than one transport? Moving your soldiers' equipment from one to another is a pain in the ass. I just sell the Skyranger and use the Custodian. Seems like by the time the speed of the Skyranger becomes relevant (when you have UFOs all over the globe and deal with multiple crash sites at a time) you would have a built a second base with a second team.

I noticed that craft that you have not unlocked yet will sometimes show up in the base expenses menu. For example, I have researched UFO navigation and now I see Albatross listed in the base expenses menu even though I should only find out about that craft after also researching Elerium. Not sure if it's a bug with the mod or a limitation of OXC/OXCE.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2019, 11:52:34 am »
I'm glad to hear you're liking it!

I wasn't really satisfied with the craft, but it was a real struggle to figure out what to do with them. I have something much better in my upcoming mod, so I might consider doing a similar update to the transports for Faithful. I know some people prefer the faster transport (like my brother) and it's useful for catching landed UFOs, but really most people like to have a single transport.

I noticed that craft that you have not unlocked yet will sometimes show up in the base expenses menu. For example, I have researched UFO navigation and now I see Albatross listed in the base expenses menu even though I should only find out about that craft after also researching Elerium. Not sure if it's a bug with the mod or a limitation of OXC/OXCE.
Thanks for catching that bug. You inadvertently taught me something new: the tech requirement in crafts.rul is to determine when they show up in monthly expenses screen. I fixed the bug (and might fix one in the upcoming mod). But I consider it a minor bug so I'm not putting out a new version yet.

To do list:
1.) make transports better
2.) new bullets

Edit: Finished! New version 1.2.0 is out!
edit edit: scroll down just a bit for version 1.2.1.
I haven't totally fixed the Skyranger but it's got more of a purpose now. It has a weapon, meaning you can use it as an expeditionary interceptor, with its high fuel and radar range enabling it to patrol far away, shoot down anything it finds, and immediately run the ground mission. You'll still probably prefer the Custodian most of the time, but the Skyranger has a better niche use at least. And I moved the items in the starting base over to the Custodian.

In the spirit of upcoming Easter Sunday (tomorrow), I have delivered a few special updates such as minor graphics, sounds, or quality of life features. I'm not spoiling any of them anywhere, so you'll just have to discover them for yourself.

Also, I'm trying to get used to not spoiling every detail I add, like I used to do.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:54:32 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Yeoman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2019, 04:40:38 am »
Trying out the new version, seems that attempting to view the ufopedia entry of the rocket launcher crashes the game.

"OpenXcom has crashed: UFOpaedia Article STR_EXPLOSIVE_ROCKET not found"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:44:40 am by Yeoman »

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2019, 06:53:30 am »
Trying out the new version, seems that attempting to view the ufopedia entry of the rocket launcher crashes the game.

"OpenXcom has crashed: UFOpaedia Article STR_EXPLOSIVE_ROCKET not found"

I slapped together a quick temp patch for the UFOpedia issue until reaver can get around to fixing it. just extract it to the mod install and overwrite as needed.

Reaver has updated the mod. QUICKPATCH! removed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:49:22 pm by Lord_Kane »