Author Topic: Extended reaction fire  (Read 12125 times)

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Extended reaction fire
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 11:43:58 am »
There are certainly some good aspects to that system – it would for instance be really cool to be able to shoot or hide depending on what kind of target you see. Quite often I would prefer a, errm, tactical retreat when a cyberdisc comes around the corner rather than agitate it with whatever pea shooter I happen to have. The initiative aspect is indeed important, however, and even IF one could program in some sort of option to retreat, one question is, how many TUs would one get for it and how to tweak the interface to accommodate it.**
In JA2 enemies could interrupt even your interruption, as you could theirs. That efficiently ended the reaction turn you had. So you could try to shoot someone else than the one you interrupted, but every other soldier could react to your movement or actions and since it was their turn, they had enough action points to react. I think there was also some reactions bonus/penalty, not sure. As for the TU you would have - simple, the ammount you had left at the end of turn.

Offline Morrandir

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 11:54:34 am »
As for the TU you would have - simple, the ammount you had left at the end of turn.

As you know, in X-Com you don't get to use all your remaining TUs when you react: you get one snapshot and have to win initiative again to shoot the next one. So for consistency and balance, you would have to set some limit to the TUs you can use for moving, shooting, whatever.

Offline Morrandir

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 12:32:26 am »
New plus version is up. It's now possible to exclusively select a reaction fire mode by middle-clicking the reserve TUs button.

On click, the button's figure turns golden to show the selection and the figure in the other types disappears to show their exclusion from reaction fire.

The unit will then ONLY fire using that mode and it will therefore NOT fire at all if the conditions for that reaction fire type are not met. That is, if you exclusively select auto fire, the unit will not react if the target is beyond the distance for minimum reaction fire accuracy. Note that if the unit does not have TUs for the selected fire mode, it will not use another. This option is meant for very specific and granular control of the unit's reactions – if the consequences are not desired, use the normal right click instead.

I also added some fixes to how melee components of firearms are used in reactions, especially how to choose between a real melee weapon and a melee component of a firearm in dual wielding situations. There were other smaller fixes too.

These features have been added to the "plus" version that is still experimental and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/Morrandir-X/OpenXcom/tree/oxce3.5-plus-proto-ERF-plus

After I finish some more testing, I will update the standard Extended Reaction Fire mod with all these features.

Cheers,

~M~
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:59:00 am by Morrandir »

Offline Morrandir

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 01:18:41 am »
Hi, another plus version is up! I reworked the previously introduced ability to exclude fire modes from reaction fire. Instead of toggling an "exclusive selection", I opted for the more flexible – and now that I think of it, more obvious  :-[ – route of allowing the player to individually toggle any reaction fire mode as excluded or included. Simply middle click the corresponding reserve TUs button and voilà!

It is now possible e.g. to set auto fire as the preferred reaction fire mode and exclude snap shot, leaving aimed shot as the alternative to auto shot. If the target is too far for reasonably accurate auto fire, the unit will take an aimed shot. This can be quite useful for weapons where snap shots are not considerably more accurate than auto shots at long distances.

If all fire modes are excluded, only melee is left for reactions. (If you wish to not react at all, the Expend All TUs button is your friend.) I would like to add the possibility of excluding melee, but I am confronted with the limits of the system: there is no reserve TUs for melee button (duh!). Since the Don't Reserve TUs button has no function in the current exclusion system I use, it is technically possible to make it the "exclude melee" button. But there's no way that is going to be intuitive.

If anyone has thoughts on this, let me know – maybe I'll just make it so, and then at least anyone reading these posts would know how to exclude melee reactions. Another option is to start tweaking the buttons, but I wouldn't like to do so in fear of losing compatibility with other mods and versions (and because I suck at drawing).

As always, the Extended Reaction Fire Plus can be found here: https://github.com/Morrandir-X/OpenXcom/tree/oxce3.5-plus-proto-ERF-plus

Cheers,

~M~

Offline Morrandir

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 05:59:40 pm »
I merged the "plus" version to the Extended Reaction Fire. The link to ERF-plus no longer works: use the link in the first post.

Cheers,

~M~

Offline peirceg

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 12:13:23 am »
Hate to be a noob, but which folder do i put the files in? im assuming the the mods folder?

Offline Docent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 12:30:21 pm »
The folder with the mod must be put in openxcom/user/mods

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 12:37:44 pm »
This is not a mod.

Offline Morrandir

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 08:25:20 pm »
Extended reaction fire was never added to OpenXcom Extended and has not been developed for more than two years now.

Cheers,

~ M ~