aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1066805 times)

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3780 on: January 19, 2024, 07:19:31 pm »
There is only one hierarchy for everyone. Even dogs (they can't be promoted, but they count against the number of troops).

I don't think the number of dogs should affect which ranks the real troops are able to reach (if that was what you meant) - as far as I understand, unpromoteable troops don't really count for the purposes of promotions (or I just understood this OXCE fix wrong):

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/ae90c996601a5f977f57c76b1cd18ab82334339b

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3781 on: January 19, 2024, 07:22:49 pm »
I don't think the number of dogs should affect which ranks the real troops are able to reach (if that was what you meant)

Nobody thinks so, but that's how it is.

as far as I understand, unpromoteable troops don't really count for the purposes of promotions (or I just understood this OXCE fix wrong):

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/ae90c996601a5f977f57c76b1cd18ab82334339b

You know, I've never actually tested this, and never had so many dogs that it would become apparent. But this issue has been discussed many times and every time I heard the same: dogs count as soldiers for the purpose of ranking. Including from Dioxine.

The code you linked is very new, so it might be a recent OXCE change; I'm trying to follow them, but many escape me.

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: January 21, 2024, 06:33:51 pm »
The code you linked is very new, so it might be a recent OXCE change; I'm trying to follow them, but many escape me.
Running December build. Dogs don't affect Gals promotion.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 07:50:56 am by minimen »

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: January 21, 2024, 06:35:29 pm »
It's 1 Year 15 Jun. I haven't got stepper or wrench yet. Is it OK?

Offline Cimbri

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: January 22, 2024, 05:47:10 am »
Is there a hotkey to purchase items in larger quantities? Doing a Revolutionary run and getting scrap metal in that quantity without purchasing is difficult, and buying it by holding down the up arrow is a chore.

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: January 22, 2024, 07:49:59 am »
It's being 6 months. If I build a second hideout + outpost + few farms + 15 peasants for defense will I be making money or losing?
Soldiers get more salary when promoted. Will Gals get a promotion because of all the peasants on second hideout or promotion is not shared between hideouts?

Offline Jaedar

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: January 22, 2024, 08:14:49 am »
Is there a hotkey to purchase items in larger quantities? Doing a Revolutionary run and getting scrap metal in that quantity without purchasing is difficult, and buying it by holding down the up arrow is a chore.
In the options you can enable mouse wheel scrolling to change the quantity by 100 per scroll tick. It's still a bit tedious for truly large numbers, but a lot easier.
It's being 6 months. If I build a second hideout + outpost + few farms + 15 peasants for defense will I be making money or losing?
Soldiers get more salary when promoted. Will Gals get a promotion because of all the peasants on second hideout or promotion is not shared between hideouts?
The game counts your global soldier count for the purposes of promotions.

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: January 22, 2024, 10:34:23 am »
Well, you could try to get a peasant to become the boss instead...

But in my experience, these expenses aren't very important.
Really? Usually promotion get soldiers with more stats, no way peasants can beat Gals in this game.
I did an experiment. If I buy 20 dogs nobody gets a promotion but if I buy 20 peasants there are tons of promotions (see screenshot). X-piratez v.n7.0.3 OXCE 7.10 (2023-12-16)

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: January 22, 2024, 02:48:51 pm »
It's 1 Year 15 Jun. I haven't got stepper or wrench yet. Is it OK?

i guess you mean the "stapler"? it's an almost guaranteed drop on warehouse war missions (wrench too) - those missions unlock by building the mess hall.

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: January 26, 2024, 12:26:29 am »
Promotions are shared, gals will get a promotion (usually units with more stats get better rank, and top of the line peasant is barely as good as a slightly experienced gal)
15 units may trigger promotions - 4 bosses, 80k total, 1 mistress - 50k. maybe you will get a threshold for a princess, 100k. That's a single brainer, nothing to worry about.
Second base may give you much more money than that.
1. Radar coverage - more interceptions and landing. Millions right there.
2. You can offload facilities from your main base, like prisons - you want to run at the start like 3-4 of them to preserve rare-ish captures.
3. You can speed up your research. Mess hall adds a brainer space. I build bases ASAP, and beeline to the mess hall. 8 bases (depends on difficulty, ofc) - half of your lab.
4. Bases make a lot of money. Plantations suck, runts is where it's at. Early game runt den with a still, 3 extractors, and a hangar makes ~1.5M  a month on grog, and if you get apples, you get ~5m from chateau.

As an experienced player I usually do build a plantation base, but it's not the source of money from plantation, but as a material production, mostly sectoweed for money-making facilities, sometimes boom fruits.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: January 27, 2024, 12:04:22 am »
Depends on difficulty. Plantation income is difficulty-independent, while DJ and especially JS will KILL runt profitability.

Offline Fe-li-ne

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: January 27, 2024, 01:28:36 pm »
How would one go about replacing the music, is it as simple as just overwriting some files? i want to replace some of the geoscape music with 'Drunken Sailor'.

Offline BT000

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: January 29, 2024, 01:08:05 pm »
How to turn Craft's light off?

I use FAUST now, but it has light and shines my gals.
In darkness mission, my gals with NV and night-ops gear are shot from everywhere.
They have natural NV, why need turn light on?

my gals need to get the hell out and take distance from craft to not being shined for their lives.
Or shut themselves up in 1st floor like turtles.

JUST TURN LIGHT OFF GALS!

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: January 29, 2024, 10:33:32 pm »
How to turn Craft's light off?
During battlescape engagement click on pentagram near end turn button. Then select "Toggle personal lighting"

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: January 29, 2024, 10:50:47 pm »
There was sinking UFO mission and I ran into jellyfish looking creatures called huli-something. One creature eat two javelins and coral-xbow shot. It didn't even bleed (may be it has resistance against stubbing?). More then that  creatures has charm attack so I've cut my loses and withdrawal. Two gals died and three managed to escape. I wonder if I've could beat those jellyfishes by equipping Exquisite lingerie?

Dura thread bra has RF: Charm 85/30
Exquisite lingerie has RF: Charm 75/30
Which is better? How is it calculated?