aliens

Author Topic: [ABANDONED] Soldier Fatigue (similar to NuCom Long War)  (Read 11432 times)

Offline memmaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [Feedback] Fatigue?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 05:51:26 pm »
What about taking the one slot we have (currently mana) and make it completely configurable. So it could be mana, fatigue or whatever. Down to the hooks where the values would have to change.

That would not allow having mana+fatigue, of course. But I see no other way except redoing UI or having hidden stats.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 mit Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 11:56:25 am »
How exactly would it be different from what we have now?

Offline memmaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 12:00:22 pm »
That depends, if everything people would want with resources is already possible with mana, then there is no difference and the problem seems solved. But since the fatigue resource has been brought up it might mean not everything that is wanted for fatigue is possible with mana?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 12:03:13 pm »
To my view the only difference is under the hood, and therefore only a modder's concern. And a fairly trivial one, compared to some other stuff. But maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Offline memmaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 12:08:23 pm »
"Once the fatigue-meter hits 100%, the soldier doesn't want to go to a mission for a certain amount of Fatigue Days."

Take this for example: You cannot do that with the current implementation of the mana resource, afaik. Eg. If that mana resource is at 100% disallow embarking on missions.

It would need special code to handle that. I would propose not adding that code only for fatigue, but as a generalized moddable hook.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 01:42:58 pm »
Comments, ideas, flame-wars and other feedback is welcome.

Great idea. Do not forget about the possibility of relieving fatigue through soldierTransformation.

And by the way, on the mission of defending the base, fatigue should not extend in any way.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:56:29 pm by Ethereal »

Offline memmaker

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [Abandonned][Feedback] Fatigue?
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 02:50:34 am »
Just had a thought: What about using the tag system which Yankes implemented for the scripts for this feature? And extending and generalizing the ruleset additions to make them handle tags? Could be very powerful ;D

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 10:19:41 pm »
What about off site recovery from fatigue?  Things like shore leave or 3 day pass where the soldier wouldn't be present for missions or base defense while he's on leave.  While a base facility can reduce fatigue, the soldier is still available for missions/defense.  Perhaps existing mechanics could handle this, but I thought I would bring it up because I didn't see it mentioned.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 07:47:23 pm »
What about off site recovery from fatigue?  Things like shore leave or 3 day pass where the soldier wouldn't be present for missions or base defense while he's on leave.  While a base facility can reduce fatigue, the soldier is still available for missions/defense.  Perhaps existing mechanics could handle this, but I thought I would bring it up because I didn't see it mentioned.

Vacation is a cool idea, but I have no idea how it could be implemented.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 02:58:00 am »
Vacation is a cool idea, but I have no idea how it could be implemented.

What about using the transformation mechanic?  For reference see here https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6331.0.html  For example for a 3 day pass, just name a transformation as 3 day pass, have it reduce the fatigue level, and put the soldier in transfer for 3 days.  Don't actually change the soldier type.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 05:21:52 am »

it reminds me a bit Jagged Alliance (there was randomly absent, /unavalaible for assignment aany mercenary.. - while he,/she was on another mission.. )

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 11:24:54 am »
What about using the transformation mechanic?  For reference see here https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6331.0.html  For example for a 3 day pass, just name a transformation as 3 day pass, have it reduce the fatigue level, and put the soldier in transfer for 3 days.  Don't actually change the soldier type.

You know, this could work. I will seriously consider it.