aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033327 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 12:33:39 pm »
Tesla cannons or the anti shield missile is pretty much required to shoot down silver towers. They have over 1k shield and the highest sheild-regen rate of any foe. There are a few other weapons that have additional shield damage that can help.

Offline Blackbeard2090

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 02:35:35 pm »
ok, thank you!

I thought that avalanche missiles do 600 dmg also against shields. So 8 of them do 2400-4800 dmg. The shipinformation shows that silver towers have 2800 shieldstrength and 9 points of shield regeneration and 2100 health (4900 total ). Even without tesla cannons the avalanche missiles should easily destroy their shields but they dont. Has the shield dmg of avalanche missiles been reduced?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »
The issue is that Avalanches are slow, and the shield regen is very fast - they would take down the shield, but only if all of them hit simultaneously, which is pretty difficult to do even at the lowest dogfight speed. Medusa missiles aren't much better because of the low reload speed compared to the tesla cannon.  I'd suggest either trying again with 2-3 whalers with avalanches and a Sabre lead, or have a couple dedicated tesla cannon sabres to take down the shield, then a set of follow-up craft for a second interception to crash the towers.

Offline juff

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
It's actually 9x regeneration. I believe it's actual regeneration is about 63 per second, though I've not verified it.

Offline EricPhail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 03:47:56 am »
Do different enemy groups have favourite locations?

It's March of year 3 and all I've seen of the Reticulan's was two hyperwave detections right on the edge of my Asian Bases range (and they dissappeared before anything could reach them) so I'm wondering if they are all where I can't see them, or just VERY rare?

Haven't seen any Star Gods at all for that matter...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:50:00 am by EricPhail »

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 05:02:31 am »
... a couple dedicated tesla cannon sabres to take down the shield, then a set of follow-up craft for a second interception to crash the towers.

I've tried a few tests with 4 sabres armed with tesla cannons and no missiles, piloted by hands with full bravery, reactions and accuracy. In every case, a sabre was shot down before the four of them could collapse the shields. The shield regen on Silver Towers is insanely high.

Do different enemy groups have favourite locations?

I think it's all down to monthly RNG as to when and where faction specific shipping appears; I've gone 6 months without seeing the church make an appearance before. By March of year 3, Star God shipping should be enabled.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2017, 05:52:22 am »
No region is favored over another as far as spawns go. Factions are however NOT evenly distributed in spawning missions. The randomization is very streaky and the issue is aggravated by no faction having all possible enemy missions unlike vanilla. Peacekeeping for instance is not performed by minor factions. Only the guild runs freighters ect. The game selects a mission type then assigns a faction. Poor distribution results.   

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 06:32:25 am »
I've tried a few tests with 4 sabres armed with tesla cannons and no missiles, piloted by hands with full bravery, reactions and accuracy. In every case, a sabre was shot down before the four of them could collapse the shields. The shield regen on Silver Towers is insanely high.

Are you using the latest version of the mod? When extra shield damage was introduced, a typo in the ruleset caused the bonus not to take effect. When that was fixed, the regen on the towers was also lowered a bit.

Offline Blackbeard2090

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »
I think something went wrong with the silver tower shields regeneration rate.

I tested it with 3 sabres each with 2 teslas and 2 avalanche missiles and 1 dragon with 2 plasma beams and 2 fusion ball launchers. I fired the missiles after i reached tesla range so that the tesla cannons could weaken the shields before the missiles hit. Even after hits with fusion balls i could not destroy their shields.

We need new weapons!!! :)

edit: I use Version 099f.4
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:48:59 pm by Blackbeard2090 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 04:34:26 pm »
Got reports about successful interceptions, but if such armada can't defeat Silver Towers, looks like they need to be nerfed a notch.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2017, 04:44:22 pm »
That's starting to sound like a bug to me - the 6 tesla cannons are enough to negate the regeneration of the shields and provide a little damage beyond that, then the avalanches and fusion balls should have been plenty to take down the shield and the craft itself, plasma beams or not.  Do you have a save just before the interception?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 05:03:37 pm »
It can be done but is a monumental pain in the ass undertaking. It's quite easy to simple run out firepower before success due to misses/low damage rolls. It is also faster then the heavy combat craft like the dragon which limits how much sustained dps you bring to bear unless it deigns to slow down for extended periods.

I managed it once and declared it a waste of resources and time. I also found the ground assault......nope no way to say this constructively so im just gonna shut-up before i start shouting at the hard work of someone i respect.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2017, 05:12:58 pm »
It can be done but is a monumental pain in the ass undertaking.

Same here.

I managed it once and declared it a waste of resources and time.

Same here, except I managed it one less time. Don't remember the exact version, but it was already after introduction of shields.

...nope no way to say this constructively so im just gonna shut-up before i start shouting at the hard work of someone i respect.

Yeah, same here :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:14:29 pm by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2017, 05:15:08 pm »
Naturally the Silver Towers are designed to troll the player, both in interception and in ground assault. By no means I consider this craft fair. The only saving grace it has, it's guaranteed to provide a key capture. But it is possible to get that capture from other sources, too, and downing Silver Towers can generate a Star Gods Crackdown, giving you these other sources.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2017, 06:23:41 pm »
Dioxine, i'm gonna try real hard not be upset by that post.