aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034032 times)

Offline Griffin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2017, 03:33:47 pm »
Sorry for even need to ask, but i have trouble upgrading to the latest version.
(It´s the first time i even try to upgrade)

I am currently running:  0_99_F_4 and want to upgrade to the new 0_99_F_5

I have done following:  - Downloading the 0_99_F_5 version
                                     - Extracted this into a fresh folder
                                     - Copy the UFO and TFTD files from the F4 to the F5 folder

Now i should have a working 0_99_F_5 Version

Now the part were i have trouble:
                                     - I copied my latest .Sav-File from the F4 folder to the F5 folder.

Based on the "upgrade Savegame"-Thread i need now to edit this savegame.

Past versions seems to need to add and delete lines.
                                      F4 -to-> F5 seems only to need: "Delete the whole 'possibleMissions:' section in your save to avoid crashes."

I open my savefile and search possible mission -> Found it.

But were do i stop marking and deleting? What does belong to the possible mission section?
                                      Is the first line I don´t delete: "deadSoldiers:"?
                                      Or do I delete to much?

Or do I make other mistakes in upgrading?

Sorry for asking in this detail, but i tend to fuck up even the most easiest modding/edit actions -.-
Thanks for help.                           

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2017, 05:26:26 pm »
The save file separates sections based on indentation, so count the number of spaces before "possibleMissions:", then look for the next line that has the same number of spaces to indent.  Everything between those lines, including the line that has "possibleMissions​:" should be deleted. (Should all have greater number of spaces for indentation)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2017, 05:40:00 pm »
That's what i did and it just crashes at month rollover.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2017, 06:16:32 pm »
Do you have copies of the save before and after your edit?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »
Dioxine appears to have answered the issue in the bug thread. At least it hasn't crashed so far.

Offline AngelicJoker

• Sergeant
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2017, 11:54:00 pm »
Is there a way to see the environmental hazard type of a mission before the mission starts?  I've gotten screwed a few times because the girls weren't wearing armor designed for cold or hot weather when I could have easily changed their outfits before the mission.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2017, 12:08:57 am »
Sorry for even need to ask, but i have trouble upgrading to the latest version.
(It´s the first time i even try to upgrade)

I am currently running:  0_99_F_4 and want to upgrade to the new 0_99_F_5

I have done following:  - Downloading the 0_99_F_5 version
                                     - Extracted this into a fresh folder
                                     - Copy the UFO and TFTD files from the F4 to the F5 folder

Now i should have a working 0_99_F_5 Version

Now the part were i have trouble:
                                     - I copied my latest .Sav-File from the F4 folder to the F5 folder.

Based on the "upgrade Savegame"-Thread i need now to edit this savegame.

Past versions seems to need to add and delete lines.
                                      F4 -to-> F5 seems only to need: "Delete the whole 'possibleMissions:' section in your save to avoid crashes."

I open my savefile and search possible mission -> Found it.

But were do i stop marking and deleting? What does belong to the possible mission section?
                                      Is the first line I don´t delete: "deadSoldiers:"?
                                      Or do I delete to much?

Or do I make other mistakes in upgrading?

Sorry for asking in this detail, but i tend to fuck up even the most easiest modding/edit actions -.-
Thanks for help.                           

As say before, go for the bug thread.

Hmm, then try deleting just
        STR_MISSION_RAID
        STR_MISSION_SMUGGLING

from 'available missions' in 'alien strategy'

There are several  STR_MISSION_RAID and the other. You just delete then and no more problems at the end of the month.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2017, 12:16:16 am »
The only clue the player is given to weather is the area the mission is in. The geoscape is generally correct in matching battlescape terrain. White is cold, sandy is hot, jungle(hot) is the lighter green shade. 

Only time i have been caught unawares is pogroms that sometimes roll the winter city tileset(cold environment) regardless of geography. I also recall encountering a snowy farm tileset at one point but i dont know what governs it's appearance.

Offline Dr_Amazing

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2017, 01:04:36 am »
I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but night missions are really really dark. Like enough to be unplayable. The only source of light I have access to is Molotovs  which works, but is kind of inconvenient.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2017, 01:24:46 am »
There is an alternate lighting mode available for the player. Default is space for temporary use. Scroll lock toggles.

Offline Crazy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2017, 02:05:35 am »
It can be done but is a monumental pain in the ass undertaking. It's quite easy to simple run out firepower before success due to misses/low damage rolls. It is also faster then the heavy combat craft like the dragon which limits how much sustained dps you bring to bear unless it deigns to slow down for extended periods.

I managed it once and declared it a waste of resources and time. I also found the ground assault......nope no way to say this constructively so im just gonna shut-up before i start shouting at the hard work of someone i respect.
How is it difficult, exactly? I just tried the ground assault in quick battle with 25 soldiers in a leviathan using quad launchers filled with Chinese Dragons, and I was able to finish the mission in 1 turn  :P

Offline Dr_Amazing

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2017, 03:30:32 am »
2 more.

If I lose a mission, am I just stuck with expedition travel for a while? Or am I missing something?

What's the deal with the robot at the door of the watchtower. Is there a trick to getting past it besides blowing it up?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2017, 04:38:18 am »
How is it difficult, exactly? I just tried the ground assault in quick battle with 25 soldiers in a leviathan using quad launchers filled with Chinese Dragons, and I was able to finish the mission in 1 turn  :P

Depends on what you bring to the table in actual play. Dragon spam will of course wipe out anything but doing that way you eat a -800-1000 score. 40ish dudes(difficulty 4) With say 1/6th being marsec bodyguard clones, another 1/6th being Humanist Stormtrooper clones, 2/6ths Marsec operative clones, and the rest government agents. Armed with a mix of lasers and heavy weapons with a dash of plasma and gauss. And multiple tanks. Considering every kill not on the tanks is negative score, stunning and making sure they stay down with that many sturdy targets is difficult.

The Rebel version is much easier because aside from the general the rank and file are the civilians from pogroms with the same laser/heavy/plasma&gauss loadout. The absence of armor, the tanks, and no penalty for kills makes it much simpler to handle.   

Keep in mind its 30 turn timer to disable(stun or kill) everything. If you don't win before then you lose everything you sent. You also have no option to retreat. The difference between the 2 versions i observed is so large that it will lead to false impressions depending on which you see first. I saw the rebel version first and was like okay this is balanced to when it first unlocks. Government version however would probably bitch slap the same force that would be challenged by the rebel version.

2 more.

If I lose a mission, am I just stuck with expedition travel for a while? Or am I missing something?

What's the deal with the robot at the door of the watchtower. Is there a trick to getting past it besides blowing it up?

Aside from the eurosyndicate elimination, you can always retreat back to your craft(or the green exit zones in mansions) and escape. However if you do stay and lose every gal you lose everything. IF that happens to the initial airbus, yes you are stuck to expedtions until you can buy/build replacement craft.

You do have to get in by demolition. Though the wall of the tower don't explode. Try useing a hammer, chainsaw or pickaxe on them. 

Offline Crazy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2017, 05:00:26 am »
Depends on what you bring to the table in actual play. Dragon spam will of course wipe out anything but doing that way you eat a -800-1000 score. 40ish dudes(difficulty 4) With say 1/6th being marsec bodyguard clones, another 1/6th being Humanist Stormtrooper clones, 2/6ths Marsec operative clones, and the rest government agents. Armed with a mix of lasers and heavy weapons with a dash of plasma and gauss. And multiple tanks. Considering every kill not on the tanks is negative score, stunning and making sure they stay down with that many sturdy targets is difficult.

The Rebel version is much easier because aside from the general the rank and file are the civilians from pogroms with the same laser/heavy/plasma&gauss loadout. The absence of armor, the tanks, and no penalty for kills makes it much simpler to handle.   

Keep in mind its 30 turn timer to disable(stun or kill) everything. If you don't win before then you lose everything you sent. You also have no option to retreat. The difference between the 2 versions i observed is so large that it will lead to false impressions depending on which you see first. I saw the rebel version first and was like okay this is balanced to when it first unlocks. Government version however would probably bitch slap the same force that would be challenged by the rebel version.
I wasn't talking about the eurosyndicate missions. I always found those less a matter of being challenging because of the enemies, even on the government targetting missions, and more of it being challenging because you only have about 30 turns and they're always urban maps with big buildings that have so many nooks and crannies and you only have so much energy and TUs to burn on looking through all the doors. I was talking about the Silver Towers map. Just don't research them before you unlock MAG rockets and can level the entire building.

But yeah, as to the scoring that the mission offers you compared to the payout, it's really shit. It shouldn't be that difficult to create a new race that uses the same names, sprites, stats, and loadouts as other government units, but they have different scoring when you kill them. I get why the provincial government that you're fighting against wouldn't be too happy with you killing their people, but the Eurosyndicate being happy with you should balance it out, since scoring represents political favor and the Eurosyndicate is very wealthy, and therefore powerful.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2017, 05:21:19 am »
Eurosyndicate sees no gain in giving political backing to those who do its dirty work, especially work that is best kept secret. The reason they choose you over simply going straight for orbital strike, is because you're cheaper and cause less infrastructure damage. Their favor is paid in access to their top weapons. Yes they're ripping you off, exactly because they're rich and powerful, and you crave better guns to make your profits elsewhere. Quid pro quo.