aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1056718 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1215 on: June 04, 2018, 11:40:43 pm »
No, shields operate on their own sets of resistances, qualitatively described in the articles written about each type.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 05, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »
I kept my 2 cents regarding shields for a while now and I'm kinda confused how they work and stuff.
Would it be more healthy to change every shield to the same exact design and work like this?:

A 100/25 shield absorbs up-to 100 damage and regenerates 25 damage at the start of your turn.
Shields gain no bonus from resistances. All excess damage (a shot did 120 damage) will be treated with the armor-values and resistances.

This simple approach would turn shields into a safety bubble you've to pop in the first place to deal actual damage.
Overkilling a shield with big shots or plenty of bullets would be much more rewarding now.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 05, 2018, 04:15:48 pm »
I kept my 2 cents regarding shields for a while now and I'm kinda confused how they work and stuff.
Would it be more healthy to change every shield to the same exact design and work like this?:

A 100/25 shield absorbs up-to 100 damage and regenerates 25 damage at the start of your turn.
Shields gain no bonus from resistances. All excess damage (a shot did 120 damage) will be treated with the armor-values and resistances.

This simple approach would turn shields into a safety bubble you've to pop in the first place to deal actual damage.
Overkilling a shield with big shots or plenty of bullets would be much more rewarding now.

Besides the separate resistances/damage modifiers, that's exactly how shields work.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 05, 2018, 06:48:28 pm »
Okay thanks.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 05, 2018, 10:04:47 pm »
But the resistances matter a lot! Type 1 shields (aka personal refractors used by the church) for example take only 50% damage from laser, 200% from fire, 250% from EMP, but get ignored completely by certain damage (e.g. cutting, piercing, daze). Type 2 shields (used by star gods and mercs I think?) are more of what you have in mind in that they act as a buffer for almost all damage (except maybe ranged cutting?) except fire ignores it and EMP deals 250%.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 05, 2018, 10:10:05 pm »
Method of delivery has no bearing on dmg type. Cutting is cutting.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 06, 2018, 01:38:53 am »
The entry isn't clear:

From experience, my melee gals had a tough time getting through the shields which leads me to think that type 2 shields absorb melee but not cutting (because it isn't mentioned above).

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 06, 2018, 02:25:59 am »
If we go by the types available on melee weapons in the pedia we have daze, cutting, concussive, bio, laser and plasma. that alot of vagueness about the term melee.

However, The types in the engine are not what's mostly displayed in the pedia entries. Dioxine's terms are generally better in clarity for reading and the feeling of the weapons they are attached too, but they are not the same as the in engine strings and references. In engine cutting=melee iirc.

We also know bio bypasses all shields.

So that entry should probably say something "...concussive, cutting, (and daze?)"   

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 06, 2018, 03:42:44 am »
I would love an entry like the ones for armor where all the damage types are listed next to percentages. Qualitative entries certainly are nice to read but they add a lot of ambiguity, especially when shields have no GUI presence besides flashing when hit.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 06, 2018, 04:27:55 am »
if you watch a shielded unit for a bit they have animation.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1225 on: June 06, 2018, 08:25:36 am »
Yeah it's a mistake, it should read Cutting not Melee.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 10, 2018, 12:34:45 pm »
Is berserker outfit intended to be limited to red codex or is that a mistake? (I am asking because furiosa armour is linked form Codex (Red or Gold), has no need for voodoo: destruction, yet it also links form berserker outfit which effectively limits it to red only)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1227 on: June 10, 2018, 12:43:29 pm »
Shit I forgot about Furiosa. Yeah, it shouldn't have Berserker as preq.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 10, 2018, 12:52:56 pm »
Damn, I could have been using it for months in my current playthrough!

Offline Serpentium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 10, 2018, 11:15:48 pm »
Here is the modified ruleset (using the recently released 0.99J2 version) that removes the Berserk armor from Furiosa's research requirements. Everything should be good, but let me know if there are any errors (if you're using Windows, copy piratez.rul into "Dioxine_XPiratez_0_99_J2\Dioxine_XPiratez\user\mods\Piratez\Ruleset").