Author Topic: Daiky's x-com project  (Read 30551 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Daiky's x-com project
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:17:33 pm »
Hello,

In another thread Daiky has written:
Hi, I found this project because I wanted to put my UFO xcom remake sourcode also open for public under the projectname OpenXCom Smiley
The funny thing is, I got most of the battlescape stuff done, but have nothing on the geoscape side. (The battlescape starts just by loading a battlescape savegame)
I've now downloaded your geoscape code, and I'm looking if I can combine both in one project... it will not be so easy because I did not use GPL but a game engine called Irrlicht, so there's some conversion to do... I don't know if it even will ever work, but it's worth the try.

Best regards,
Daiky

This sounds interesting, could you tell more about your project? I'm interested especially in Irrlicht - Does it mean that battlescape is in 3d? So, you used 3d models, textures, etc?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Daiky's x-com project
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:15:43 am »
Irrlitch is a 3D game engine yeah, I think it was considered at some point for Xenocide.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:05:52 pm »
Oh, I see I got my own thread :)

PS. in my post i ment "SDL" instead of "GPL"

The reason to choose Irrlicht as the engine was for me just because the original plan was to make it a 3D version of the game. When I had finished some playable battlescape; it had a character running around(pathfinding) a map (map generation), it could shoot wooden fences that are destructable (collision detection, 2 models per object:normal and destructed).
However then I realised I had to depend on modellers to create all this graphical stuff to make the game look any good.

At that time (I think it was 2005) there was no real "close to the original" remake in public. So I decided to do that instead (and make it OpenXCOM later on, like OpenTTD did). It is easier in a way, because your goal is very clear and I did not have to bother with graphics - they're done. Because I already knew Irrlicht, and it can do 2D as well, it was my obvious choice to use that instead of learning another engine. And would I ever want to go back 3D - the engine is ready for it.

At the same time I was also contributing to the opensource project UFO2000 (which uses Allegro as engine), so parts of the tactical code also comes from there (they will be properly credited when something goes public ofc).

I want to stay as close to the original as possible, although under the hood I have updated some file formats that are more common today:
- the tilesheets are all converted to PNG files and doubled in resolution, which is a much opener format so a graphical upgrade like UFO:the two sides is easely implemented by replacing old tilesheets with new ones.
- the midi music files are replaced with mp3 music files.

Some background info about myself:
I'm based in Belgium, Europe. I'm working as a software engineer for a big American software company for almost 10 years.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:31:38 pm by Daiky »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:24:21 pm »
This sounds interesting, could you tell more about your project? I'm interested especially in Irrlicht - Does it mean that battlescape is in 3d? So, you used 3d models, textures, etc?
So no 3D for now. This is for now just a solo project, but I can't do graphics, I only do coding (and music) so I have to borrow graphics somewhere to have a playable game. Which is much more satisfying than a game full of placeholders, which are basically just boxes where later the actual model should be, it looks dull :)

I golden rule in graphics for games is also that they are very consistent in style through the whole game, so in my opinion you either redo all graphics are you do nothing. (because the original ones were consistent)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:28:04 pm by Daiky »

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:30:00 pm »
This is interesting. What about posting some screenshots? From first (3d version) and second.

So, what are your current plans? You want to combine your code with openxcom code? Any progress?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:13:01 pm »
I have posted a screenshot from both versions on my blog: https://www.daiky.be/2010/08/x-com-ufo-remake.html

My current plans:
First of all, I'm currently struggling with the perfect User Interface for the tactical battle. I find the original one not very user friendly. But I don't want to go too far away from the original looks... in the screenshot you see my first attempt but I'm not happy with it. I think User Interface is an important part of the game, and I want it, like I said, to be perfect.
What is next... there as still some features waiting to be implemented: medikits, blaster launcher waypoints, mind control, some aliens special abilities like zombies and stuff, ...

Combine with openxcom code:
I'm looking into that, yes, just to see if it goes well to port it to the Irrlicht engine.

But right now, don't expect massive progress. I do have a job, a social life, and both WoW and SC2 to play :p

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:04:40 pm »
I have posted a screenshot from both versions on my blog: https://www.daiky.be/2010/08/x-com-ufo-remake.html

Those screenshots looks quite interesting.  Any chance to have them also full size?

My current plans:
First of all, I'm currently struggling with the perfect User Interface for the tactical battle. I find the original one not very user friendly. But I don't want to go too far away from the original looks... in the screenshot you see my first attempt but I'm not happy with it. I think User Interface is an important part of the game, and I want it, like I said, to be perfect.

Yeah, UI is really important - especially in such (strategy) games. For example IMHO Ufo: AI ui is not too good.

But right now, don't expect massive progress. I do have a job, a social life, and both WoW and SC2 to play :p

Heh, another project slowed by SC2 :P

Anyway, keep us informed. BTW, are you planning to make source available somewhere?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »
I fixed the blogpost so the images are clickable to view them full size.

I'm inspired by the UI of SC2 in the design I'm currently working on... :) minimap on the left, unit information in the middle, actionbuttons on the right... simple and functional.

OpenSource, yes, but only after some code maintenance and refactoring because clean code was never a priority. I already have to write clean code at work, at home I can let myself go :)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:41:05 pm »
Yes, TomVD, that's me. And I had registrated xcomufo3d.com for my project, that's already 4 years ago :)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:09:30 pm »
I wondered what happened to your project :) Now i know ;)

I'm also wondering how many ppl also here have tried remaking ufo :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:13:33 pm by michal »

Offline Eeyoocah5Moh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:17:51 pm »
I wish OpenXcom will have the same UI as original but with shortcuts for each action so mouse will be used only on map, but not on the panel.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:19 pm »
I wish OpenXcom will have the same UI as original but with shortcuts for each action so mouse will be used only on map, but not on the panel.
I totally agree with the shortcuts for actions!
I don't agree with same UI as original. For me it always has been a weak point in the original game; and today with higher resolution screens, UIs can contain more info for the user, so you have to click less buttons to get the same info (like a minimap and a soldier selection panel, see my blog link below)
https://www.daiky.be/2010/08/good-day-for-user-interface-prototyping.html

PS. And if you look closely to the screenshot, you will notice a subtile shadow at the feet of the soldiers... very small enhancement, but it makes a difference ;)

PS2. I was also looking for a way to soften the edge of the fog of war (by using shaders), but that enhancement is currently on hold.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:11:45 pm by Daiky »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:21 pm »
Is it same project?

https://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242026706

You had that website?
https://www.xcomufo3d.com/
Oh I remember that thread, I always liked that TFTD remix of yours. :D

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 09:11:17 pm »
Daiky - do you plan to release some tech demo maybe?