Author Topic: Making money  (Read 18546 times)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Making money
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 09:45:21 pm »
Well... Not necessarily. The earth is full of crazy bitches, while a Zombie is way more interesting to an independent research facility. :P
So a BL witch is nothing more than a crazy bitch plucked off the street?

.... ....solair, I love your work, but please review your lore : witches are psi trained, higher up, top echelons of the black lotus : They have training, sensitive information, and are MUCH more limited due to the time consuming process to create them

Consider the following : Supply and demand.

Witches : Very limited in supply, since they are supplied (CREATED) in proportion to demand, with training, ect : They are essentially like xcoms commisar officers ; rare, but very  important. Thus, losing one would be a big hit, because you need to train another, and you just lost a high rank officer

zombie : VERY common supply, and easy as hell to aquire, for anyone with a few guns and balls. Theres plenty to go around, on a global scale, and its much easier to aquire 100 zombies than 100 witches. They might also have demands, but keep in mind, supply is VERY common, and not exactly difficult to get either.  Its much easier for someone, be it a big organization, science institute, or even a common man, to acquire a zombie, then a live cult agent, so I figure it would be less.

Any science institution who could afford 20k could probably afford to pay any merc to bring in a zombie corpse for less, while abducting a LIVING HIGH RANKING OFFICER, of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CULT, is quite a feat, which should reflect a higher price.

....I think this should apply to all cults, really. Anyone of higher rank should have higher ransom price, at least by some.

And beasts should have a lower sell price, (For corpses...maybe higher for living?) as they really do seem a bit OP. Like I said, a 50 zombie hunt catches a cool 1 million dollars in corpses alone.

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 09:53:04 pm »
There is one really important moment about Zombies (and most mutants) - they are the source of valuable bio-plasma required for production of the Healing Gel. I guess it justifies the price of their bodies, dead or living.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 10:06:41 pm »
Thats actually another thing that got me (But I'm going off topic, sorry solair!) : blood plasma sells for 1/20th of the price of a normal corpse.

I forget the sell price of healing gel itself, but it not very big, IIRC. Does it even get more profitable than selling the bodies, when you consider paying the maintenance costs of engineers??

If not, then thats even more worrying : that a labor intensive, and expensive process yields a cheaper item than something essentially readily available.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:08:59 pm by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 10:25:18 pm »
So a BL witch is nothing more than a crazy bitch plucked off the street?

.... ....solair, I love your work, but please review your lore : witches are psi trained, higher up, top echelons of the black lotus : They have training, sensitive information, and are MUCH more limited due to the time consuming process to create them

Yeah, don't take me so seriously... I agree.

But what kind of profit can one make on a BL witch? First of all, she's a person, so you can't just pawn her off to some sort of lab - this isn't Piratez. Secondly, yes, she has some unique abilities, but her psi, while scientifically interesting, isn't exactly useful to a potential "owner".

Witches : Very limited in supply, since they are supplied (CREATED) in proportion to demand, with training, ect : They are essentially like xcoms commisar officers ; rare, but very  important. Thus, losing one would be a big hit, because you need to train another, and you just lost a high rank officer (...)

I get what you are saying, but they're not really that rare. Still, 15000 may be a little too low. But I'd have to consider the cost of many, many unit types, so it'll be some work.

And beasts should have a lower sell price, (For corpses...maybe higher for living?) as they really do seem a bit OP. Like I said, a 50 zombie hunt catches a cool 1 million dollars in corpses alone.

Agreed. I guess some repricing may be in order.

I forget the sell price of healing gel itself, but it not very big, IIRC. Does it even get more profitable than selling the bodies, when you consider paying the maintenance costs of engineers??

If not, then thats even more worrying : that a labor intensive, and expensive process yields a cheaper item than something essentially readily available.

Healing gel costs 18000 to produce and 22500 on sale. One standard zombie corpse sells for 20000, which is way too much... Fixing.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:26 pm »
I'm just comparing to say, the prices of the red dawn faction : 10 k for a ganger, 15 or so for a lad, 20 or so for a sailor, and 30 for a pioneer.... ...shouldn't this be similar for OTHER factions? Because it often isn't

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 10:51:30 pm »
I'm just comparing to say, the prices of the red dawn faction : 10 k for a ganger, 15 or so for a lad, 20 or so for a sailor, and 30 for a pioneer.... ...shouldn't this be similar for OTHER factions? Because it often isn't

Indeed, looks like I did it once blindly and never really sat down to evaluate. I'll put it on the list.

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:29 am »
That's why I designed OXC to not give you trivial missions. Every mission, or most of them, can still be somewhat dangerous if you aren't careful (except monster hunts vs. flying gear, but that's a necessary evil, and flying gear is hard to get while monster hunts are still going on). When you get stronger, simpler missions are usually phased out in favour of more difficult ones. I personally find it satisfying, though obviously I am not a very good candidate for a judge.
Solarius, first off I should tell you that I really like your mod (actually prefer it to the Piratez) and by no means I was criticizing your work, complaining about the chores missions.
I have impression that my agents and organization got strong fast because I was doing every single mission. I also focused strongly on the tactical advantage research (personal armour/lasers).
When you told me that there is a way to get rid of the most of minor missions, that was ok with me. I am not really sure if I want to get rid of spider/zombie missions, since they are a great source of money (500k easy) and training. I know I might be exploiting the system a bit and it is not the way you imagined it, but hey, there are as may ways of playing xcom as many players (and I am the one which always looks to get some advantage, upper hand and better position). It is not a console game like CoD which just drags you through the plot in some interactive cinematic, no reason to try to restrain players into one way of playing. I actually do not like that in new XCom series - too simplistic and restrictive, pushing player through the story.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:11:39 pm by bluberd »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 03:07:34 am »
But what kind of profit can one make on a BL witch? First of all, she's a person, so you can't just pawn her off to some sort of lab - this isn't Piratez. Secondly, yes, she has some unique abilities, but her psi, while scientifically interesting, isn't exactly useful to a potential "owner".

Brain dissection/vivisection. Provable ESP/ Psionic combat ability. The U.S. AND Russia had a remote viewing program and the U.S. for sure had a psionics research program that lasted for over a decade where millions of dollars were dumped into it.

Every tin pot dictator and superpower would LOVE to have something to look at and replicate.

food for thought.

-HH

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 09:01:11 am »
Brain dissection/vivisection. Provable ESP/ Psionic combat ability. The U.S. AND Russia had a remote viewing program and the U.S. for sure had a psionics research program that lasted for over a decade where millions of dollars were dumped into it.

Every tin pot dictator and superpower would LOVE to have something to look at and replicate.

That's all true, but in this universe psi users are relatively common, even if secret. So governments generally have access to them - if they are allowed to. ^_^

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 06:31:00 pm »
In the recent update you reduced the sell prices of zombie corpses. How about reviewing the sell prices of some animals, corpses and live ones? I'm specifically thinking about thoses you meet in large numbers, like spiders and beetles. I recently had a strange lifeform mission with 50 beetles. I managed to stun them all and got 1.5 mil.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 10:56:31 pm »
In the recent update you reduced the sell prices of zombie corpses. How about reviewing the sell prices of some animals, corpses and live ones? I'm specifically thinking about thoses you meet in large numbers, like spiders and beetles. I recently had a strange lifeform mission with 50 beetles. I managed to stun them all and got 1.5 mil.

It's on my todo list. :P

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 03:37:23 pm »
Just something i noticed as far as money making is concerned. You might want to take a look at the economics of ammunition production. I get around  60M/month with ~200 engineers producing and selling HWP rockets. Then again it might not be that far fetched, looking at real life military-industrial companies.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:39:19 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 06:40:26 pm »
Just something i noticed as far as money making is concerned. You might want to take a look at the economics of ammunition production. I get around  60M/month with ~200 engineers producing and selling HWP rockets. Then again it might not be that far fetched, looking at real life military-industrial companies.

The economy is not terribly polished yet, so yes, I expect there are such issues... But hey, you need to make money on something! ;)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 08:02:46 pm »

Thanks for the tip! It seems that just like vanilla XCOM, here you save the world from an alien invasion... While actively making the world more miserable by constantly selling weaponry to dictators and other criminal organizations.  ;D
NU-Xcom went a step ahead and had Arabs using plasma rifles as "pacification tools" and the like. No idea if the same joke is used in XCOM2 though.

niculinux

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 01:10:04 am »
I think there is one more thing to mention: what you expect from a game to make it interesting. Missions I dislike most are those that provide no challenge; they are just chores to be done.

That's why I designed OXC to not give you trivial missions. Every mission, or most of them, can still be somewhat dangerous if you aren't careful (except monster hunts vs. flying gear, but that's a necessary evil, and flying gear is hard to get while monster hunts are still going on). When you get stronger, simpler missions are usually phased out in favour of more difficult ones. I personally find it satisfying, though obviously I am not a very good candidate for a judge.

Agree on that! Expecially these mission when you pose like a surfer (cannot remember name) and you have knives only  :o :o :o and "trouble on sky resort" where actually things are a bit better since you may use sporting rifles...provided you bought them before unlike me...AARRGGHH  ;D